How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

• 5 weeks later...

Bidenomics Breaking America: U.S. Oil Prices Jump Above $90 a Barrel, Gasoline Climbs Relentlessly Higher

Oil prices jumped on Thursday to a new ten-month high, with U.S. crude rising above $90 a barrel for the first time this year.

West Texas Intermediate crude rose by more than 1.9 percent on Thursday to reach a high of $90.29 a barrel, the highest level since November of last year.

Brent crude, the international benchmark most closely related to gasoline prices in the U.S., rose by nearly two percent to $93.68.

The rising price of oil comes at a particularly challenging time for American consumers. U.S. gasoline prices surged 20 percent last month, according to the producer price index data released Thursday. This accounted for 60 percent of the rise in the index for final demand goods, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

On Thursday, gasoline prices were once again on the rise across the nation. The national average gas price rose to $3.853 a gallon, up from $3.484 a day earlier. This is more than 50 cents higher than a month ago.

Saudi Arabia and Russia said last week that they would extend their cuts in oil supplies through the rest of 2023. This has pushed up oil prices, as intended.
The U.S. is also producing less oil than it could be. The total oil rig count in the U.S. is down to 513 from 591 a year ago.

The Biden administration’s policies are discouraging investment in domestic fossil fuel production by limiting production in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico, pushing automakers away from traditional combustible engines, and promising to reduce the use of fossil fuels in the years to come.

Efforts by the Biden administration to talk oil producers and refiners into increasing oil stocks have not succeeded in holding down prices.

“The Energy Department is in touch with producers and refiners to resolve any issues and to try to ensure stable supply,” White House economist Jared Bernstein told reporters on Wednesday.

With the U.S. strategic reserves at extremely low levels following President Biden’s decision to flood the market with government owned oil in the run-up to last year’s midterm Congressional elections, there’s no ready supply that can be brought online quickly to fill the gaps in supply. Biden released 180 million barrels from the reserve starting in March 2022, bringing the strategic stockpile to its lowest level in four decades.

Although the Biden administration has repeatedly promised to refill the strategic reserves, it largely failed to do so. Critics say that the administration made a significant policy error when it failed to quickly restock the reserves when oil prices were relatively low earlier this year.

The Biden administration recently said it would delay plans to restock the nation’s reserve because prices had moved too high.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-discussed-fuel-supply-prices-181357708.html

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for confirming that you’re a clueless moron Jennifer, with no power or authority to do much of anything for the American people. Guess it’s time we elect people who can. 

But hey, she hasn't resigned, so...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Sure. . . . . .     🙄

It always has amazed me how many incompetent people get these positions... same with the private sector. We've all known a boss or someone in power at a company or firm that can't find their ass from a hole in the ground. It's basically who you know a lot of the time. Or, who you...

• Like (+1) 1

Well from what i'm understanding because the blind faith that the ignorant politicians of the US gov't have put those that have put forth the agenda of a one world economy soon there could be a huge jump in prices & possibly so much that it could cause a famine of sorts .

And the great thing is it all happened long before Trump came along but he was the stiff POS that was trying to turn it around & got roasted at the stake for it ...

Thanks G.W. Bush, Obama, Clinton, G. Bush & many others for selling our country to the enemy all in the name of the back door dollar !! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Wegmans:

1 pound of deli chicken - 15

8 sub rolls - 8

3 generic hand soaps - 5

2 bottles of shampoo - 10

banana - 2

Bag of apples - 6

milk - 4

2 cartons of eggs - 5

1 loaf of bread - 5

2 yogurts - 10

70 dollars.   

Inflation “reduction”

I found your list’s lack of leafy greens alarming 

• Haha (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

If the global economy keeps contracting, deflationary factors will take place. 

people hate inflation.  business and government hate deflation.

I think govt's want interest rates to go down.  T- Bills at recent record rate increasing cost of servicing debt.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

wow.  u must be watching fox.  The trump economic advisor said the genesis of inflation was Biden spending 6 tril.  Then mentioned that trump spent too much money too...his debate opponent just said home sales are up 30%, didn't give the term.  But the trumper didn't rebut it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

wow.  u must be watching fox.  The trump economic advisor said the genesis of inflation was Biden spending 6 tril.  Then mentioned that trump spent too much money too...his debate opponent just said home sales are up 30%, didn't give the term.  But the trumper didn't rebut it.

the shadows on the wall are always that way.  its wise not to reply to a strawman.  

New and existing home sales are still down.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/existing-home-sales

Existing-Home Sales (nar.realtor)

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

the shadows on the wall are always that way.  its wise not to reply to a strawman.  

New and existing home sales are still down.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/existing-home-sales

Existing-Home Sales (nar.realtor)

not a straw man.  apparently a falsehood.  and the trump economic advisor was apparently unaware....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

not a straw man.  apparently a falsehood.  and the trump economic advisor was apparently unaware....

pretty sure it was an attempt to pivot to another topic as the spending by both admins have drove this inflation.  on top of other issues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, Irv said:

No.  Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.  You like paying more for everything?   Honestly, it's completely unbelievable somebody could be so brainwashed.   But it probably doesn't impact someone like you who takes handouts on the backs of the worker.  What a mess.        

Biden definitely made inflation worse, but the COVID rates of 2% on home loans were way lower than "normal."  Same with gas prices.  Gas fell to around $1.60 here during COVID, which was great, but also not "normal."  

Why is Trump never involved in the inflation talk?  He gave out more COVID money than Biden.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Depends on what shadows on the wall the person's  watching?

Maybe because people's personal economies were not struggling as bad as now?  

pure partisan ideology?

And at the end of the day, it's the house with the purse strings.

I don't have a solid opinion/answer though. just spit balling

Edited by Tommy Callahan

45 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Why is Trump never involved in the inflation talk?  He gave out more COVID money than Biden.  

because it's another inconvenient truth.  apparently gas demand is steadily going down.  i've noticed i don't need to use my middle finger so much while driving...what is it with not using blinkers and having MAGA stickers?  there's a def correlation....

14 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

because it's another inconvenient truth.  apparently gas demand is steadily going down.  i've noticed i don't need to use my middle finger so much while driving...what is it with not using blinkers and having MAGA stickers?  there's a def correlation....

Yea.  Global shipping has been trending down 

90% of the gas used domestically, is commercial trucking. 

Nice story though 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

link?  that would be good.  less people buying stuff on credit would bring down inflation, cool things off.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gasoline/use-of-gasoline.php

"Light-duty vehicles (cars, sport utility vehicles, and small trucks) account for about 91% of all gasoline consumption in the United States.2"

good story tho....

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

link?  that would be good.  less people buying stuff on credit would bring down inflation, cool things off.

Consumer credit numbers.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/g19/current/default.htm

Gasoline and Diesel stats (click a box to view)

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_sum_mkt_dcu_nus_m.htm

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

yeah, i don't want to download to excel.  he said gas, not diesel....

so people are borrowing more and gas prices are predicted to drop 25-50 cents in the relative short term.  Not in part due to dec demand as my linked yahoo finance piece stated?

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yeah, i don't want to download to excel.  he said gas, not diesel....

so people are borrowing more and gas prices are predicted to drop 25-50 cents in the relative short term.  Not in part due to dec demand as my linked yahoo finance piece stated?

Yup.  There's typically a seasonal decrease in demand after Labor Day which begins to increase with Thanksgiving travel and the December and New Years holidays and then drops off again until Spring.  If there's something more like an economic slowdown or a big hit on demand from prices that could be part of it.

My first job after college was as a statistician where one of the things our team ran was energy demand forecasting models.  We gather traffic volume stats, several types of data series, developed coefficients of demand to create the model and then ran forecasts a year out.  It was pretty accurate in both actual demand and identifying shifting demand patterns throughout the State over the course of the year.    

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Yea.  Global shipping has been trending down 

Nice story though 

In all honesty, I have never seen a vehicle that was decked out in MAGA. They could drive worth a ***** they seriously drive with an I don’t give a ***** attitude about anybody on this road but me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, cle23 said:

Biden definitely made inflation worse, but the COVID rates of 2% on home loans were way lower than "normal."  Same with gas prices.  Gas fell to around $1.60 here during COVID, which was great, but also not "normal."  

When it comes to covid I think because one was during time of genuine unknown and the other was dragged on and on and on when every metric gave clear answer that the lockdown/close down/ punish the unvaxed strategy to "defeat the virus" was complete bs destruction of the US dollar just to achieve political divsion. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

When it comes to covid I think because one was during time of genuine unknown and the other was dragged on and on and on when every metric gave clear answer that the lockdown/close down/ punish the unvaxed strategy to "defeat the virus" was complete bs destruction of the US dollar just to achieve political divsion. 

Wow.  what a huge and very "successful" conspiracy covid was.  And who was president when it began?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

And you are literally defending the person who presented the lie, while denigrating the person who was not sure 

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

And you are literally defending the person who presented the lie, while denigrating the person who was not sure 

c'mon.  they're both talking heads.  But they should both know their stuff.  Apparently neither did which is not good.  Fox needs better "analysts" as if that's surprising.  But good to see a con out to play this am.....NPR and PBS have excellent experts from both sides if you're looking for a change.

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Wow.  what a huge and very "successful" conspiracy covid was.  And who was president when it began?

As usual i have no clue what your post has to do with my point besides help it.

Covid was not a conspiracy. It started in china with the help from american taxpayers funding a illegal gain of function experiments that were in place long before and long after trump.

Im not sure who was in charge at the time of patient zero other then a childish expectation to blame one singular man purely on political bias for somthing that did not even happen in the country he was in charge of.

But if the expectation is he could of insulated america from the virus that effected the rest of the world i would start with his travel ban from asia the idiot liberals decided was based on race...SHOCKED and not in attempt to prevent spread. That would be the only real way to not be the 'president when it began"

Now if youd like to reply to the actual subject about differences in damage caused by the two administration based on information available and effectivness by all means you can start at anytime. 

Idiots wore glovebox paper on their faces when mult studies showed it did nothing. Idiots demanded a economy remain closed when every fact showed we ALL were going to get it and its leathality was no cause to do anything but protect the most vulnerable and open states saw no difference in deaths. Idiots demanded vax be mandated while natural immunity was completely ignored and pharma was..and still is given complete immunity. 

I could go on but i dont think this is or will become a sincere discussion. But i challenge you to give the trump administration/ republican idiocy for contrast. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

As usual i have no clue what your post has to do with my point besides help it.

Covid was not a conspiracy. It started in china with the help from american taxpayers funding a illegal gain of function experiments that were in place long before and long after trump.

Im not sure who was in charge at the time of patient zero other then a childish expectation to blame one singular man purely on political bias for somthing that did not even happen in the country he was in charge of.

But if the expectation is he could of insulated america from the virus that effected the rest of the world i would start with his travel ban from asia the idiot liberals decided was based on race...SHOCKED and not in attempt to prevent spread. That would be the only real way to not be the 'president when it began"

Now if youd like to reply to the actual subject about differences in damage caused by the two administration based on information available and effectivness by all means you can start at anytime. 

Idiots wore glovebox paper on their faces when mult studies showed it did nothing. Idiots demanded a economy remain closed when every fact showed we ALL were going to get it and its leathality was no cause to do anything but protect the most vulnerable and open states saw no difference in deaths. Idiots demanded vax be mandated while natural immunity was completely ignored and pharma was..and still is given complete immunity. 

I could go on but i dont think this is or will become a sincere discussion. But i challenge you to give the trump administration/ republican idiocy for contrast. 

next time you have surgery, ask the entire OR team to remove their masks and cough on your wound.....

I was responding to this:

defeat the virus" was complete bs destruction of the US dollar just to achieve political divsion.   sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. which is of course, nuts....

15 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

next time you have surgery, ask the entire OR team to remove their masks and cough on your wound.....

I was responding to this:

defeat the virus" was complete bs destruction of the US dollar just to achieve political divsion.   sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. which is of course, nuts....

You claim to be a doctor and dont know the difference between n95 grade mask and intense sanitation standards are required and what idiots who walked around carring rags on their face they pull out their pocket declared was prevention of spread? 

If a doctor does surgery on me and says hold on i left my mask and gloves in my glovebox from the last one. I think your getting a serious infection either way. 

Lets not pretend the democrats demanded any type of authentic prevention methods for saftey. Im sure they were laughing at all their followers that were saran wrapping their heads  as they sipped wine at the multiple events they were caught...gulp MASKLESS! 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1