How Do You Define "Binge Drinking"?

Tiberius

I was surprised by the definition. I thought binging was like drinking for hours or days at a time 

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking alcohol that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 percent—or 0.08 grams of alcohol per deciliter—or higher. For a typical adult, this pattern of alcohol misuse corresponds to consuming 4 or more drinks (female), or 5 or more drinks (male) in about 2 hours. Research shows that fewer drinks in the same timeframe result in the same BAC in youth; only 3 drinks for girls, and 3 to 5 drinks for boys, depending on their age and size.1

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/binge-drinking#:~:text=The National Institute on Alcohol,alcohol per deciliter—or higher.

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I was surprised by the definition. I thought binging was like drinking for hours or days at a time 

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking alcohol that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 percent—or 0.08 grams of alcohol per deciliter—or higher. For a typical adult, this pattern of alcohol misuse corresponds to consuming 4 or more drinks (female), or 5 or more drinks (male) in about 2 hours. Research shows that fewer drinks in the same timeframe result in the same BAC in youth; only 3 drinks for girls, and 3 to 5 drinks for boys, depending on their age and size.1

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/binge-drinking#:~:text=The National Institute on Alcohol,alcohol per deciliter—or higher.

what you're describing is what we functioning alcoholics call a bender.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I was under the impression you could hit .08 with one pint of a good IPA.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Had a 9 ounce Pliny the Younger a couple weeks ago, that probably put me at .08, but it didn't stop me from having another 🤣

Good for you! I like your spirit! 🍺 🍺 

I have a buddy who had his own personal breathalyzer gadget. Sometimes he’d be close to the limit BEFORE he had anything to drink, and sometimes  it would say he was safe when I knew for a fact he was WAY OVER! I hope nobody got in trouble with a false sense of security from that piece of crap thing. It was no better than a Magic Eight Ball. I’m surprised they even sell them for fear of liability, not only from arrests but any accidents/injuries that might happen. I think he got it at a drug store. Or maybe at the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 drinks in 2 hours does seem a bit aggressive, or like you are simply trying to get drunk as fast as you can.

That's a drink every 24 minutes for 5 consecutive drinks.

Then again, it depends on the occasion and how much fun you are having.

23 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm running a real time baseline experiment on binge drinking right now. Results to follow. 

I don’t know how sambvca shots play into the equation, but regardless I'm safe at home. A nice bit of Chick-fil-A here. Eating random waffle fries. So far I'm a fan of binge drinking. 

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

That IS actually me 0:)

Awww……you look so……peaceful.   😋

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I don’t know how sambvca shots play into the equation, but regardless I'm safe at home. A nice bit of Chick-fil-A here. Eating random waffle fries. So far I'm a fan of binge drinking. 

You’re 36 minutes in. You seem to be quite good at this. I think you have found your calling! 

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm clearly exhausted from an excess of fishing!

“Fishing” can be exhausting! And it makes you so thirsty! 

Seriously, we went to Boca Grande, FL for tarpon fishing one time. Talk about exhausting! I was the first and only one to hook a tarpon. I had NO idea what I was in for!  That is a SERIOUS battle, and my biceps were burning. I was pretty active and fit at that point, but I was struggling with this beast. I have my wife, and both boys with me, both gym rats who did well in the HS state weight lifting championship. The older one could bench 400 lbs+ without warming up. THEY should be doing this $%^#!

Unfortunately, I can’t hand it over to one, and not the other, so I’m stuck! I’m trying to think of a way out of it, but I’m trapped. I battle it out and get it up to the boat, only to realize how enormous and menacing this thing is! That guy had to release it pretty damn fast or I was going to throw his expensive gear into the water! 

That was cool to do………once. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

“Fishing” can be exhausting! And it makes you so thirsty! 

Seriously, we went to Boca Grande, FL for tarpon fishing one time. Talk about exhausting! I was the first and only one to hook a tarpon. I had NO idea what I was in for!  That is a SERIOUS battle, and my biceps were burning. I was pretty active and fit at that point, but I was struggling with this beast. I have my wife, and both boys with me, both gym rats who did well in the HS state weight lifting championship. The older one could bench 400 lbs+ without warming up. THEY should be doing this $%^#!

Unfortunately, I can’t hand it over to one, and not the other, so I’m stuck! I’m trying to think of a way out of it, but I’m trapped. I battle it out and get it up to the boat, only to realize how enormous and menacing this thing is! That guy had to release it pretty damn fast or I was going to throw his expensive gear into the water! 

That was cool to do………once. 

While I respect and admire the effort, that is exercise not fishing :devil:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.