Q. How much money are the Bengals Going to Offer Brandon Scherff?

st pete gogolak

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s not a statue.  Not even close

No he isn't Brady esque but he is a guy who has to make his living from the pocket and that does mean it is even more important for Cincy to build the OL than for Allen, Mahomes or Herbery because if I am a pass rusher I know where Joe Burrow is going to be. Those other guys are athletic enough not to be where I expect them. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s not a statue.  Not even close

Yeah he's not a statue at all..........but he definitely keeps his eyes locked downfield and holds the ball in the pocket looking for the deep shot........and he has a great, deep WR corps..........and  that causes a lot of his own sacks.    Bengals seem to dial up a lot of deeper throws as well.    Still no idea what they were thinking on that 4th and 1 that sealed the game.........didn't appear to be much option underneath.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No he isn't Brady esque but he is a guy who has to make his living from the pocket and that does mean it is even more important for Cincy to build the OL than for Allen, Mahomes or Herbery because if I am a pass rusher I know where Joe Burrow is going to be. Those other guys are athletic enough not to be where I expect them. 

Yeah, there’s a lot of middle ground between being “a statue” and being allen, Mahomes and Herbert.  Burrow is smack dab in the middle imo 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's not a statue at all..........but he definitely keeps his eyes locked downfield and holds the ball in the pocket looking for the deep shot........and he has a great, deep WR corps..........and  that causes a lot of his own sacks.    Bengals seem to dial up a lot of deeper throws as well.    Still no idea what they were thinking on that 4th and 1 that sealed the game.........didn't appear to be much option underneath.

Yeah, looked like Taylor (or whoever calls the plays there) got cocky. They wanted to seal the FG position on that play while using the rest of their opportunities to get in the end zone. Had confidence in their boy burrow but forgot about the best defensive player ever (imo).

• Agree 2

He's not returning to Washington. They franchised him two years in a row already and he wouldn't sign a long term deal with them either year. If he wouldn't do it over those two years, I don't see him doing it now. And the third year Franchise Tag is EXTREMELY expensive and prohibitive. He'll be signing elsewhere.

Would love to have him, but it would cost a FORTUNE. And with the Line looking as good as it did with Ryan Bates, I'd use that kind of money elsewhere. Tender Bates, restructure Daryl Williams as he was signed as a Tackle and is now playing Guard, and add some top tier depth.

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

We're not going to go after Scherff, not at $18 million, not at $10 million.  I think we'll add depth to the OL with mid-round draft picks.  Everyone complaining about "too many high draft picks being devoted to defense" is falling into sunk cost fallacy.  Where can we get most help immediately from FA and the draft?  I think it's going to be some variation on veteran outside pass rusher on relatively bargain basis (Melvin Ingram?) and help at cornerback and possibly linebacker.  Would it be nice to add a  #1 round WR or RB?  Sure but I just don't see it.  

I can assure you that I don't belong to the "we invested too much to defense" category - I understand that it does not matter what we did in the past, we just need to do what is best moving forward. If that is drafting 3 DL in first 3 rounds, so be it.

However, I do think that key to our success is OL. I'd say draft one high and get best one you can in FA. If Scherff is too expensive, then get the next one. But we can get him for 13AAV I'd do it in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

He's made $12M, $15M and then $18M the last 3 years.  I doubt he'll accept just $12M.  Maybe closer to $16M than $18M.

Where did you get 12M? I said Sportract has him at 12,9M, and I suggested 40/3. Maybe its too low, I don't know. If it is 16M, then thats obviously too much. Get the second best OL then :)

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

They should build an indoor practice facility first 

..and an outdoor one for the Sabres....

5 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

It all depends on how much loose change Mike Brown can find in the couch cushions...

...and how much “Cincinnati Bengals, Super Bowl LVI Champs !!” merchandise he can sell....

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Where did you get 12M? I said Sportract has him at 12,9M, and I suggested 40/3. Maybe its too low, I don't know. If it is 16M, then thats obviously too much. Get the second best OL then :)

$12M is what he made in salary in 2019. Spotrac is estimating $12.9M.  He’ll get a lot more. 

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

A. A lot.

B.  Whatever it takes.

C. A ####load.

Honestly, has a team ever had an easier offseason than the Bengals?  $50 million under the cap.  Spend it on two quality OL and draft a couple more.  On the other hand, I'm not as afraid of the Bengals' cap space as some others on the board.  Do you really expect Mike Brown to spend to the cap?

I heard he contacted the Cracker Jacks people about providing the Super Bowl rings last week. Dodged a bullet and escaped that expense! 

Edited by Augie

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If I were the Bengals I steal Orlando Brown from KC, slide Jonah Williams over to the right tackle and still try to sign a guard like Scherff or Norwell. 

Signing Brown hurts KC and gets you a cornerstone left tackle who is only 25. 

Doubtful Brown goes for either (both will be very expensive), considering how much he’s going to have to budget for Burrow next off-season. 

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

It's not like it was man coverage on the boundary though.  It's probably cover 4 or something like that when facing an empty set.  If he doesn't hold there the safety is already coming up to hit kupp before the end zone.  If its lead too far that safety can challenge the catch point, pick it off, or hit him hard to force an incompletion. 

The hold was unnecessary in that zone look.  The underneath defender took the RB check down.  The outside leverage guy took the over the top route knowing the safety is there inside, and the safety bolted for kupp as soon as the checkdown gets covered.  I'm not sure its a completion even without the hold.  

I'll defer to the former players I've heard discussing it. 

4 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yeah, some of his problem with sacks is likely decision making (holding it too long), along with poor line play. I just don't feel like he moves all that well for a modern QB. 

I thought he showed pretty good pocket sense and mobility vs. the Chiefs for a QB who is not noted for his "dual threat" chops.

I think something the Rams adjusted in the 2nd half was confusing him, and for sure confusing the Bengals OL which started to look like swiss cheese.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If I were the Bengals I steal Orlando Brown from KC, slide Jonah Williams over to the right tackle and still try to sign a guard like Scherff or Norwell. 

Oh now that's an interesting thought

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah that makes sense........though Brown isn't a great pass protector.

Norwell is a former Ohio State Suckeye so Cinci might be a very attractive destination for him.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Doubtful Brown goes for either (both will be very expensive), considering how much he’s going to have to budget for Burrow next off-season. 

They still have Burrow cheap for 2 more years plus the 5th year option. They can totally afford two premium offensive linemen this offseason and can simply front load the deals. They are crazy if they use their cap space for anything else. 

9 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

He moves more like Matt Stafford than Josh, Mahomes, Rodgers, Lamar etc. And yes you're right alot of his sacks are holding the ball way too long.

He’s not a world beater with his legs, that’s no doubt, but we aren’t talking about Drew Bledsoe either.  He’s mobile in the pocket and has had a little success taking off when the opportunity presents itself.  He’s most definitely a passer that can take advantage of an opportunity, unlike Josh who can CREATE opportunity with his legs.  Josh also holds the ball too long, the difference in the two is the ability to make things happen with their legs, Josh has a special ability, Burrow is more likely to take a sack.

11 hours ago, Beerball said:

They might want to invest in a DC. A LB responsible for Cupp?

Eli Apple isn't an LB.  But he is an awful CB.  He killed the Bengals.

9 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Won't be a popular take I'm sure with all the Joe Burrow lovers out there, but he's a ***** statue out there and they will need to spend a ***** ton of money on the OL to keep his gimpy ass upright.

He's pretty mobile.  He has the same Pocket Time (snap to pass or pressure) as Allen.  Despite getting pounded, he was the most accurate passer this year, had by far the most YPA and had more passes over 20,30,40 and 50 yards than Josh.

He's hardly a statue.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They still have Burrow cheap for 2 more years plus the 5th year option. They can totally afford two premium offensive linemen this offseason and can simply front load the deals. They are crazy if they use their cap space for anything else. 

I was talking after the 2022 season, where they'd be in the same position the Bills were this past off-season.  They'll want to lock him up earlier rather than later.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t really care what the bungles do they might not even win they’re division next year , we better upgrade our G / DL / CB2 positions if we want to be in the SB next year , and then even WR2 and ( IMO ) a RB as well 

Edited by Putin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.