Davis Webb on FA visit with NYG (update - signed)

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

We're at a point as a team where we need an experienced backup qb to give us a chance to win games if Josh goes down for a few games, and not worry about how much we can get for said backup in a trade. Those were the good old days when we weren't expected to be in the playoffs. As we saw this year a game or two has large ramifications on playoff seeding.

Pittsburgh did this with Charlie Batch, he was a backup who could come in and play ok as well as be a sounding board for Ben. Fitz could be that for us, if he was willing to accept that he is the backup and do the things that position requires. I could see Josh and Fitz getting along well too.

Who were Bradys Backups?  If Fitz is willing to hold a clipboard for League Minimum OK.  Anything more not thanks.  just go get a rookie 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, stevewin said:

That's a cool connection with Havlicek, but as an old Buffalo Braves fan I still hold a hatred for the Celtics deep in my heart.  I will say one time when I was a kid for some reason we were in the hotel the Celtics were staying at in Buffalo (maybe a brunch or something?) and all their players were in the lobby - and probably somewhere still in my Dad's house is the piece of paper from that day with autographs from Jo Jo White, Havlicek, Cowens etc - even Heinsohn. 

5ee3c0279363b.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Jesus don't get me started.  The powder blues with Bob McAdoo and Randy Smith brings back great memories.  Screw John Y Brown and the LA Clippers until eternity ends. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Who were Bradys Backups?  If Fitz is willing to hold a clipboard for League Minimum OK.  Anything more not thanks.  just go get a rookie 

So you're going to compare what BB* does with rookies vs the rest of the league? No thanks, I'll spend the extra for the insurance with playoffs/positioning on the line.

Brady did have plenty of both rookie and veteran backups over the years. The other point is that Josh runs more than Tom and the chance we will need someone is much greater.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

So you're going to compare what BB* does with rookies vs the rest of the league? No thanks, I'll spend the extra for the insurance with playoffs/positioning on the line.

Brady did have plenty of both rookie and veteran backups over the years. The other point is that Josh runs more than Tom and the chance we will need someone is much greater.

With the hire of Kromer as OL coach, how much Josh runs may change.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

With the hire of Kromer as OL coach, how much Josh runs may change.

Yeah maybe, hopefully it will be because Josh is seeing the field better and getting rid of the ball faster, but yes, our running game may be better with Kromer and less Josh.

I'd be willing to bet Josh's run stats will always be better than Tommy's at any similar point in their careers, because Josh can while Tommy cannot.

12 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah maybe, hopefully it will be because Josh is seeing the field better and getting rid of the ball faster, but yes, our running game may be better with Kromer and less Josh.

I'd be willing to bet Josh's run stats will always be better than Tommy's at any similar point in their careers, because Josh can while Tommy cannot.

Josh surpassed Brady's career numbers in rushing yards after his 2nd season and rushing TDs this year.  On almost 2/3 of the attempts.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, ColoradoBills said:

Smart move by Daboll.  Davis would make more on their roster holding a clipboard than on the Bills PS.

Webb helping Daniel Jones with Daboll's playbook would be worth the spot.

Hell yeah if I was in Davis's spot I would do the same thing. Huge jump in pay between active roster and PS

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yes I am going to compare the proper uses of Asset management when you have a 1/4B Franchise QB.  Without looking it up Name Chiefs Backup and Cap hit to that BU. 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Exactly how much better do you want to see Josh "see the field" or "get rid of the ball faster"

He was like......arguably the best player in the NFL last year

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Jesus don't get me started.  The powder blues with Bob McAdoo and Randy Smith brings back great memories.  Screw John Y Brown and the LA Clippers until eternity ends. 

Plus Ernie D in the backcourt with McAdoo.

But then there was this cat...

image.png.397681315ec717968a33c4121d17e547.png

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Josh surpassed Brady's career numbers in rushing yards after his 2nd season and rushing TDs this year.  On almost 2/3 of the attempts.

That's the lowest bar imaginable.    Brady finished with only 1124 more rushing yards in the NFL than I did.

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

OMG - I actually looked for that iconic picture from under the basket that showed the scoreboard and that time had run out before McAdoo touched him - I couldn't find in anywhere online (it's in my copy of "Buffalo Home of the Braves" book - which is signed by Jack Marin BTW :) )

God I loved the Braves

Oh man, I am still traumatized by the Braves leaving town.  I LOVED the Braves - McAdoo, Ernie D!, McMillan, Big E Elmore Smith, Randy Smith (from Buff State), Adrian Dantley, etc.  Really some great players from a team that lasted only 7 years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Adrian Dantley, Moses Malone, Gar Heard, we had playas.  Help me out though @Mr. WEO, I'm drawing a blank on the pic...

That, my friend is the one and only Marvin "Bad News" Barnes.  He was akin to Len Bias had he not OD'd, but just git high all then time.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's the lowest bar imaginable.    Brady finished with only 1124 more rushing yards in the NFL than I did.

I never said it was a high bar.  Just informing the poster, who might not have known, that Josh already surpassed Brady's rushing stats.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, oldmanfan said:

Bring back Barkely.  Or Fitz.

I could see Barkley back assuming Trubinsky not returning. I'd also like drafting a guy in Rounds 6 or 7 to develop and see if can build to trade down the road.

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Lost in all this 3rd string QB hoopla is the fact that the G men also plucked Jamie Gillan the Scotish punter guy. 

So if Haack is gone, who is next? Michael Palardy? College 80 yard guy? Some other person?

We could draft a kid to compete with Haack or to develop on the PS with eye to replace him if he struggles again.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Exactly how much better do you want to see Josh "see the field" or "get rid of the ball faster"

He was like......arguably the best player in the NFL last year

It seems to me that if he doesn't run the ball the offense can sputter. He needs that scramble or one of his runs to keep drives going.. So I want to see the number of his runs drop and see the offense not lose a step.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It seems to me that if he doesn't run the ball the offense can sputter. He needs that scramble or one of his runs to keep drives going.. So I want to see the number of his runs drop and see the offense not lose a step.

Then we need to find a true #1 RB. I like Motor but he's ideally a 3rd down/change of pace RB. Moss is not reliable.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I never said it was a high bar.  Just informing the poster, who might not have known, that Josh already surpassed Brady's rushing stats.

Good info, but actually I guess I didn't get the point I was trying to make clear. I was thinking on a year to year basis, so Brady in year 10 is going to be less than Josh in year 10, for any year that is looked at, just because Josh is a better athlete. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Then we need to find a true #1 RB. I like Motor but he's ideally a 3rd down/change of pace RB. Moss is not reliable.

Absolutely, especially since our oline is always going to be better pass blockers than run blockers so we need a better than average back with speed to attack off tackle. Seems pretty important to me.

9 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Absolutely, especially since our oline is always going to be better pass blockers than run blockers so we need a better than average back with speed to attack off tackle. Seems pretty important to me.

Kolar as Online coach may help the running game but you're right it does like we do better finding pass blockers.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, stevewin said:

That's a cool connection with Havlicek, but as an old Buffalo Braves fan I still hold a hatred for the Celtics deep in my heart.  I will say one time when I was a kid for some reason we were in the hotel the Celtics were staying at in Buffalo (maybe a brunch or something?) and all their players were in the lobby - and probably somewhere still in my Dad's house is the piece of paper from that day with autographs from Jo Jo White, Havlicek, Cowens etc - even Heinsohn. 

5ee3c0279363b.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Those are some of my all time favorite Celtics.  Yeah John H was from a small town called bellaire ( Joey gallegher the receiver was also from there ! ) and my dad ran crews for a local coal mining company called Hanna coal. Was eventually purchased by a very big oil company called consol in the early 70’s I think, and luckily I am still living off that stock my dad got when I was a kid and I’m 64 now!  My dad was a smart civil engineer for that coal company. I worked my way thru college and Med school in the summers for those mines. I figured out real quickly how hard my dad worked and that it was much  easier to study and get a white coat compared to the labor those tough guys did!  

So John was part of my dads crew in the summers. They surveyed the coal veins for strip mining and reclamation back in those days. It still bothers me having grown up among coal miners and Steel workers to hear that great source of energy blasted by politicians who would rather make us depend on foreign powers for our energy , esp when technology exists to clean the discharge. It killed my area of ohio and western Pa. , but that’s a story for a different time. 

Those guys you mentioned were all time greats. Jo jo white and Sam jones were a couple of my favs cuz I was a point guard and loved bank shots like Sam jones perfected.   I was in junior high then and never personally got to meet John.  Who knew he would become a Celtic great !?  My dad got me hooked on the Celtics tho. The Bills were my own choice tho as my dad was a jet fan because of Namath. Went with the Bills to just have a fun rivalry with my dad. First game I really still remember well was us losing to the chiefs for who was going to the first super  bowl !  Little did I know that undying love of the Bills would eventually subject me to wide right, music  city crap , and now 13 seconds!  Please Lord, give us just one Lombardi before it’s my time!  😊😀😉😀

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Lost in all this 3rd string QB hoopla is the fact that the G men also plucked Jamie Gillan the Scotish punter guy. 

So if Haack is gone, who is next? Michael Palardy? College 80 yard guy? Some other person?

Remind me not to draft the Giant's K in fantasy...

Seriously though, Jack Fox. 

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

D'Onta Foreman.  He's 6'1" 236#, runs in the mid-4.4s and is probably looking to get out from under Henry's shadow.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

D'Onta Foreman.  He's 6'1" 236#, runs in the mid-4.4s and is probably looking to get out from under Henry's shadow.

I think Foreman's performance will bring him a big contract.  Not sure the Bills need to tie up money in that position.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I liked him his draft year but he's done nothing in the NFL.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:14 AM, eball said:

And thus we now have the biggest question of the offseason…who is Josh going to race at the end of each practice?

Good question.  Josh was so funny about that:

"Davis Webb is faster.  I hate to admit it, but I guess I just did" 😄

44 minutes ago, stuvian said:

this is his 2nd tour of duty with NYG, no? 

Correct, the Giants drafted him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.