Trubisky -- where does he end up?

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

No one thinks Indy?

Asking for a friend.*

(* I like myself)

That's possible. I just don't know if they're done with Wentz yet.  If they cut him, though, they save $13 million on the cap although he'll still account for $15 million in dead money. That said, if they cut him now, they get massive savings in cap dollars in 2023 and 2024. https://overthecap.com/player/carson-wentz/4715/

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he's better than backup level -- he's more like a qb who falls between 17 and 27 in terms of his play to date. The Bears did win with him, and his numbers in 2018 and 2020 were pretty decent. The Bears were 25-13 in games he started between 2018 and 2020. You could do a lot worse.

Meh.  His problems always seemed to be above the neck.  He deserves a shot at proving that he improved in that regard though.  Or maybe there’s a system that’s a better fit for him.  I would say he has comfortably been in the 20s overall - and if that’s where your QB is, then you’re looking for some real improvement in that guy or you’re looking to find a better one.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm almost positive @BarleyNY would do a lot worse.  Call it intuition.

Yeah, but I’d be cheap. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love his fit in Pittsburgh. Tampa has an opening now as well and a few other obvious places.

Long shot possibility: I'll go with San Francisco. I don't think Shannahan is all that impressed with Lance (just may own opinion) and Lance did have some injury issues this season in the spot chances he had to play. They would need a solid back up plan. It would also give Trubisky a year to learn from that coaching tree which would help him grow. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Meh.  His problems always seemed to be above the neck.  He deserves a shot at proving that he improved in that regard though.  Or maybe there’s a system that’s a better fit for him.  I would say he has comfortably been in the 20s overall - and if that’s where your QB is, then you’re looking for some real improvement in that guy or you’re looking to find a better one.

The thing, though, is that this is a bad draft for QBs, Pitt drafts late, and their quarterbacks are terrible. Pitt may look for better, and they should, but meanwhile they need to win next season. Don't think Tomlin isn't aware of the fact that he's never had a losing season. If Mason Rudolph is his QB, he'll probably have one.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing, though, is that this is a bad draft for QBs, Pitt drafts late, and their quarterbacks are terrible. Pitt may look for better, and they should, but meanwhile they need to win next season. Don't think Tomlin isn't aware of the fact that he's never had a losing season. If Mason Rudolph is his QB, he'll probably have one.

That’s fair.  I don’t mean to imply that Trubisky shouldn’t get a real shot this season.  Some teams will be desperate and the draft is not good for QBs.  If I needed to find a QB I’d probably sign him (or a player like him) and also try to draft one if I saw some upside or value.  I could see him in Pittsburgh too.  There’s no question that he’s one of the top 32 QBs on the planet right now.  I just think he’s far enough down that list that he will get upgraded sooner than later. 

• Like (+1) 1

The local pittsburgh sports talk has trubisky on their radar, it makes sense if they can get him under the cap. What about carolina? Didn't he go to school there? They seem to have a need and if you need a qb to play next year it doesn't seem like one of the rookies will get it done.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Respectfully, I don't see it. Daboll is all in on Jones, who is a poor man's Allen. Daboll was hired to fix Jones, whom Giants management fully believes in. Not saying they are right, but the tools are definitely there. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is a good team that just happens to not have a credible quarterback. 

My thinking was more around the fact that he may not get an offer to start anywhere, but he would have a better chance of competing for a starting role with Daboll because of their mutual familiarity.  The obvious openings for me are Saints, Steelers, Panthers and competitions he could possibly win are Texans, Broncos, Colts, Bucs and maybe Dolphins.  Seems like there will be a lot of shuffling with QB's this season.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I strongly believe he'll be moving on, and I've thought about the best position for him to land. He is not a franchise QB like Allen, but he's legitimately decent, has won in this league, and has all of the tools. If I'm Pittsburgh, which has no credible QB, I'm targeting him hard. In my view, his best career trajectory comp is Tannehill. Tannehill is not elite, but he's good and can help get to 11 wins and maybe a SB if the stars align. Pittsburgh has most of the other pieces outside of QB. Pittsburgh would be legit playoff contender with him. They are not a playoff contender with their current stable of quarterbacks. 

I would short list the suitors based on (1) having an existing running game (2) Good OL (3) decent defense

Though not all of these teams meet all the above criteria, I am guessing: Steelers, Saints, Commanders, Panthers 

Sometimes guys get comfy as a backup. Of course if someone comes calling and offers him $6-10M on a 1 year deal he'll be gone. 

But......if he loses out on QB musical chairs again and there's nobody knocking, maybe they get him back on a team friendly 1 yr deal, just like last yr.

56 minutes ago, wppete said:

I say he joins Daboll in New York and battles with Daniel Jones for the starting job. 

I don't think the Giants WANT a competition for the starting job.   They want everyone on the same page trying to make Daniel Jones work.  Having a backup QB who is close to the same level would be a disaster for them.   They want to establish a new culture with everyone from owners to employees to row in the same direction.  It would be a terrible mistake for them and honestly for Trubisky as he wouldn't be given a fair shot at starter.

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I strongly believe he'll be moving on, and I've thought about the best position for him to land. He is not a franchise QB like Allen, but he's legitimately decent, has won in this league, and has all of the tools. If I'm Pittsburgh, which has no credible QB, I'm targeting him hard. In my view, his best career trajectory comp is Tannehill. Tannehill is not elite, but he's good and can help get to 11 wins and maybe a SB if the stars align. Pittsburgh has most of the other pieces outside of QB. Pittsburgh would be legit playoff contender with him. They are not a playoff contender with their current stable of quarterbacks. 

I don’t think he does.  

this year you have potential some bigger names out there

Rodgers of Packers 

Wilson of seahawks

cousins of Vikings 

Watson of Texans

teams will go for them over him.

there are others out there who would be equal to him on the potential market for second chances.

he doesn’t want to go to a team being a warm body till they develop a prospect ( see Tyrod Taylor)

it’s better for him to stay in Buffalo.

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I've heard this suggestion before, and I like it for him.  Pittsburgh has a good team, if they had a QB.

But what I really want to know is: if Trubisky departs in FA, do the Bills get a comp pick?

5 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I don’t think he does.  

this year you have potential some bigger names out there

Rodgers of Packers 

Wilson of seahawks

cousins of Vikings 

Watson of Texans

teams will go for them over him.

None of those guys are free agents.  All of those guys may be available for trade - or, they may not.  Their teams would take on massive dead cap to trade them, so they will want to be handsomely compensated with draft picks that would weaken the organization.

And of course for Watson, there are these little legal issues

I agree that Trubisky won't want to go to a team that is drafting a QB this year, but it's said to be a weak class, so he could go be a bridge guy, with a chance to earn the job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.