Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

We will see if they pick up his option in 2023. 

That’s fair.  I would expect that they do almost regardless of what happens this season, but not doing so sure tells you everything you need to know.

Obviously Daboll can’t say anything except what he has.  Of course he loves Daniel Jones, his upside and what he could do in an offense that plays to his strengths, etc.  Full confidence, set him up for success and see if he sinks or swims.  It’s the only smart move at this time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Between Jones and Darnold, I'm not sure which New York QB was screwed up worse by their team.  Darnold is going the same way as Josh Rosen, QBs who might have been successful if not completely mishandled.  Of course there are a lot of other QBs who didn't succeed who probably feel the same way about THEIR teams.  

OTOH there's Josh Allen, who could have collapsed in his first year or two without the nurturing of the coaching staff in Buffalo and Beane's ability to put good skill players around him.  Thankfully it worked out so well.  

• Disagree 1

What is he supposed to say?

”yeah, glad to be here and all, but MAN DOES OUR QB SUUUUUUUUUCK! On an unrelated note, I look forward to meeting my players and building a winning culture here *cough cough* except Danny Dimes *cough cough*”

He’s going to bat for his guy, take a year to take a look at what he can do in a new system, try to get him some protection, and go from there. He sinks? he gets replaced next year. He swims? He continues playing until Arch Manning declares and the Giants tank for a year.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This is much better then saying he sucks

It's amazing how much "sports talk" is predicated on some official comment made in public by a player, coach, GM, owner, whoever...as though what these people say publicly has anything to do with what they are actually thinking.

Did we all expect Daboll to say "To be honest, I think he's terrible.  I plan to quickly move on from him, and it's going to be tough sledding for a few years, but we'll get it done!"  ???

21 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Between Jones and Darnold, I'm not sure which New York QB was screwed up worse by their team.  Darnold is going the same way as Josh Rosen, QBs who might have been successful if not completely mishandled.  Of course there are a lot of other QBs who didn't succeed who probably feel the same way about THEIR teams.  

OTOH there's Josh Allen, who could have collapsed in his first year or two without the nurturing of the coaching staff in Buffalo and Beane's ability to put good skill players around him.  Thankfully it worked out so well.  

I'm in the you can't ruin a QB group.  So far, the only thing Jones & Darnold have been are coach killers, not the other way around.  Darnold has ruined 2 coaches as has Jones, if Rhule didn't have such a long term expensive contract Darnold might already have another notch on his belt.  Josh Rosen was never going to succeed.  He himself admits that he didn't work hard enough early in his career.  He mishandled himself, not the teams he was on who saw what they had in him quickly & bounced him.  If by some miracle Rosen turns things around it will be because he now realizes he needs to apply himself, not because a coach came around who fixed him.

Josh Allen on the other hand was the exact opposite of Rosen when he came into the NFL, working his butt off to get better.  He would have succeeded with any team because he would have done what he has been doing, working with his own QB coach every offseason, along with the team's coaching staff. 

Now it's 6 coaches between Jones & Darnold and you're blaming the teams that drafted them.  All 3 QBs you mentioned got their coach fired their rookie year.  Thatis not a coincidence-it's on them, the coach killing trio.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Is daboll still going to be calling plays? 

He said it depends.  My guess is if he gets Dorsey or someone else he knows & trusts, he'll let that OC call the plays.  If he settles for someone else, it will probably be based on how comfortable he is with the guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Watched most of the Daboll PC (when the feed wasn't breaking up...nice job Giants).  I like Daboll but I'm still not sure he's cut out for a HC job.  I'll give him credit, though...he stayed far, far away from any sort of predictions or timelines, and the NY media and fans will hate that.  Dabes was all "it's a process" and "we've gotta crawl before we walk" throughout the whole thing.  All of the NY hacks were like "when will you turn this around" and he was having none of it.

It's one thing to bring that mentality to Buffalo...the NYC media market is a whole other animal.  Daboll even got a question about whether Cinci going from 2 wins to 4 wins to Super Bowl puts any increased pressure on him to turn things around immediately.  I almost felt bad for the guy.

I watched the whole thing and had a much different impression. I liked a lot of what he had to say and I thought he handled all the questions well. 

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's amazing how much "sports talk" is predicated on some official comment made in public by a player, coach, GM, owner, whoever...as though what these people say publicly has anything to do with what they are actually thinking.

Did we all expect Daboll to say "To be honest, I think he's terrible.  I plan to quickly move on from him, and it's going to be tough sledding for a few years, but we'll get it done!"  ???

Kingsbury talked up Rosen & Saleh talked up Darnold when they were introduced.  Once they got in the building & reviewed the tapes & talked with people they sent these guys packing.  Daboll will keep Jones around but I'd be shocked if he didn't bring in some competition for the starting job before camp.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I watched the whole thing and had a much different impression. I liked a lot of what he had to say and I thought he handled all the questions well. 

Didn't mean for my post to sound like a criticism of Daboll at all...I agree he handled it well.  I'm just saying the NYC media will only accept those sort of responses for a short time.  The honeymoon is a lot shorter in that neck of the woods than it is in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm in the you can't ruin a QB group.  So far, the only thing Jones & Darnold have been are coach killers, not the other way around.  Darnold has ruined 2 coaches as has Jones, if Rhule didn't have such a long term expensive contract Darnold might already have another notch on his belt.  Josh Rosen was never going to succeed.  He himself admits that he didn't work hard enough early in his career.  He mishandled himself, not the teams he was on who saw what they had in him quickly & bounced him.  If by some miracle Rosen turns things around it will be because he now realizes he needs to apply himself, not because a coach came around who fixed him.

Josh Allen on the other hand was the exact opposite of Rosen when he came into the NFL, working his butt off to get better.  He would have succeeded with any team because he would have done what he has been doing, working with his own QB coach every offseason, along with the team's coaching staff. 

Now it's 6 coaches between Jones & Darnold and you're blaming the teams that drafted them.  All 3 QBs you mentioned got their coach fired their rookie year.  Thatis not a coincidence-it's on them, the coach killing trio.  

It cuts both ways- if an org fails a guy more than a year or two it gets hard for him to get the repetitions in practice to recover from a bad start. 

once you’ve picked up some bad habits it takes time and good reps to fix them and that’s one thing that young qbs don’t get a whole lot of once they are off track 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.