McKenzie Talks 13 seconds

cv05

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure about the question - outside of the benching, do you think he should have been playing more than he did and in place of whom? He played quite a bit for his depth spot. 

I'd like to see the numbers on his snap counts and usage in 2020 vs 2021. It felt like his presence and presnap motion was a huge part of our offense in 2020, and then we completely got away from it for most of 2021. And when we did bring it/him back into the fold in 2021, our offense started clicking again.

I'd have played him more over Beasley, and Davis more over Sanders

• Like (+1) 3

Most interesting part of the chat was definitely on the subject of communication. He essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing: "McDermott is details, details, details. All offseason. Spring and summer. All the time. Obsessive. We spend time going over these things. Communication is always stressed. And then, 13 seconds left, it all breaks down. And nobody knows what we are doing. Nobody knows why this happened." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I do, and have the whole season, for multiple reasons. His cavalier attitude towards vaccination, the fines for breaking protocol, and telling everyone on twitter that he was already vaxxed and then tweeting the next week that he just got his first shot. His jokester attitude in a lot of clips comes off as maybe he's joking around too much instead of taking his work seriously. His bad attitude when he got benched and cried about it on twitter.

I dont think he's a scumbag, or criminal, or a bad person. But I do feel he has work ethic issues, and some "football character" concerns. I wasnt one bit surprised to hear he ended up in McDermott's dog house at some point this season.

I know he's your boy (to a weird degree, btw), but he isnt as beyond reproach as you often make him out to be.

Yeah me too - not sure about "character concerns" but I wasn't crazy about his public griping about his benching, I mean dude you fell down over your own feet and lost the ball in a critical game situation.  Get off of Twitter.  Maybe spend as much time on ball security as you spend on your BBQ game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, beebe said:

Most interesting part of the chat was definitely on the subject of communication. He essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing: "McDermott is details, details, details. All offseason. Spring and summer. All the time. Obsessive. We spend time going over these things. Communication is always stressed. And then, 13 seconds left, it all breaks down. And nobody knows what we are doing. Nobody knows why this happened." 

Agreed... something went wrong at the end. That wasn't the plan. 

If McKittrick is gone, I for one will miss him.  One of the most exciting players on the roster, he's woefully underutilized in this offense.  I don't care that he has issues with McChoke, I have issues with McChoke.  He kept Gabe on the bench all year, didn't play Bates, benched McKittrick for 3 games because of 1 fumble.  People here still lament us cutting Andre Roberts, and HE FUMBLED 4 TIMES in his last year here.  He wasn't benched, he didn't get the shade being thrown McKittrick's way.  All this kid has done since he got here is make plays.  He gets first downs on nearly 50% of his touches.  We used to run the jet sweep 4 and 5 times a game, now we run it once or twice a game.  

Before I get hit with the "but the 3rd and 2 against the Chiefs", let's break that play down.  McKittrick is in motion to the left at full speed, but stops, turns around, and immediately takes the handoff on a sweep to the right.  Dabollocks over-thought this one.  He completely killed McKittrick's momentum by having him change direction, and clearly the Chiefs were not fooled.  When the blocks failed on the outside, they tackled him for no gain, and McChoke punted.  Just run the jet sweep in one direction and let McKittrick get up to full speed.

If he does end up leaving, I hope he goes to a team that will fully utilize his talents, instead of benching him multiple games for a fumble (something that didn't happen with Roberts).  He proved his worth against the Fish last year, and the Cheats this year.  I just don't understand the shade thrown at this guy by this board.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I like McKenzie, and he produced when we needed him too, so I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to explore options where he feels more utilized and/or paid more…

That being said, not every team is defending us like NE did with a slow slot corner in man coverage.  

Beasley played well against the Chiefs.  8 targets, 6 catches, 60 yards.  

If I had to guess, the Bills want to get faster at actual WR, not just faster with a guy “they” view as more of a chess piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd like to see the numbers on his snap counts and usage in 2020 vs 2021. It felt like his presence and presnap motion was a huge part of our offense in 2020, and then we completely got away from it for most of 2021. And when we did bring it/him back into the fold in 2021, our offense started clicking again.

I'd have played him more over Beasley, and Davis more over Sanders

I looked it up for you

Offense Snaps

2020 - 270 - 25%

2021 - 257 - 24%

Special Teams

2020 - 12 - 3%

2021 - 91 - 23%

Seems his Offensive snap counts were about the same. Was willing to step it up on ST and got dinged for it both by the coaches and a lot of fans.

His body language was not so good after the KC loss.

I love McKenie as a player, hope he stays. Just keep him away from special teams!

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I like McKenzie, and he produced when we needed him too, so I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to explore options where he feels more utilized and/or paid more…

That being said, not every team is defending us like NE did with a slow slot corner in man coverage.  

Beasley played well against the Chiefs.  8 targets, 6 catches, 60 yards.  

If I had to guess, the Bills want to get faster at actual WR, not just faster with a guy “they” view as more of a chess piece. 

I think a lot has to do with if and where Daboll goes, maybe Dorsey. May be tied to what happens with Bease.

12 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

I looked it up for you

Offense Snaps

2020 - 270 - 25%

2021 - 257 - 24%

Special Teams

2020 - 12 - 3%

2021 - 91 - 23%

Seems his Offensive snap counts were about the same. Was willing to step it up on ST and got dinged for it both by the coaches and a lot of fans.

His body language was not so good after the KC loss.

I love McKenie as a player, hope he stays. Just keep him away from special teams!

I expected the increase in ST since we replaced Andre Roberts with him.

Interesting that snap counts were close. Even with those raw numbers, I'd be interested in how he was used. I know a number of us were wondering where all the Jet Sweep presnap motions were for the first half of the year.

I'd be fine with bringing him back. I've said elsewhere that my starting WRs for 2022 would be Diggs, Davis, Dirty. But I also understand how/why he got himself out of McD's good graces, and may have to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

One thing that I found interesting is that his best friend, Isaiah Hodgins, signed a reserve/futures contract with the bills. I thought he might look to see what else is out there since he never sees the field after 2 years. 

He's got a very good chance being our slot WR next year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ive listened to these pretty much every week and referenced in the thread where I don’t think he’s returning - he made a lot of comments all year about things he doesn’t like. Personally, I think it’s time he look at some other options if he has them. 

What are the things he doesn't like?

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't know what his market value would be, but I like Pringle from KC who is a FA. He seems like an outside WR with speed who can take on the return duties and play the slot when Beasley needs a break or is injured.

Not sure if he is a 100% slot receiver or not, but he seems like he could step into McKenzies role just fine. 

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills say they want to get faster… they said the same thing last off-season and did nothing. Dude sucks as a returner, but I’d absolutely bring him back over Beasley as he is valuable with the speed and quickness…. Something the WRs have none of on this roster(outside of Diggs). 

McKenzie is too inconsistent to rely upon in any capacity. That's why he is a gadget guy.

If we want to move on from Beasley I hope McKenzie is not the only plan to replace him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The past 2 years at least, the Bills either didn’t tender him as an RFA or let him go find a deal as a UFA and he’s never found anything. I think Bill fans overvalue him a bit because he’s a fun personality. I think he’s a good depth guy and if he wants to come back again on a small deal that’s fine but I’m not handing decent money to him because he’s not consistent enough at the return game. Would rather draft someone to replace him cheap or sign someone in FA who can return more consistently. 

He offers more to the team than just his return skills. He is a capable WR when others go down. He proved that this year. He is very good when running the ball on the misdirection play. Definitely keeps the defense honest. His speed is greatly needed on the team. He is a decent piece to the Bills offense. It would take a very very good draft choice to replace him. Also, would a similar pick up be just as expensive as keeping him?

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I know it's a common knee-jerk reaction here always, but there does happen to be a team in our division that needs to add some speed at the WR spot and whom McKenzie just happened to play his best against this season...

If he clashed with McD because of his work ethic, wait until he gets a load of Belichick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.