What does Allen work on this summer?

Meatloaf63

10 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Tired of talking about yesterdays debacle… Every summer the past few years Allen has worked with Palmer on some aspect of his game. Long passes short passes body and foot placement. After watching what Josh has become, what does he still need to work on this off season? Doesn’t seem there is much left to do, he hit long some passes but I guess there is still a little work there, some times he could go to the check down a little quicker, but really what is left to improve on?

Not much, but Palmer seems to improve Josh's mental approach to mechanics and game strategies. He's like a positive thinking psychological guide. What a great relationship for the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2

Tired of talking about yesterdays debacle… Every summer the past few years Allen has worked with Palmer on some aspect of his game. Long passes short passes body and foot placement. After watching what Josh has become, what does he still need to work on this off season? Doesn’t seem there is much left to do, he hit long some passes but I guess there is still a little work there, some times he could go to the check down a little quicker, but really what is left to improve on?

His tan

His tan, with his sweetheart. Take a long vacation. Recharge.

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

From what we saw yesterday he should probably learn how to play LB or DE. At least we would know our defense would play with some heart.

If he can cover  a TE (kelce specially), he became the player in the galaxy.

Recruiting.

Bills are going to lose some good players and staff this off-season, no doubt. Josh is the team's biggest draw for free agents, coordinators, etc. I hope he is able to participate in that process. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I think his mechanics did break down a bit at times especially under pressure and when he was trying to sling it hard against the wind, so I think he works on solidifying his mechanics under pressure and against wind somehow.  I think they'll come up with something.

What else?  Perfecting his deep throws, perfecting his throws to the left, perfecting his throws to the flat where he was a bit off target and low at times.  Here's his chart from Nextgenstats, but I don't think it tells the whole story.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/josh-allen/ALL529264/2021/all/qb-grid

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

His tan, with his sweetheart. Take a long vacation. Recharge.

I'm sure he will be working on his golf game and going to the beach, maybe take a vacation first of all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, stevestojan said:

He’s the best QB we’ve ever had. Period. 

My biggest concern would be him thinking he has to work on anything. 

I feel the exact opposite. My concern is that he ever thinks he doesn’t have something to work on. I think that’s what separates the good from the great in all sports; the drive to constantly improve themselves. Allen has that in spades. 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think his mechanics did break down a bit at times especially under pressure and when he was trying to sling it hard against the wind, so I think he works on solidifying his mechanics under pressure and against wind somehow.  I think they'll come up with something.

What else?  Perfecting his deep throws, perfecting his throws to the left, perfecting his throws to the flat where he was a bit off target and low at times.  Here's his chart from Nextgenstats, but I don't think it tells the whole story.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/josh-allen/ALL529264/2021/all/qb-grid

I'm sure he will be working on his golf game and going to the beach, maybe take a vacation first of all.

Thanks Hapless, this is a great response 👍

May be Josh will be given the keys to call his own plays.  May be he has to learn how to do that with a rookie OC. 

One thing I missed on Sunday was the. Allen to Knox connection. We saw it so many times in the regular season and the beating of the Patriots. But for some reason Josh never went Knox's way.  May be they score more in the 3rd quarter and put the game out of KC's reach.

For me, it is getting back the mindset to win the close games.  We lost too many of them this season and it bit us in the most important game of the season (Nothing to do with Josh on that though).   Josh had the chance to win against the Jaguars, Patriots (1st game) and Tampa Bay and he missed out to close those games.  He has to learn how to improve on that aspect.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Footwork.  He improved that in 2020 but it took a step backwards this year.    He improved other things this year but his footwork wasn't one of them. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  See my response.  His footwork was not good this year.   He improved having a solid base when throwing but quite often he did so without moving his feet so he was pointed in the wrong direction when throwing.  This led to high and off target throws.  Or layups as Warner called them.  

Combine the footwork of 2020 and the base of 2021 and he will be unstoppable. 

• Like (+1) 1

WyoBills hit it and I was thinking the exact same thing as I read the OP. He needs to work on pre-snap reads and dissecting the defense. Josh can make a lot happen with his feet and athletic ability and his arm is a lethal weapon. Now is the time to master the mental part of the game. Yes relax, but guys like Brady got better with age. Brady's release time and throwing motion actually improved as he hit 40. That's insane. If Josh takes these same measures he can be the GOAT!

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.