What does Allen work on this summer?

Meatloaf63

The golf analogy is a good one. He should continue to fine tune his throwing to keep it sharp.

And continue learning how to read and manipulate defenses. Brady/Manning are good role models here.

As much as Josh's angry runs are amazing and inspiring to watch. As he heads in to year 5 he has to start saving the high risk contact for high leverage situations. One bad hit to that shoulder, and it's over.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, KHAN said:

The golf analogy is a good one. He should continue to fine tune his throwing to keep it sharp.

And continue learning how to read and manipulate defenses. Brady/Manning are good role models here.

As much as Josh's angry runs are amazing and inspiring to watch. As he heads in to year 5 he has to start saving the high risk contact for high leverage situations. One bad hit to that shoulder, and it's over.

Agree with Josh running. Yes he is a weapon running the ball but I want him to be the QB for the next 12-15 years. Playoffs or big games sure but overall I hope he doesn't run that much. Think of Elway. Early in his career John could run and scramble but as he got older he was a pocket passer and let Davis do all the running. If Singletary isn't the answer then the Bills need to find a "Terrell Davis" to help Allen out.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

Josh needs to hone his tackling skills sk he can step in and play MLB when the defense needs to stop another team with 13 second left in a game.  Also his pass defense skills in the event the last play is going to be a Hail Mary for the other team. Finally his punting skills so wE don’t continue to waste a roster spot on a punter. 

Now that is a good point it worked for Danny White.  I wonder do you risk him getting hurt becoming the punter.

I'm not sure what he'll work on but I know he will be working because he's never satisfied and is his biggest critic. 

One thing I'd like to personally see him do is eliminate the few plays a year he doesn't get rid of the ball on time and gets dragged down 15 yards deep, sometimes resulting in a fumble or interception. 

https://bleav.com/shows/draft-dudes/episodes/jordan-palmer-joins-the-show-to-talk-qbs/

Jordan Palmer talked a lot about his work with Allen in this interview last week.

Josh has already said that he is heading back into the lab with Palmer this off season. After working last off season on being ready for the last 4 minutes of a playoff game, my guess is that it might be about building more consistency week to week.

The Bills could have, and maybe should have, been the #1 seed in the AFC this year. Making sure games like the Jacksonville and Indy games don't happen might be what they look to shore up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KHAN said:

If I were Josh, I'd go spend two weeks with Payton Manning. I'd trade an hour a day working with his son on throwing mechanics for an hour a day breaking down film with Payton. 

First let me preface this by saying that Josh is absolutely amazing and constantly puts the team on his back.  I have a few things he could work on such as:  

-Ball Security

-Situational awareness.  Specifically when in field goal range.  He is improving but still will take a huge sack here or there that knocks us out.

-Taking what the defense gives him.  Check downs.  Another area he has improved, but would like to see more.  

The one thing I MOST want to see him improve on is winning from the pocket.  Now he does a damn good job here too but he still runs too much for my liking.  Losing him for the season will feel almost as bad as Sunday.  

The biggest difference I see between Mahomes game and Joshs game is Mahomes unmatched arm talent (not only strength).  When Mahomes scampers, there often isn't a soul around or he is able to scurry out of bounds because defenses need to respect the back end so much.  Josh on the other hand is often barreling through defenders and even hurting some haha! As entertaining as it is, I want him healthy.

I do believe QBs get better with age, specifically in regard to reading coverages etc..  He improves year after year and I expect him to stay on this trajectory.  This makes me wonder as Daboll is likely to leave, if Josh will be given greater responsibility in the offense such audibling and even calling his own plays.  

On 1/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, MJS said:

I guess he should work on defense. He could play both sides and truly will this team to victory.

With his size he could probably rush the passer or play linebacker...

My wife made a joke during the game about why Josh wasnt out there on defense when we kept missing nearly every tackle.  I think she was serious though

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:19 PM, stevestojan said:

He’s the best QB we’ve ever had. Period. 

My biggest concern would be him thinking he has to work on anything. 

What an incredibly arrogant opinion.  Developing that mindset is when you start to regress.  His biggest strength has been his drive to improve his game.  When you have Allen's gifts, you don't settle for being an "elite"/top 5 QB at the current time, you push to be the undisputed #1, the best the LEAGUE has ever had not just the best the team has had.

Love the way his long ball accuracy has shown up. I knew it would. His weaponry is now complete. And he will hone those skills. He’s not done getting better. He’s going to be the consensus best player in the game. Bills need to find him a couple more skill position players, draft or FA.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Motorin' said:

If I were Josh, I'd go spend two weeks with Payton Manning. I'd trade an hour a day working with his son on throwing mechanics for an hour a day breaking down film with Payton. 

That's actually not the worst of ideas.  Peyton is the master of details.  Go through all his film from the season and find all his tells.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, Greg S said:

Agree with Josh running. Yes he is a weapon running the ball but I want him to be the QB for the next 12-15 years. Playoffs or big games sure but overall I hope he doesn't run that much. Think of Elway. Early in his career John could run and scramble but as he got older he was a pocket passer and let Davis do all the running. If Singletary isn't the answer then the Bills need to find a "Terrell Davis" to help Allen out.

The runs to the sidelines or the wide open scrambles aren't so bad, he might need to slide more in non playoff scenarios. He did a decent job protecting himself this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.