What does Allen work on this summer?

Meatloaf63

On 1/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Screen plays.  Still one of the worst screen teams in execution  in my opinion. 

Since timing is key, that would be a skill requiring the team to practice.

He could work on the touch/accuracy of his short passes and passes to the flat, which is an area he can still improve.

• Like (+1) 1

Fighting the urge to never trust his current HC to actually use good game management. It likely cost him explosive national attention on par with PM, Rogers, and Brady. And that probably leads to major endorsement opportunities. 
Keep working with JP and get some sun and rest. 

@Meatloaf63

I think the biggest thing Allen needs to work on is audibles and calling his own plays. Not only just getting our receivers in the right spot, but changing the blocking schemes on the OL as well. If we truly want him to enter up into that upper echelon of QBs like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, he needs to become more like a coach on the field. All the truly great ones can change plays at a moments notice, so that means that #1 McD will not need to burn a timeout if he sees something he doesn’t like and #2 This makes defenses vulnerable because they may not have the personnel on the field to defend the play that Allen decides to audible. #3 Allen can keep drives going via no huddle while forcing defenses to burn their timeout!

Secondly, I think Allen needs to continue on working with Jordan Palmer. He looked great this year, but he needs to continue to work on his mechanics until it’s simply muscle memory and ingrained in him at that point. The main thing he needs to work on  is his touch. He looked great last year, but he still needs to learn to finesse the ball a little bit more. He has a hell of an arm, but he needs to learn to take some off of the ball, especially on screens, wheel routes and that sort of thing. All the truly GREAT QBs I can think of were truly great touch passers Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Montana, Kelly, Marino, etc.   Sometimes it’s unavoidable, I’ve never seen a QB with so much inertia on the ball, but it means nothing if your target has no time to react or has trouble trapping the ball. Improving upon the deep ball is a must!

Ultimately I would like to see Allen stick his nose deep into the playbook this offseason. We don’t want a QB on the field, we want a COACH on the field. Allen needs to get used to calling his own plays and being in full command of the offense and being “the guy”. Once Allen has this figured this out and I believe he will, only then will we have the continued success that we desire and at that point, any coaching casualties we suffer in the future thereof will matter not.

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

@Meatloaf63

I think the biggest thing Allen needs to work on is audibles and calling his own plays. Not only just getting our receivers in the right spot, but changing the blocking schemes on the OL as well. If we truly want him to enter up into that upper echelon of QBs like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, he needs to become more like a coach on the field. All the truly great ones can change plays at a moments notice, so that means that #1 McD will not need to burn a timeout if he sees something he doesn’t like and #2 This makes defenses vulnerable because they may not have the personnel on the field to defend the play that Allen decides to audible. #3 Allen can keep drives going via no huddle while forcing defenses to burn their timeout!

Secondly, I think Allen needs to continue on working with Jordan Palmer. He looked great this year, but he needs to continue to work on his mechanics until it’s simply muscle memory and ingrained in him at that point. The main thing he needs to work on  is his touch. He looked great last year, but he still needs to learn to finesse the ball a little bit more. He has a hell of an arm, but he needs to learn to take some off of the ball, especially on screens, wheel routes and that sort of thing. All the truly GREAT QBs I can think of were truly great touch passers Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Montana, Kelly, Marino, etc.   Sometimes it’s unavoidable, I’ve never seen a QB with so much inertia on the ball, but it means nothing if your target has no time to react or has trouble trapping the ball. Improving upon the deep ball is a must!

Ultimately I would like to see Allen stick his nose deep into the playbook this offseason. We don’t want a QB on the field, we want a COACH on the field. Allen needs to get used to calling his own plays and being in full command of the offense and being “the guy”. Once Allen has this figured this out and I believe he will, only then will we have the continued success that we desire and at that point, any coaching casualties we suffer in the future thereof will matter not.

Wow, great response, thanks for taking the time👍

• Like (+1) 1

His short passing has gotten much better which considering he's usually ready to rifle it, a shorter touch pass is impressive in its way. 

If I had to nitpick on items to work on:

1) The arcing deep pass a la Jim Kelly. Jim threw a rainbow which had its advantages.  Allen looks less confident floating those deeps passes. Still tends to overthrow.

2) Throwing in rhythm with fewer plays having to be extended ad libs and unplanned roll-outs. These are gold to watch, but I see plays take a while to develop. Maybe due to wanting the deep man too much or mostly reading far to near? Would love to see 3 step drops and quick slants with some RAC (pending the receiver to do it.)

3) Screen plays. Certainly far from being something Allen can fix himself, but we struggle here and it's a part of handling an aggressive D line. Bills haven't consistently run effective screens since.......?

Josh needs to have secret meetings with the Pegulas.  They have to come to an understanding that if McDermott continues to flub situational football and game management next season, the Pegulas will fire him.

Josh needs to take control of his career, for the good of his career and for the city of  Buffalo.  If he wants to win Super Bowls and bring home trophies to Buffalo, he needs to surround himself with elite talent at important positions like head coach, GM, WR2, CB2, DE.

Now that Josh has reached superstar QB level, he has control over these things and should work with the Pegulas to win Super Bowls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.