Top Five Places for People Who Don't Value their Time?

TheCockSportif

I think that this curmudgeon gene kicked in after I received my first AARP card this past fall.  Part of this manifests itself in how frustrated I get when wasting my time at various local establishments -- when I'd rather be doing something else, something more productive, and just a general understanding that I will never get those minutes/hours/days of my life back.

Without further ado, and in no specific order...

1. Car dealerships / service departments
  2. Cable company "customer service" offices (either by phone, or worse, in person)
  3. Check out line at supermarket (self check out is a lot faster, but sometimes you just have enough in your cart where it's impractical for self check out)
  4. Banking / Bank of America customer service
  5. Asking for help, even a tiny bit, at a Home Depot or Lowe's

What are yours?

2 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

DMV 

So true.  How could I forget the DMV?!  Luckily, ours has an electronic portal for most renewals, but yeah, when you need to go there for a license renewal or title transfer or whatever, it's absolutely ***** brutal.

24 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Doctor’s office. They never take you in at the appointment time, and you sit for up to an hour in the waiting room. But God forbid you show up late, and they’ll say you need to reschedule.

Correct, and great call!

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

TBD PPP

I checked out PPP here... once.

4 minutes ago, LeviF said:

What's a "cable company?" Is that how you'd get wire and stuff back in the day?

Indeed, that's where you'd wear your top hat and monocle to send a wire to friends about the upcoming hootenanny.

Spectrum, tho?  The *worst*.  We basically "cut the cord" over Thanksgiving, and it took 90 minutes to return our cable box and remote.  Insanity!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Indeed, that's where you'd wear your top hat and monocle to send a wire to friends about the upcoming hootenanny.

Spectrum, tho?  The *worst*.  We basically "cut the cord" over Thanksgiving, and it took 90 minutes to return our cable box and remote.  Insanity!

Yeah after my first spectrum contract (internet only) it took a solid hour to return the modem so I just bought my own the next time.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

DMV 

Illinois does electronic renewal, but after a few renewals they require a vision test. This year, my wife and I both had to renew, but she was eligible for online while I had to go in person for my eye test. After an hour in line, they said, "We're not doing eye tests because of Covid." Grrr.

We also brought all our paperwork to get Real IDs, but because we chose one of the "express" service centers, they don't do Real IDs. Would have been nice if they'd mentioned that along with the letter informing me that I had to renew in person. Double Grrr.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Red Lights when no one else is coming the other way

Great call!  Sensor versus timer is a mind boggling situation in the 21st century.  It's 1am, I live in Maine, and nobody is around.  Why am I waiting at a red light?!

47 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Yeah after my first spectrum contract (internet only) it took a solid hour to return the modem so I just bought my own the next time.

Now that we got rid of phone as part of "cutting the cord", I think that I can get a suitable replacement modem at reasonable cost.  It was tough to get the ones, cheaply, with telephony before.

6 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Doctor’s office. They never take you in at the appointment time, and you sit for up to an hour in the waiting room. But God forbid you show up late, and they’ll say you need to reschedule.

One doctor's office has a policy if you are late that you need to pay a $50 fee if you are late or cancel within certain period even if it was unavoidable.

The doctor was late once and I was sitting in office for over an hour before seen.

When I paid my bill I paid less stating doctor was late and deducting $50 per policy.

I had them call a couple of times and I stated I wrote on bottom of acceptance form doctor's office would be charged $50 whenever doctor was late; receptionist accepted form but I guess she did not read but just filed form.  

I was asked about $50 at next appointment and paid it but repeated practice on next bill.

Next appointment I was asked to pay it but they also wanted me to sign a new form which I refused.

I stated I would not agree so I was told I was not going to see doctor and I said I was planning on changing doctor anyways so fine.

I told office they were welcome to send it to collections but since they would have to provide paper to collector and it had my caveat on it would be hard to collect on but please do so I can dispute it and post a copy of the dispute on every doctor's review I could find.

I later got a call that the $50 was waived and they would not impose fee on me (I had never been late) but I told them I am not returning.

They never filed with collection.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Except when you're traveling, and it takes 1/2 an hour to charge up while on route to your destination. 

Understood, between the wife and me we will have two cars. One likely to be gas and one plug in electric. I am probably 4-5 years out before buying my next car. The wife would buy one now but with the chip situation and pricing she’s agreed to wait. Battery technology is improving so maybe by the time I buy your point will be less of an issue.

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

One doctor's office has a policy if you are late that you need to pay a $50 fee if you are late or cancel within certain period even if it was unavoidable.

The doctor was late once and I was sitting in office for over an hour before seen.

When I paid my bill I paid less stating doctor was late and deducting $50 per policy.

I had them call a couple of times and I stated I wrote on bottom of acceptance form doctor's office would be charged $50 whenever doctor was late; receptionist accepted form but I guess she did not read but just filed form.  

I was asked about $50 at next appointment and paid it but repeated practice on next bill.

Next appointment I was asked to pay it but they also wanted me to sign a new form which I refused.

I stated I would not agree so I was told I was not going to see doctor and I said I was planning on changing doctor anyways so fine.

I told office they were welcome to send it to collections but since they would have to provide paper to collector and it had my caveat on it would be hard to collect on but please do so I can dispute it and post a copy of the dispute on every doctor's review I could find.

I later got a call that the $50 was waived and they would not impose fee on me (I had never been late) but I told them I am not returning.

They never filed with collection.

Nobody values their spite more than you.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BTB said:

Timeshare sales presentation.  

How was that dinner though?

My house. She takes so damn long to get ready for anything I might as well go and take a nap. She also hates when people leave at the designated time when there were Hours to get ready for a dateline and she has to drive herself... lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.