RIP John Madden

Purplebulldog

42 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Weird timing with the documentary on Christmas Day.

RIP

Yeah, i just made my 16 yr old son watch the documentary with me over the weekend, so he knows who the real Madden is (before the video game stuff). 

I commented how it was nice they did the documentary while he was still alive.... and now he's not.  RIP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember the headlines in 2005 when he signed a $150M deal for the rights to the EA video stuff.  I thought, man I'll bet old John never imagined he'd be a gazillionaire.   He always seemed like he was more cut out to be the cool old dude next door drinking a beer in his robe watering the lawn telling stories about the war.

I remember the headlines in 2005 when he signed a $150M deal for the rights to the EA video stuff.  I thought, man I'll bet old John never imagined he'd be a gazillionaire.   He always seemed like he was more cut out to be the cool old dude next door drinking a beer in his robe watering the lawn telling stories about the war.

Damn...a true legend on and off the field...still remember the Holy Roller call 

"Madden's on the field. He wants to know if it's real. They said yes, get your big butt outta here!"

https://mobile.twitter.com/nflthrowback/status/1048705628200259584?lang=en

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Oh man.   Him and Pat Summerall calling games on FOX is one of my fondest childhood sports memories

Summerall and Madden were an amazing pair.  I remember the last game they called together.  The Super Bowl between the Rams and Pats in January 2002.  Great game.  And a fitting ending to the legendary duo.  

John Madden was iconic to the nth degree.  Makes me sad that all the younger generation knows about w John Madden is a video game.  And they won't know Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue either.  They get snowflake Roger.  Makes me want to puke.  And makes me glad I grew up in the 70's and 80's.  Where men were men.  Women were women.  And football was violent!!

Lets all drink a Miller Lite and toast John Madden blasting thru the sign in one of their first commercials.   He was just awesome..  God Bless him and his family!! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.