Trouble brewing in Jacksonville

Dablitzkrieg

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He benched robinson for a fumble and lawrence apparently confronted him mid-game about it: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/11/report-urban-meyer-had-heated-argument-with-marvin-jones-called-his-assistant-coaches-losers/

I of course thought of McDermott, who seems to think fumbles should never, ever happen (news flash: they do) and if they do the back has to go to the doghouse. I know a lot of coaches do this, but it’s pretty reactionary assuming the player isn’t a problem fumbler.

Yeah to be fair, McDermott is not the only one. Bill Belichick who is literally worshipped by the media, does the same thing.  I never understood benching because obviously players don’t mean to fumble.  It happens unfortunately, usually at the worst time.   As long as it’s not a recurring issue where you flat out can’t trust a player.  

If the goal is to send a message, I think trusting a player after a costly fumble is a better idea to instill confidence as opposed to fear of fumbling against.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He benched robinson for a fumble and lawrence apparently confronted him mid-game about it: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/11/report-urban-meyer-had-heated-argument-with-marvin-jones-called-his-assistant-coaches-losers/

I of course thought of McDermott, who seems to think fumbles should never, ever happen (news flash: they do) and if they do the back has to go to the doghouse. I know a lot of coaches do this, but it’s pretty reactionary assuming the player isn’t a problem fumbler.

Its a stupid HS coach move. Will McD bench Allen next time he fumbles? No. Its fake accountability and one of the reasons McD will never be great. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Trouble was brewing the second the hired him.  Were there actually non jags fans that thought he even had a chance to succeed?

poor Trevor Lawrence.   

There were fans on this message board defending him. I remember a few getting pissy when I made fun of the hiring here.

32 minutes ago, Process said:

The more opportunities for Daboll the better

Honestly, Jacksonville would be a good spot for him. A young QB to develop and some really good young pieces on that offense.

Normally I would say putting up only 6 points on them might turn them off...but it is the Jags and common sense isn't their strong suit.

16 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

I remember when Dallas fired a Hall of fame coach (Tom Landry) and brought in a college coach (Jimmy Johnson) who had a worse record than U Meyer in his first year. Worked out pretty well afterwards until JJ's ego clashed with the owner's ego.

I remember the Eagles bringing in. Chip Kelly. I remember the Dolphins bringing in Saben. I remember the Redskins bringing in Steve Spurrier. Give it another year and add Matt Rhule to the list.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills played a spread offense with no run threat - only 9 attempts by the RBs. 

Guess what kind of offense Meyer knows how to stop.

Oh, and 2 picks and a fumble didn't help

That was the one game where i felt the offensive staff mailed it in. My hunch is that they didn’t want to give away any plays they really liked to upcoming opponents and assumed that they’d overwhelm a terrible Jax team on talent differential alone. They bizarrely kept the same approach all game even though it wasn’t working and the game was within a fg throughout.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

their defense played like it was their Super Bowl.   Couple that with a couple awful decisions by our coaching staff, and well…

I felt that they thought they could treat it as a “mask tendencies” game because the plan was a very generic josh allen-spread-pass scheme and they didn’t seem to alter it all throughout the game. I got the sense watching that game that the bills always felt that they were going to pull it out using their base plays.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

Trouble in Jax just makes me wonder how this could help the Bills.

Per NFL next gen stats Jags Andrew Norwell.......a pending UFA......... has the highest run block win rate of any left guard in the NFL this season.........and a good pass block win rate.

The Jags have a ton of cap room but maybe the former Carolina Panther decides it's time to get out of Jax.

If they could add one player in UFA this offseason,  let it be a quality interior OL.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.