Leslie Frazier in the mix for Bears HC?

JohnNord

Interesting tiddbitt from ESPN insider (Dan Graziano) which speculated that Leslie Frazier might be a candidate for Bears HC after Matt Nagy gets fired this season.  

He would not be an exciting hire but I always thought he was a great leader and everyone seems to love him.  Chicago would make a lot of sense considering his connection to the 85 Bears.  Of course, this could also be his agency trying to drum up interest

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/leslie-frazier-reportedly-connected-to-bears-head-coaching-job/?amp

12 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Doubtful.  The bears are all about developing Fields, and Frazier isn’t the man for that. 

Read the article:

AND SPEAKING OF THAT JOB, THERE’S A FAIR BIT OF SMOKE CONNECTING BILLS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR LESLIE FRAZIER TO CHICAGO. THE QUESTION THEN WOULD BE WHO HE WOULD BRING AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TO OVERSEE THE DEVELOPMENT OF FIELDS. CURRENT BILLS QUARTERBACKS COACH KEN DORSEY COULD BE A CANDIDATE, THOUGH HE IS ALSO A CANDIDATE TO GET THE BILLS’ OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB IF THE CURRENT HOLDER OF THAT JOB, BRIAN DABOLL, GETS A HEAD-COACHING JOB ELSEWHERE.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Read the article:

AND SPEAKING OF THAT JOB, THERE’S A FAIR BIT OF SMOKE CONNECTING BILLS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR LESLIE FRAZIER TO CHICAGO. THE QUESTION THEN WOULD BE WHO HE WOULD BRING AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TO OVERSEE THE DEVELOPMENT OF FIELDS. CURRENT BILLS QUARTERBACKS COACH KEN DORSEY COULD BE A CANDIDATE, THOUGH HE IS ALSO A CANDIDATE TO GET THE BILLS’ OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB IF THE CURRENT HOLDER OF THAT JOB, BRIAN DABOLL, GETS A HEAD-COACHING JOB ELSEWHERE.”

It's an interesting proposition, but who knows with stuff like this.

A lot of decisions have to go a certain way for this to play out in that manner.

Also, I feel like Daboll's stock is lower than it was a year ago, and he was passed over then.

If something like this plays out, so be it!  We can discuss then, but it's so far away now, it's hard to get too caught in the speculation.

I really don’t want to lose Frazier (and don’t agree with the fans that do) but I’d be happy for him if he lands a head coaching job. I know he badly wants to be a head coach again and I think he’s earned the opportunity. The Bills defense has been consistently good every year, minus the weird 2020 covid year without crowds.

I’m not all that anxious to change what has been working pretty well.

Personally, I think he’s earned the shot more than Daboll has. But I’d rather Daboll get hired away than Frazier.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

This made me laugh out loud!  Like the fact that he will be fired is a foregone conclusion.

Which it probably is.  Still funny though.

Everyone knows Nagy is getting fired 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Daboll is going to be lucky to survive the Bills season. Someone is going to be the scapegoat.

If they end up 9-8 and miss the playoffs maybe 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

It's an interesting proposition, but who knows with stuff like this.

A lot of decisions have to go a certain way for this to play out in that manner.

Also, I feel like Daboll's stock is lower than it was a year ago, and he was passed over then.

If something like this plays out, so be it!  We can discuss then, but it's so far away now, it's hard to get too caught in the speculation.

It sounded like Daboll was going to San Diego but he couldn’t interview and Staley blew them away.  It was more of a timing issue for him.  Also he chose not to interview for Houston - he probably could’ve had that job.  

I would agree that his stock isn’t as high as last year but he is still highly regarded and a lot can change over the next few weeks

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Read the article:

..or Daboll gets fired...

If he is hired to a HC position we would get a 3rd round comp pick in each of the next two drafts because of the NFL's new minority hire incentive. I wouldn't be especially happy to see him go but McDermott is the real brains behind the defense and two top 100 draft picks is a nice reward.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Doubtful.  The bears are all about developing Fields, and Frazier isn’t the man for that. 

Or maybe Frazier has learned from the Minnesota gig and working under McDermott that he can hire an OC he trusts to develop Fields while he concentrates on the D and in game coaching. 

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If he is hired to a HC position we would get a 3rd round comp pick in each of the next two drafts because of the NFL's new minority hire incentive. I wouldn't be especially happy to see him go but McDermott is the real brains behind the defense and two top 100 draft picks is a nice reward.

This has Rooney Rule written all over it.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You mean that defense that had 10 guys crowding the line of scrimmage and only Hyde back when Harris blew past the line?

I think there's very little chance Daboll gets hired as a HC anywhere. He's still a Belichick guy, identity-wise (none of whom have succeeded in the past), and this season combined with all of the bad statistical seasons prior to Allen are going to make it impossible to sell him to a fan base. 

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.