I wouldn't trade Allen for anyone in the league

Success

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Youre always first in line to criticize the guy.  The contract was a no brainer.   Guy doesnt panic because the game is close.  He runs for his life half the time and has to make plays out of nothing.   At this point he may as well throw hinself the ball.   

Actually it wasn't, 5th year option sure but there was absolutely no reason for Beane to rush pay a guy who had one good season and was somewhat of an historical anomoly making the type of leap he did in year 3. A good GM would have made him prove it again like Mahomes did.

But again, not Allen's fault that we have a GM whose's made a series of very bad moves here that wanted to justify his only true good draft pick. But this is actually good news for folks like myself that see through Beane and McDermott because guess who will be the first to go between them and Allen...

• Haha (+1) 2

Agreed.  Now we just have to build a wall in front of him which will allow him to play to his best ability.  

the titans…..had 2 waiver wire Rbs run 31 times for 240 yards ragainst that same D that our RBs ran for 60 yards on 19 carries.

build a run game.  Thrive off of play action dominance and never be put in a position where the weather can have that kind of affect on what we want to do on offense.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Perhaps; he has shown his mental acuity.

But I think his physical tools are, quite simply, lacking and as such he will never teach an elite level (ie, on par w JA17). Brady had much better physical skills.

I mean, didn't we see how utterly slow and ineffective he was in the missed roll out pass? I was shocked, tbh. 

Hell, he's slower than Alec Baldwin accepting responsibility for his actions.

Look, Mac is not as good as Josh Allen the odds are overwhelmingly against him ever being THAT good, but Josh has HOF potential. This being a given, please tell us how many games he must win this season before your post will in fact be ridiculous? 10? 11? 12?

You are judging him in a road game with 55 mph wind gusts? Seriously?

You would be better off just trying to wish him away LOL!

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Allen carried us, what I haven’t seen mentioned is the fact that our OC took his star QB out of the game with the wind at his back in the first quarter. We went all in on the run when Josh should have been given opportunity earlier on. 

That was heavily mentioned in the game thread as it was unfolding.  It's just one of many things that fall under the umbrella of "terrible coaching" from last night.

Just fundamentally WRONG strategy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No QB not even Rogers could have thrown the absolute laser he threw in 50 mph winds on the final drive to Diggs along the sidelines…he is the best offensive player in the nfl just a shame he can’t play TE, RB, or and G

corrected

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Actually it wasn't, 5th year option sure but there was absolutely no reason for Beane to rush pay a guy who had one good season and was somewhat of an historical anomoly making the type of leap he did in year 3. A good GM would have made him prove it again like Mahomes did.

But again, not Allen's fault that we have a GM whose's made a series of very bad moves here that wanted to justify his only true good draft pick. But this is actually good news for folks like myself that see through Beane and McDermott because guess who will be the first to go between them and Allen...

Who exactly where you going to replace Allen with? Mitch trubisky? Trade him for draft picks to like the Saints or Eagles?  
  Maybe hope to tank a year and hit on another QB that’s in Allen’s area code? While Josh would have been off in like New Orleans with a guy like Sean Payton building an offensive around him.
 Wait till you see the deals Mayfield and Jackson sign much less Herbert and Murray Josh will look like a bargain in 3 years.

But of course despite almost identical stats and leading the pro bowl voting for QBs he’s peaked 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Who exactly where you going to replace Allen with? Mitch trubisky? Trade him for draft picks to like the Saints or Eagles?  
  Maybe hope to tank a year and hit on another QB that’s in Allen’s area code? While Josh would have been off in like New Orleans with a guy like Sean Payton building an offensive around him.
 Wait till you see the deals Mayfield and Jackson sign much less Herbert and Murray Josh will look like a bargain in 3 years.

But of course despite almost identical stats and leading the pro bowl voting for QBs he’s peaked 

Mayfield will get paid some Money but I don’t think it’ll be the Browns that will do it. Even I’m doubting Jackson will get paid much

1 hour ago, Success said:

I've heard so many takes that it said nothing about Jones, because they didn't have to pass. But I agree 100% - it was clear to me what they thought of Jones, and where they think his ceiling might be.  

We'll never fear Mac Jones.  He'll work great in BB's system, but lots of QB's would & could.  We just need to build early leads on that team for different results.

Build leads seems to work when you play the bad teams. This year they haven't looked good against teams over .500. 

As far as Jones goes, why throw it last night when you were running it effectively. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

The only QB I think is really "better" is Rogers, and he's getting old - so I don't make that trade.

Objectively, there isn't another QB in the league I'd rather have.  He can literally do everything at this point - touch passes, bombs, playing in the wind & bad conditions, running, diagnosing defenses & changing plays at the line.  HIs play is guts personified - he is fearless out there.  Outside of Brady, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a QB who is more driven, competitive and obsessed w/ improving.

Compared to Mac Jones?  Please. We'll have the better QB as long as he's in NE, by a mile. Last night showed me that the hype is just that - hype.  I know people will say they didn't have to pass, but they didn't WANT to pass. Jones is a game manager playing under the best coach & in one of the best systems. He'd be average at best anywhere else.

Ummmmm...Mac Jones is so good that he only needed to complete 2 passes to beat us.  Clearly he is THAT good.

Just kidding.  I agree.  I wouldn't take anyone RIGHT NOW over Allen.  The guy plays his ass off, has generational talent, and is gutsy as hell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The third year leap had a lot to do about making the talent around him a ton better.    Not to mention he came into the league with Rick Dennison as his Offensive Coordinator.   Mahomes came into the league with a historically great offensive head coach, and loads of talent to throw to.

It is incredible to me that you think Beane and McDermott have made a series of bad moves, when they are the only GM and HC pairing that have been successful in Buffalo in 20 years.    Its also incredible to me that you think giving Allen who is a top ten player at his position an extension was a bad move.    Winning in the NFL is incredibly hard, winning a Super Bowl is next to impossible.   I think your takes have a lot more to do about current emotions, than actual reality. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I'm not saying Allen needs to be replaced, I'm saying the smart move by this organization would have been to not extend him and let the season play out just like the Browns and Ravens have with mayfield and jackson respectively.

It's not like Beane would have had to pay much more than $250M if he waited and Allen had an even better season this year but again he showed his poor judgement by rushing to get this deal done and having the Bills PR department put out a fluff pieces about how it got done 'behind the scenes' because they must relieving believes he's some sort of genius.

Assuming Allen has reached is ceiling or progressively gets worth this contracts not only ends the Beane/McDermott era but kills the franchise in general for the foreseable future. Bottom line it didn't have to happen.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not saying Allen needs to be replaced, I'm saying the smart move by this organization would have been to not extend him and let the season play out just like the Browns and Ravens have with mayfield and jackson respectively.

It's not like Beane would have had to pay much more than $250M if he waited and Allen had an even better season this year but again he showed his poor judgement by rushing to get this deal done and having the Bills PR department put out a fluff pieces about how it got done 'behind the scenes' because they must relieving believes he's some sort of genius.

Assuming Allen has reached is ceiling or progressively gets worth this contracts not only ends the Beane/McDermott era but kills the franchise in general for the foreseable future. Bottom line it didn't have to happen.

Meanwhile if you wait until the end of the season you end up having to pay more because of the cap increase and the extension of other players at the position.  If the Ravens want to extend Lamar, they will have to give him more than what Josh was given.    If they dont give him the contract you also have to go through a whole season of having to answer questions about "whether Josh is your guy" or "when will the contract get done."  Not doing it, when it was inevitable would have been incredibly stupid. 

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again it's not that I don't believe Allen may not be the long term answer, it's what's happening at present and how he has taken a big step backwards after signing the richest QB deal in league history.

But for sure I would still take Mahomes or Kyler Murray (right now) over Allen if I had the opportunity to do it. Still think Lamar Jackson has been phenomenal as well given that half his team is on IR but that may be catching up to him as well over the last few weeks.

So you are saying there are three QBs you would take before Allen .. all reasonable choices in my opinion. I personally believe that Mahomes has a better track record .. but all of your selections were upper-echelon guys .. so you may order them one way and I may order them slightly differently, but each of them will have a contract at least as large as Josh Allen's .. so did they overpay? I would say no.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He still doesn’t, last nights game told me everything about Mac Jones. He’s an average game manager at best. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t trust Jones

In one of the many, many other post-game threads, I looked back at what happened in that famous 1974 game where the Bills and the Jets combined for 2 completed passes. It was a September rain and wind storm with gusts in the 40-50 mph range.

Joe Namath threw 18 passes. 2 completions. 3 interceptions.

Joe Ferguson threw 2 passes. 0 completions.

The Bills won the game.

Nobody anywhere ever accused Joe Ferguson of having a weak arm. And he attempted two passes. 

It's called strategy, not "trust" of your QB. Back in Sept 1973 and again last night one coach got it.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He still doesn’t, last nights game told me everything about Mac Jones. He’s an average game manager at best. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t trust Jones

or maybe he just doesn't trust him in games with 60 mPH win gusts.  BB is focused on winning games not proving to Bills fans he trusts Mac Jones. 

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Allen is a great QB. He was very good yesterday. I think he was also part of the execution problem in RZ last drive (he missed Diggs on 2nd down and Beasley on 4th), but that is fine, nobody is perfect. He is due for 4the quarter comeback and that makes me actually feel good with playoffs getting closer. I think people underestimate how bad we are running this season from variance point of view. We had chances (sometimes multiple) and did not manage to execute 4th Q comebacks in all our losses except Indy, and that will not happen forever. We are not that bad, we are just very unlucky.

If we cut our drops in half last night (there were probably 5 or 6) we win that game.

Knox dropped 2 and got outmuscled for one in the EZ.  Diggs dropped that INCREDIBLE long TD pass from Allen that was as on-the-money as you could be in that weather (yes... I call that a drop because I think that's a catch Diggs would typically make... difficult but catchable).  Beasley dropped one.  Sanders saw one go off his hands.

It just got ridiculous last night.  In retrospect Allen was spectacular given the weather conditions.  The problem was his OC didn't bother tapping into the aspect of his game that was the most obvious thing to use and probably would have further ensured us of a W: Josh's legs.

Not a single designed QB run in those weather conditions is just criminal.

Allen is fantastic but I want to see him reach a point mentally where he's like Manning or Kelly and is allowed to call ALL his own plays on the field.  I know it wouldn't be perfect, but I don't think I'd ever call him a coward... and we had some cowardly coaching yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.