I wouldn't trade Allen for anyone in the league

Success

I don’t care what the stats say to justify an argument around the 2021 Josh Allen thus far.  Kirk Cousins’ numbers are in an elite category this year - look at his team’s record and his performance in close games when plays need to be made.  We see this every year with QBs (and name any other position) where the statistics do not tell the entire story. 

Allen hasn’t played as well as he did last year.  He hasn’t made the plays he has had to at key moments many times this year.   He has shown inconsistencies and questionable decision making countless times.  He has repeatedly made poor reads. 

Can anyone disagree with that? In comparison to his 2020 season?  The standard he set when he earned the franchise name tag and pay grade.  That is his benchmark. 

Now, is it because of the offensive line? Lack of run game? Scheme?  Maybe.  

It’s the same offensive line as last year and last time I checked we couldn’t run the ball last year either.  I find it hard to believe it’s all on Daboll and scheme.  That is a classic scapegoat excuse to not call out our Franchise QB. 

Allen hasn’t been bad.  Who knows where the team would be without him.  But it’s fair to say, Allen hasn’t been the Allen of 2020. 

Edited by RoscoeParrish

12 hours ago, harryS said:

I disagree.  Belichick has the same game plan with a rookie Brady or a rookie Josh Allen.  Why pass when you don't have to?

Unfortunately part of the "you don't have to" calculation was that Belichick knew the 4th year QB on the opposing sideline wouldn't hurt him (not to mention the opposing OL, OC, etc).

That's exactly right.  No one is saying Josh hasn't been good.  On a scale of 1 to 10, we need him to be a 10 and he's getting paid like a 10, but he's given us a 7 this season.

Why pass when you don't have to?  Because you don't know what is going to happen later.  Our O despite not scoring much did move the ball.  Their O despite a couple runs didn't move the ball much nor score much either.  I'm not a coach but Im not waiting until I am down 10 points if Im not scoring either.

NE drives to start the game

3 plays minus 1 yard punt

3 plays 5 yards punt

Both those series were 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 5 and they wouldn't throw the ball.  This is with them knowing they are punting against the wind.

The next series they were 2nd and 11.  Wouldn't throw the ball. 3rd and 5 and still wouldn't throw the ball.  Then they broke the big run.

I mean sure at this point you could say "they didn't haaaaave to throw" but come on man.  They had a lot of series like this.  The Bills could have scored anytime to take the lead.  They didn't throw the ball because they didn't trust that the noodle arm could in that weather.  There are other teams they could have just run the ball and still won, not needing to throw but they still threw the ball then.

Edited by Scott7975

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Allen was not the reason this team lost last night but at one point you have to carry a team and will them to victory and for $250M the results have simply not been there especially in close games like last night where multiple opportunities to win presented themself.

Ok by willing the team do you mean putting lasers into guys chest going against the wind only to have them drop them?  I mean he couldn’t have done anything more than he did. I seriously think he took that game over and it was evident in the 4th quarter. Or maybe you mean he could have not false started for Knox once we were in the red zone. Or maybe he could prevent his offensive lineman from getting walked back into him causing a sack on 3rd down forcing them to try to kick into the wind instead of going for it on a manageable 4th and short. 

People want so badly to assign blame to one person. We have multiple threads trying to blame the defense for giving up 14 points to the highest scoring offense. 

Sometimes you come up short. There were several factors. Josh was not any of the factors for us coming up short last night. WR/TE drops, critical penalties, lack of run game, stalling out in the red zone, among a few of the more noticeable reasons. 

It sucks losing but Josh was one of the lone highlights from last night. His throws will probably be the most amazing throws of the entire season but no one will remember them because of drops and us coming up short. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

Ok by willing the team do you mean putting lasers into guys chest going against the wind only to have them drop them?  I mean he couldn’t have done anything more than he did. I seriously think he took that game over and it was evident in the 4th quarter. Or maybe you mean he could have not false started for Knox once we were in the red zone. Or maybe he could prevent his offensive lineman from getting walked back into him causing a sack on 3rd down forcing them to try to kick into the wind instead of going for it on a manageable 4th and short. 

People want so badly to assign blame to one person. We have multiple threads trying to blame the defense for giving up 14 points to the highest scoring offense. 

Sometimes you come up short. There were several factors. Josh was not any of the factors for us coming up short last night. WR/TE drops, critical penalties, lack of run game, stalling out in the red zone, among a few of the more noticeable reasons. 

It sucks losing but Josh was one of the lone highlights from last night. His throws will probably be the most amazing throws of the entire season but no one will remember them because of drops and us coming up short. 

I will remember him not recognizing cover zero like he regressed to 2018 again on the last play of the game.  I will also remember him taking an untimely sack inside the redzone and making poor reads and missing open players in critical moments.  Rolling right and forcing a ball to Knox in the late stage of the game, when he had Diggs wide open over the middle at the 6 yard line, immediately comes to mind.  

And you say Josh wasn’t at least ONE of the many reasons we came up short?  Are you kidding?  All his fault, absolutely not.  Does he share some of the blame?  100%. 

Edited by RoscoeParrish

34 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I will remember him not recognizing cover zero like he regressed to 2018 again on the last play of the game.  I will also remember him taking an untimely sack inside the redzone and making poor reads and missing open players in critical moments.  Rolling right and forcing a ball to Knox in the late stage of the game, when he had Diggs wide open over the middle at the 6 yard line, immediately comes to mind.  

And you say Josh wasn’t at least ONE of the many reasons we came up short?  Are you kidding?  All his fault, absolutely not.  Does he share some of the blame?  100%. 

The sack in the red zone you put on Josh?  The one where he spun to try and get out of the sack?  Tel me one other QB in the league besides maybe Lamar or Mahomes who miraculously even keeps that play alive. 

not recognizing cover zero on 4th and 17?  Maybe he knew it was cover zero and decided pre snap he was going to try and wiggle and then throw a miracle pass into 40 mph wind. Everyone keeps forgetting that the passes he was confident throwing were to the flats and sidelines. Throwing over the middle to Beasley like so many think we’re wide open we’re the throws that he said we’re sailing on him. The pregame and in game commentators mentioned that multiple times.  But sure just because he made some throws that probably no one ever can/will let’s hold him to some kind of impossible standard. There’s been other games where I’ve been upset with Josh (Jacksonville comes to mind). Not this game in the least. 

22 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

There are a few QBs that are still ahead of him in the mental part of the game, but his physical attributes are second to none. You gotta hope next year good decision making will be further amplified by a better supporting cast. Next year could’ve been this year though, but Beane didn’t make those moves, he just decided to “run it back” with the same roster that failed in the AFCCG.

If he had a run game he wouldn't need to improve as much on mental side.  Imagine if on 3rd and 3 he could check to a run and feel good about us getting it.  Instead he puts it all on him and makes some bad decisions. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on with this *****…. Their are literally FA RBs getting signed off the street and rushing for over 100 yards a game…. The line is the problem. Not the backs. How many times does this need to be pointed out????

It's both.  

Yes or no.....you will be satisfied going into next season with Singletary and Moss as the guys

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The concept and throw to Davis was specifically a cover zero beater. Come on.

11 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

The sack in the red zone you put on Josh?  The one where he spun to try and get out of the sack?  Tel me one other QB in the league besides maybe Lamar or Mahomes who miraculously even keeps that play alive. 

not recognizing cover zero on 4th and 17?  Maybe he knew it was cover zero and decided pre snap he was going to try and wiggle and then throw a miracle pass into 40 mph wind. Everyone keeps forgetting that the passes he was confident throwing were to the flats and sidelines. Throwing over the middle to Beasley like so many think we’re wide open we’re the throws that he said we’re sailing on him. The pregame and in game commentators mentioned that multiple times.  But sure just because he made some throws that probably no one ever can/will let’s hold him to some kind of impossible standard. There’s been other games where I’ve been upset with Josh (Jacksonville comes to mind). Not this game in the least. 

I mean we can nitpick every single play, but he wasn’t great in the game.  He could have played better.  Yes, the concept on Cover 0 was there (credit Daboll?).  But the execution wasn’t.  Blame the O line? Receivers? Josh?  Wind?

Bottom line is it’s dumb IMO to say that Josh wasn’t PART of the reason we lost. Not the entire reason, but part of the reason for sure falls on him.  

Edited by RoscoeParrish

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I mean we can nitpick every single play, but he wasn’t great in the game.  He could have played better.  Yes, the concept on Cover 0 was there (credit Daboll?).  But the execution wasn’t.  Blame the O line? Receivers? Josh?  Wind?

Bottom line is it’s dumb IMO to say that Josh wasn’t PART of the reason we lost. Not the entire reason, but part of the reason for sure falls on him.  

It was a huge reason!  Most folks here won't agree with you however; that doesn't mean it's not correct.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It was a huge reason!  Most folks here won't agree with you however; that doesn't mean it's not correct.

So Allen's play was a "huge reason" the Bills lost?  Where would you rate it in comparison to:

*  Brieda's fumble?

*  Knox dropping two first down passes in Patriot territory?

*  Diggs dropping a TD pass?

*  A missed short FG?

*  The O-line's play?

*   A defense that allowed a 65 yard TD run on 3rd & 5?

*  RB's who didn't break tackles or hit the holes?

* Coaching

Allen wasn't perfect.  I would give him a B+/A- considering the wind conditions.  And sure if he had played at an A+ level and made that last throw we would have likely won the game.  But IMO Allen wasn't in the top 10 reasons we lost that game.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So Allen's play was a "huge reason" the Bills lost?  Where would you rate it in comparison to:

*  Brieda's fumble?

*  A missed short FG?

*  The O-line's play?

* Coaching

Allen wasn't perfect.  I would give him a B+/A- considering the wind conditions.  And sure if he had played at an A+ level and made that last throw we would have likely won the game.  But IMO Allen wasn't in the top 10 reasons we lost that game.

Under weather conditions so adverse the Sith Lord ordered three passes attempted by Wonder Boy Jr, Allen made numerous throws that should have been caught. The fifty yarder to Diggs was exceptional. If anything, Allen should have thrown more and run more, though Knox had a nostalgia game of oops, what do I do when the ball hits me in the hands? The fella you are chatting with has a history of downgrading Allen. He's just wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

So actual reasons for the reason we lost are nitpicking various plays? But critiquing Josh Allen's play is some kind of grand insight into the reason we lost and not nitpicking? 

If Moss has the vision to see this wide open TD run, we win.

I mean Brandon freaking Bolden could get to the edge on the 2 pt conversion. Moss just doesn't have the vision.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2021 at 8:45 AM, Fred Slacks said:

I wouldn't even put Lamar in that category anymore.  He is the most sacked QB in the league with 37.  Removing part time QBs, Josh is one of the least sacked with 19.

• Like (+1) 2

I was thinking that the Moss missed TD was more of the defense reacting and he was already in the middle by the time the edge cleared up. But no. He take the handoff, takes one step, and Spencer Brown seals up the edge for him. All he has to do is see that lane and bounce it outside and he's going to score. 

Here's my hot take: Singletary scores there. I don't get this team's obsession with Moss. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  Brieda's fumble?

*  A missed short FG?

*  The O-line's play?

* Coaching

Maybe I am in the minority here but for the conditions, Josh played a great game. Reading these comments, some people are acting like Josh was playing in a dome. There were so many drops and mistakes by others that you cannot put much blame on Josh. He missed a few throws but all QBs do, in every game, let alone ones where the wind was that much of a factor. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, cisco2403 said:

Maybe I am in the minority here but for the conditions, Josh played a great game. Reading these comments, some people are acting like Josh was playing in a dome. There were so many drops and mistakes by others that you cannot put much blame on Josh. He missed a few throws but all QBs do, in every game, let alone ones where the wind was that much of a factor. 

You're not in the minority at all.  The vast majority of Bills fans thought Allen played surprisingly well under the circumstances.  There's just a vocal minority that seems to delight in taking every little perceived Allen failing and blowing it up way out of proportion.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.