Tre White knee injury UPDATE: Out for the Season Notification top of page 1

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Like I posted before the season started you do that by not wasting roster spots on special teams only players.  Any backup CBcan do what Taiwan Jones can do. Kumerow has done nothing all year. Those are two spots that could have been used for a DB.

A DB to do what though? Nothing all year just like Jones and Kumerow? This entire debate about DB depth makes no sense. Hindsight is always great when we now know which position may have suffered the season ending injury. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not having White doesn't change the basic objective of the defense,   which is to encourage the offense to take small gains and hope they can't execute.

And they can still run man........Jackson can cover.........but from what we've seen there will be chances for teams to create some bigger plays in the pass game.   They most likely won't be as efficient with regard to not giving up chunk plays in the pass game but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be scorched now.

And perhaps not having White back there lights a fire under this pass rush.    Sometimes losing a star player can help a unit find another level of effort and focus.   That really has been the biggest issue with the team this year........being focused on the task at hand.  

And also..........the real weakness of the defense has been their want-to and technique in run defense.   With White out.........maybe teams will be more inclined to try to throw the ball a bit more.   I still prefer the Bills chances defending the pass.......so more throws is better, IMO.

But ultimately it's on the offense to stop being so erratic.   Allen is a huge game-changing weapon who can keep 2-3 otherwise stalled drives alive with his athleticism every game..........so if they are executing they should be nearly unstoppable.

That's clearly been the most discouraging part of the season to this point.......they get stopped by their own often-inexplicable mistakes far more than they get well-defensed.  They need to be focused and start being better than the sum of their parts.    That's what championship teams do down the stretch.

Which is why I don't understand with the pass blocking issues they have had why Daboll hasn't started moving the pocket more with Allen.  This would help with a couple things:

1) It would get Allen away from the immediate middle pressure that seems to be happening so much since Ford gets smoked more often than not

2) It would cause the DL to have to chase Allen all over the field which would wear on them as the game wore on and tire them out, limiting their effectiveness as time went on from being tired.

3) This might also open up holes in the run game since a tired DLine would be less effective getting off blocks and tackling, leading to more arm tackles and poor technique.

4) It would allow Allen and his WR's more creativity in getting open downfield, and allow for misdirection throwbacks that could result in HUGE plays since the flow would be taking all the defenders towards the play side

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I am very interested to see how NE attacks our defense now.  Do they line up heavy and run the ball?  Do they go light with a bunch of WRs and line up 3,4&5 wide to stress our secondary?  I’d think the former is more likely, but IDK.

Their game plan will not change. They are a physical football team that wants to run the ball and hit the RB's and TE's in the passing game. I would expect them to throw in the occasional trick play with Bourne or one of their WR's throwing a pass deep down field. They seem to do that in at least one of the games we play them in every year. 

If they do change their game plan to use more WR's and run the ball less I got to believe that benefits the Bills defense even with White out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not having White doesn't change the basic objective of the defense,   which is to encourage the offense to take small gains and hope they can't execute.

And they can still run man........Jackson can cover.........but from what we've seen there will be chances for teams to create some bigger plays in the pass game.   They most likely won't be as efficient with regard to not giving up chunk plays in the pass game but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be scorched now.

And perhaps not having White back there lights a fire under this pass rush.    Sometimes losing a star player can help a unit find another level of effort and focus.   That really has been the biggest issue with the team this year........being focused on the task at hand.  

And also..........the real weakness of the defense has been their want-to and technique in run defense.   With White out.........maybe teams will be more inclined to try to throw the ball a bit more.   I still prefer the Bills chances defending the pass.......so more throws is better, IMO.

But ultimately it's on the offense to stop being so erratic.   Allen is a huge game-changing weapon who can keep 2-3 otherwise stalled drives alive with his athleticism every game..........so if they are executing they should be nearly unstoppable.

That's clearly been the most discouraging part of the season to this point.......they get stopped by their own often-inexplicable mistakes far more than they get well-defensed.  They need to be focused and start being better than the sum of their parts.    That's what championship teams do down the stretch.

It doesn't but it takes the ability to basically allow him to erase a player from a play more often than not and let the defense "cheat" towards other areas of the field or towards other players.

Edited by Big Turk

13 minutes ago, Process said:

If it does turn out to be an ACL, what's the recovery usually like for CBs? Would the start of next season be in question?

The worry would be that it takes him basically a whole year once he recovers and starts playing again to get back to his old self

• Agree 1

Scheming to get to the QB faster certainly can help cover for his loss. Our defensive ends need to step the hell up and force QB's into errors which lead to turnovers.

Getting Brown back on the o-line and stabilizing that unit could lead to more offensive production which can help as well.

Losing Tre sucks the big one but I expect others, on both sides of the ball, to puck up the slack.

Edited by Beast

I remember very well when I blew out my ACL while in the USAF stationed in Germany. We had soccer practice indoors due to some torrential rain we were experiencing that day, so we were using the base gym. I  jumped over a makeshift goal net to avoid a collision and when I came down I heard a discernible "POP" and immediately collapsed onto both knees.

The pain was the worst I had ever experienced up to that point of my life. I had tears coming out of my eyes. I could not control them.

5 minutes later I was up and about shooting hoops, no pain at all. As if it never happened.

Of course I was then mis-diagnosed at my base clinic.. and then a few months later had major knee surgery with my ACL and medial and lateral meniscus but I digress....

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The offensive is a decent offensive line away of being pretty dang dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Process said:

If it does turn out to be an ACL, what's the recovery usually like for CBs? Would the start of next season be in question?

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he would be ready for September. But not ready for camp. 

Look at Harry, he was back the September after, but not very effective all year and he tore his in October.  Usually they say it's a full year to get back to where you were prior.  If it's MCL, then may be faster??

I think this may mean we draft a CB in round 1.  White may be a strong #2 CB next season, but would be nervous with his as the #1.  By 2023, should be OK IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, Process said:

He could probably play around the middle of next season but won’t really be right until the following year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Exactly. Some folks just want more warm bodies on the sideline I guess. I don't get how that helps the Bills. Bills only play three CB's a game for the most part and all three are above average for their positions #1, #2 and nickle corner. Can't ask for much better than that while still needing to field a 53 man roster. Injuries happen in the NFL and now it is time for us to deal with one. 

Re: CB depth. Other than the Broncos, who were resolutely focused on acquiring CB depth in the offseason (as if CB depth was their primary problem), I agree that no team is in particularly good shape there. You lose one of the best CBs in the game, the dropoff is going to be huge.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Look at Harry, he was back the September after, but not very effective all year and he tore his in October.  Usually they say it's a full year to get back to where you were prior.  If it's MCL, then may be faster??

I think this may mean we draft a CB in round 1.  White may be a strong #2 CB next season, but would be nervous with his as the #1.  By 2023, should be OK IMO.

I am not convinced Harry's struggles were anything to do with his injury. He just isn't very good. He has the odd good game but he has more bad than good. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

White may be a strong #2 CB next season, but would be nervous with his as the #1.  By 2023, should be OK IMO.

This is a good point. In my experience (x3), it is a 1.5-2yr full recovery. Obviously I'm not a pro athlete but I'm very active.

After 3 mo, you can run (linear) movement w/o many issues; hell, I tore for 3rd time in Iraq and still stayed for couple months.

Everything else is building back quickness and movement, both mentally and physically.

I believe @Hapless Bills Fanhad one or more and would be interested in his take.

*for emphasis: we still don't know what this injury is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.