NFL plans to settle with Saint Louis, terms to be made public(UPDATE settled for 790 million---UPDATE speculated Chargers/Raiders may have leaked internal documents to St Louis implicating Kroenke)

Big Turk

Looks like they don't want this going to trial...interesting to see what the terms are and if we ever find out exactly what percentage scumbag Kroenke is on the hook for.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-st-louis-settlement-details-141212770.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-nfl-st-louis-reach-154433579.html

The Rams, NFL and St. Louis have reached a settlement of $790 million in the relocation lawsuit, but it doesn't include an expansion team 

EDIT: Apparently it's being speculated the Chargers and Raiders leaked documents and info to Saint Louis while they were competing for their Carson Stadium bid that gave them the smoking gun for the lawsuit...hence why Kroenke feels he shouldn't pay everything since other owners actually caused the problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/news-analysis-did-other-nfl-021936912.html

Wow! Going to get interesting...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to NFL plans to settle with Saint Louis, terms to be made public(UPDATE settled for 790 million)
1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I doubt it’s going to be an expansion team or any other team apart of the deal. They’re probably going to get a ***** ton of Money from both Kronke and the NFL. 

790 million is the settlement...includes the entire NFL, no expansion team.

If they had a football team they could use it to build a stadium, but do not probably never will.  I am sure this hurts for the NFL owners because they hate to lose, but it’s barely half what they scammed from the Chargers and Rams for the  right to move.  

A couple of things come to mind -

1) So if this is the value of losing an NFL franchise, this should influence how much NYS & Erie contribute to keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

2) I assume the St Louis area is (far?) more than 1M people.  Is less than $1000/head really worth losing your football team? (I realize govt cost/revenue doesn't get apportioned that way, but I live ~300 miles from Buffalo & I certainly don't want the Bills living & would consider that remuneration pittance.)

• Disagree 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two things- one I am glad he is paying for negotiating in bad faith, hopefully owners are more honest. Secondly I hope St Louis does not blow the money on stupid crap, which is my predixtion

Saint Louis is quite ghetto to a large degree, so there is plenty of things that money could go towards...went to school and lived there for 4.5 years, and my school was ranked as the most dangerous college in America based on the surrounding neighborhood while I was there. The publication got sued for that by the school, but they weren't wrong. Lots of crime surrounding that area...unsure of how it is now but I doubt it's much different.

Has quite a few very nice and affluent suburbs tho and there are very nice sections of the city...just more sections with Chop Suey stores on every corner where you see guys hanging out and shooting craps tho.

Edited by Big Turk

Interesting.  I guess the NFL really was afraid of it going to trial.  Still, $790M is good coin for STL to hopefully put to good use.  Does it say/does anyone know whether STL will never get an expansion team, or that it just wasn't part of the settlement?

And if Kroenke isn't footing the entire bill, at most the owners who voted to allow Kroenke to move should be on the hook for it.

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Will this give more leverage to cities vs team owners threatening to leave? Or it's just that THIS one could be proven to have been negotiated in bad faith?

Dont most owners that want ti move their team negotiate in bad faith?  I thought that was standard procedure...

2 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

Dont most owners that want ti move their team negotiate in bad faith?  I thought that was standard procedure...

Ha ha. Well, if true, that will give them some restraints. Normal for an owner to get leverage by negotiating with more than one city though... 

I"m an Expo's fan and I know all about empty promises and half-hearted gestures which make it appear as though things are happening.  When the Tampa Bay Rays did it like you could imagine me all but dancing like I did when the Expo's/Nats beat the cheaters.  Instead it was more to say that we'd been had and investors were got burned.  Welcome to the suck which is being a forever faithful Montreal fan... we still have the Habs and Guy is fighting cancer hard.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanted this to go to court. I’d like the nfl to be exposed for once. While I detest what gruden said in those Washington emails, I hope he doesn’t settle out of court like St. Louis did. I’d like to see the man behind the curtain of oz (goodell and inner working of league office). Still haven’t been able to forgive them for covering up concussion information, covering up spygate, and not taking care of former players 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Possibly stupid question: will this impact next year's salary cap, or is it all wrapped up in the NFL's insurance policy and not connected to team revenue? By my calculation, it's about $25 million per team.

Cap is based on league revenue, not expenses.

6 hours ago, london_bills said:

Losing your team to LA off all places must be gut wrenching for St Louis fans

What were your thoughts when the LA lost the Rams to STL, of all places?

2 hours ago, major said:

I wanted this to go to court. I’d like the nfl to be exposed for once. While I detest what gruden said in those Washington emails, I hope he doesn’t settle out of court like St. Louis did. I’d like to see the man behind the curtain of oz (goodell and inner working of league office). Still haven’t been able to forgive them for covering up concussion information, covering up spygate, and not taking care of former players 

Exposed....as what?  What would you get out of this?  They provide (essentially) free entertainment for you.  

If you want to know about the inner workings of the league, why not email one of those involved in them...Terry Pegula.  Ask him your questions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exposed....as what?  What would you get out of this?  They provide (essentially) free entertainment for you.  

If you want to know about the inner workings of the league, why not email one of those involved in them...Terry Pegula.  Ask him your questions.

Yes fair point. My point was more a smaller market team losing their team to a big market, which we were worried about a few years ago. And the fact there are two teams in LA

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are a monopoly that has been allowed to do what they want for way too long. They are their own judge, jury, and executioner.  They have no checks and balances. The entertainment is not free. And no owner is going to email a fan back with answers to their questions 

• Vomit 1

59 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yes fair point. My point was more a smaller market team losing their team to a big market, which we were worried about a few years ago. And the fact there are two teams in LA

LA had 2 teams before

30 minutes ago, major said:

They are a monopoly that has been allowed to do what they want for way too long. They are their own judge, jury, and executioner.  They have no checks and balances. The entertainment is not free. And no owner is going to email a fan back with answers to their questions 

It’s a TV show.  You put on your TV and for no extra charge, an NFL game comes on.  

Every major pro sports league in this country is a similar monopoly, does that bother you as well? MLB was allowed to ignore/bury rampant steroid use for decades.  NHL pays players to assault each other during games as part of the show.

Why does any of this bother you if you enjoy the product they provide.  It’s just a game, entertainment for your viewing pleasure. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So much for recent reports that STL was going to take Kroenke for half his worth.  Why wouldn't they go to trial?

Under a billion and no team.  

Have you ever paid attorneys fees?  Ever seen a jury trial ( as opposed to arbitration  , which is not a whole lot better , very political based on who the arbitrator is, ) and a trail coils go on for quite a while, years with appeals.   Always better to avoid trail and settle and get what you can.  The greedy don’t always win!  😀

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

LA had 2 teams before

It’s a TV show.  You put on your TV and for no extra charge, an NFL game comes on.  

Every major pro sports league in this country is a similar monopoly, does that bother you as well? MLB was allowed to ignore/bury rampant steroid use for decades.  NHL pays players to assault each other during games as part of the show.

Why does any of this bother you if you enjoy the product they provide.  It’s just a game, entertainment for your viewing pleasure. 

Yes I know

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Have you ever paid attorneys fees?  Ever seen a jury trial ( as opposed to arbitration  , which is not a whole lot better , very political based on who the arbitrator is, ) and a trail coils go on for quite a while, years with appeals.   Always better to avoid trail and settle and get what you can.  The greedy don’t always win!  😀

yes i have. But my pockets aren't as deep as those of the NFL, which I suspect isn't worried about attorney fees.

My guess is they lowballed the yokels in STL and were stunned by the acceptance (thinking their exposure was in the billions) ....and ran to the bank to draft the check.

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, if it cleans up their act and stop them acting from a place of impunity, which is the root of all evil, then fine by me. I don't want all details, nor the league to hurt. But if it's temporarily wounded to heal better, as in some of the top echelon guys feeling the heat, good. All fans, players, former players, coaches, etc. want

to feel good about it all. Normal human reaction.

And in this case discussed on the thread, it's to NOT have the Bills move! So I think it matters.

38 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Well, if it cleans up their act and stop them acting from a place of impunity, which is the root of all evil, then fine by me. I don't want all details, nor the league to hurt. But if it's temporarily wounded to heal better, as in some of the top echelon guys feeling the heat, good. All fans, players, former players, coaches, etc. want

to feel good about it all. Normal human reaction.

And in this case discussed on the thread, it's to NOT have the Bills move! So I think it matters.

They were caught (STL alleges) breaking their own "rules" about moving  team.  They will simply rewrite their rules so they will never be faced with such a suit again. 

None of this would prevent the Bills from moving in the future.  In fact, PSE laid the groundwork by publicly saying (re: funding the Pegula family  a stadium) that Buffalo needed to decide whether they wanted to remain an NFL team city.  Smart move--avoids the two-faced approach Kreonke is accused of in STL, for which they paid a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Jerome007 said:

Yikes. Likely true. Though the cities have a say in this. But it's the modern way to do it: don't break the rules, just rewrite them first.

They are allowed to write their corporate rules, like any other company.  Cities aren't consulted.   Teams successfully have moved teams many times for decades under the same threats as Kreonke did (always over a new stadium)---they were more open about it. that's the difference 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yes i have. But my pockets aren't as deep as those of the NFL, which I suspect isn't worried about attorney fees.

My guess is they lowballed the yokels in STL and were stunned by the acceptance (thinking their exposure was in the billions) ....and ran to the bank to draft the check.

STL was looking for around $1B in damages.  I'd say settling for a few hundred million less was worth it to them, as well as the NFL because they knew they would lose and owners' information would have been made public.  Not bad for STL when many thought they were foolish to even bring a lawsuit against the NFL because they thought they had no chance. 

What I would like to know is who pays for it (it better just be Kroenke, and at most the owners who approved the move) and if STL is interested in an expansion team in the future and whether the NFL has closed the door on that with the settlement, considering they appear to want to expand the league?

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were caught (STL alleges) breaking their own "rules" about moving  team.  They will simply rewrite their rules so they will never be faced with such a suit again. 

None of this would prevent the Bills from moving in the future.  In fact, PSE laid the groundwork by publicly saying (re: funding the Pegula family  a stadium) that Buffalo needed to decide whether they wanted to remain an NFL team city.  Smart move--avoids the two-faced approach Kreonke is accused of in STL, for which they paid a lot.

Eh, PSE just said the obvious part out loud.  Public funds will have to be used.  And in the end both will contribute, a new stadium will be built and the team will stay in Buffalo for my lifetime.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, haroldwaide said:

What they know and what they can prove are two different things. Clearly they could prove bad faith negotiating took place with this one...

Edited by Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to NFL plans to settle with Saint Louis, terms to be made public(UPDATE settled for 790 million---UPDATE other NFL teams may have leaked documents to St Louis detailing why their move wasn't on the up and up)

Wow...very very interesting now...apparently being speculated Chargers and Raiders leaked info to St Louis that gave them the smoking gun and info/documents showing what Kroenke was doing was shady which led to the lawsuit because they were in a competing bid for Carson and hoped that information would force Kroenke to have to stay and the NFL would approve their bid instead...hence why Kroenke doesn't feel obligated to pay it all and is willing to sue the NFL because he is claiming they wronged him and caused the situation to happen.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/news-analysis-did-other-nfl-021936912.html

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.