Huh, this is weird (Jags game personnel sets)

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No reason to disbelieve this, but it's weird

Given the struggles in run blocking and pass protection, one might think a little (2,1) with Gilliam as a HB or (1,2) with an extra OL blocking would not be amiss

It's almost as though at times Daboll doesn't even have those plays in the gameplan for the week.

or even two HB's and let them both chip for the tackles on the way out to the flats.  Give the WR's time to work down the field and the middle and back the coverage even further off so if you do outlet to a back he has 3 or 4 yards before they close on him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just shows me Josh and the offense feels most comfortable with that personnel.  They haven't had nearly any success this year with different personnel except in the red zone.  They ran 38 out of 40 plays in 11 personnel in the 2nd half against the Fins where they scored 23 points and abandoned the 4 WR set.  They scored 31 points against the Titans with over 90% of their plays in 11 personnel.  I guess Daboll just thought it would work eventually.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just shows me Josh and the offense feels most comfortable with that personnel.  They haven't had nearly any success this year with different personnel except in the red zone.  They ran 38 out of 40 plays in 11 personnel in the 2nd half against the Fins where they scored 23 points and abandoned the 4 WR set.  They scored 31 points against the Titans with over 90% of their plays in 11 personnel.  I guess Daboll just thought it would work eventually.

This is exactly right as for why to run 11. 
What is concerning is the lack of points scored from it in the Jax game. Not sure bringing in an extra TE will do much at this point unless you can run multiple plays from it. This oline needs the benefit of the d not knowing what’s coming. It seems if the D can anticipate a run by the Bills, it gets stoped for little to no gain. This oline isn’t physical enough to maul and they appear to be struggling with assignments in zone. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given the struggles in run blocking and pass protection, one might think a little (2,1) with Gilliam as a HB or (1,2) with an extra OL blocking would not be amiss

It's almost as though at times Daboll doesn't even have those plays in the gameplan for the week.

I don't really find it that weird. The Bills ran 11 personnel something like 75% of the time last year. It's their bread and butter personnel wise and what they should be doing. I guess it's weird that it was every single play but it's their strength on offense. They did run 11 with an extra OL instead of TE on a couple occasions.. which didn't work, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 2

Dabolls entire offense has been weird this year.  One of my favorite things about his offense in the past was the ability to give different looks out of the same play setup.  The jet sweep to Mckenzie had multiple variations.

Now it seems like they have one look on passing downs and one on running downs.   Its been very bland.   

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills have tried to be stubborn with the running game this year, even when it's not been working. I think the reason they didn't in this game was actually complete disrespect for the Jags.

It was as though they were thinking, this is the JAGS for Christ's sake, eventually we'll hit them for the 1 big play we need in order to win, because they sure as ***** arn't getting a TD on us.

I don't think we'll see them do that again, so in that respect the loss probably did them some good

Interesting: I think it shows the utter lack of preparation for that game. Which also factored into the lack of late game adjustments. It’s like when you thought a test was going to be easy so you blew off studying the night before and ended up sitting there staring at the exam wondering ‘when did we learn this’? Pathetic performance by a professional football team vying for a championship.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dabolls entire offense has been weird this year.  One of my favorite things about his offense in the past was the ability to give different looks out of the same play setup.  The jet sweep to Mckenzie had multiple variations.

Now it seems like they have one look on passing downs and one on running downs.   Its been very bland.   

Are they saving the good stuff for the stretch run and playoffs??  Maybe they felt this game was winnable just showing basic packages.  If so, we outsmarted ourselves.  Go Bills!!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't we have a QB named Thad Brown once?  (Or something like that?)

I do think part of issue is who is injured- we only at most 5 good lineman and one decent blocking tight end- making it difficult to get people on the field to help move the ball. I am little surprised they did not bring in Gilliam to help out in the backfield but maybe he is less of a blocker than I realize.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.