Chris Simms on Bills loss

HappyDays

Starts at 34:40, if I linked this right it should start right at that point. It goes on for about 8 minutes.

To summarize his thoughts:

1) The Bills offense hasn't really been clicking all year, the stats that say otherwise are misleading.

2) 47 pass attempts to only 9 rushing attempts from the RBs is game mismanagement in a tight defensive struggle. Since we don't run the ball at all we're too easy to game plan against. He thinks we should at least attempt to run the ball more to give defenses something else to think about. The co-host points out our 3 highest pass attempt games this year are also our 3 losses and all of them stayed within one score pretty much the entire way through.

3) Allen tried to do too much to overcome the offensive struggles all on his own. We could have won something like 15-9 if he didn't revert to old tendencies.

4) Diggs is the only true game changer on offense (other than Allen) and defenses have figured out how to stop him from taking over the game. He doesn't mention it in this video but he has advocated for the Bills signing Odell Beckham Jr to add another game changing type of talent.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Starts at 34:40, if I linked this right it should start right at that point. It goes on for about 8 minutes.

1) The Bills offense hasn't really been clicking all year, the stats that say otherwise are misleading.

2) 47 pass attempts to only 9 rushing attempts from the RBs is game mismanagement in a tight defensive struggle. Since we don't run the ball at all we're too easy to game plan against. He thinks we should at least attempt to run the ball more to give defenses something else to think about. The co-host points out our 3 highest pass attempt games this year are also our 3 losses and all of them stayed within one score pretty much the entire way through.

3) Allen tried to do too much to overcome the offensive struggles all on his own. We could have won something like 15-9 if he didn't revert to old tendencies.

4) Diggs is the only true game changer on offense (other than Allen) and defenses have figured out how to stop him from taking over the game. He doesn't mention it in this video but he has advocated for the Bills signing Odell Beckham Jr to add another game changing type of talent.

I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to OBJ, I hate him, but he’s somebody the Defense has to respect.  You can’t double everyone, so pick your poison w OBJ, Diggs, Sanders, Beas, and hopefully Knox getting back soon.  If you can’t run, ya damn well better figure out how to pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

This is why the emergence of Knox is a huge deal.  The extra attention paid to the WRs he's been exploiting and exploiting for some nice splash plays.    

I will sign up for Sanders might be a bit gassed.  Davis needs more snaps and maybe it's time to activate Stevenson to see about adding more speed - I'm betting that's the idea later in the season.   

And Beasley being hurt is not optimal.   

There is an easy solution.  

Stop trying to score 45 points and focus on efficiency.  The D is legit this year.  It's ok to win 24-10.    

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yup…. I said this team has two difference maker on offence and maybe one on defence with White.  That is not going to win you a Super Bowl,  too many role players that Beane overpaid. They need to at least try elevating RB Williams from the practice squad ,  still loads of season to go to get something going with the running.  Just talking about getting better and using same RB'S is not getting it done

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to OBJ, I hate him, but he’s somebody the Defense has to respect.  You can’t double everyone, so pick your poison w OBJ, Diggs, Sanders, Beas, and hopefully Knox getting back soon.  If you can’t run, ya damn well better figure out how to pass.

I would sign him and bring up Williams,  our defence is not great but I do believe they are much better than last season because they are getting mass turnovers.  Problem is fixing offence

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

What are we 25th in line to have a shot at him? You think he’ll make it that far?

19 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Desean Jackson either. Many keep speaking up Stevenson, but we need experience at this point in time. Jackson/OBJ on the field with Diggs will scare the bejeezus out of defenses

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How can anybody watch that game and say 17 was not the problem boggles my mind.

He refuses to hit the quick underneath and have 2nd or 3rd n short and has to look intermediate or deep n it's been 2nd or 3rd n long usually.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

Simms is kind of right… We actually have 3 difference makers on Offense in Allen, Diggs and Knox.   Sanders and Beasley are nice complimentary pieces, but if we can’t run the ball, that’s not enough…. We’re essentially missing that 3rd option (outside QB) that teams need to game-plan against. 

You’re seeing it in KC, and they have THE best WR/TE duo in football for Mahomes.  As rough as Mahomes has looked, now imagine him without Kelce - and that’s been us the past two weeks.  

I truly believe Allen is better than Mahomes, and can overcome enough to at least win us games with this dumpster fire OL/no running game whereas KC’s season should be on life support if Rodgers didn’t catch covid.  But we aren’t going anywhere without either A) This line/running game getting fixed or B) Giving Allen another defense occupying threat.   

Beckham is absolutely worth it IMO.  If it doesn’t work, whatever, we’re right where we are now… but if it does, the reward far outweighs the risk both this season and in having a guy we can re-sign for the next 3 years opposite Diggs.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

ODJ is not what the Bills need.  Not unless he kicks ass as Guard

Pete, we may have to get by with what we got this season and hope Brown/Feliciano get back soon. Besides line play, we are missing another threat offensively opposite Diggs. The deep ball threat is missing and if OBJ/Jackson can provide that for the rest of season I'll be okay with it. Hell, if Smoke can still scare defenses deep.... 

Some questions...

Simms said.. "the Bills talent is not that great.. there is no game changers other than Diggs and Diggs is not that much of a game changer compared to other top receivers" ...

Do we agree with this? Certainly wasnt the case last year.. he was great.. and what I would call a game changer.. now is it the same this year ? No.. but what are the reasons for this? Its too simple to say that "he has been figured out"...

Simms said.. "' they dont run the football.. they dont even try"...

Yes this is right.. because when they try they lose yards... so should they keep doing something that is not working?

At least bring Antonio Williams and try something different ...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Desean Jackson either. Many keep speaking up Stevenson, but we need experience at this point in time. Jackson/OBJ on the field with Diggs will scare the bejeezus out of defenses

Jackson is a Raider now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Some questions...

Simms said.. "the Bills talent is not that great.. there is no game changers other than Diggs and Diggs is not that much of a game changer compared to other top receivers" ...

Do we agree with this? Certainly wasnt the case last year.. he was great.. and what I would call a game changer.. now is it the same this year ? No.. but what are the reasons for this? Its too simple to say that "he has been figured out"...

Simms said.. "' they dont run the football.. they dont even try"...

Yes this is right.. because when they try they lose yards... so should they keep doing something that is not working?

At least bring Antonio Williams and try something different ...

I think the playmaker stuff is nonsense. It’s just easy to say when struggles come our way. Diggs is one of the better number ones, Beasley had elite slot numbers last season, and Sanders is a very respectable number two. That’s not even taking Knox or Davis into consideration. I’m having trouble thinking of too many teams with more play making depth at the receiver position. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If you can’t protect JA it won’t matter who you’re throwing to!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.