Chris Simms on Bills loss

HappyDays

47 minutes ago, Success said:

As to the first part - I do NOT agree that Diggs is the only game changer.  I was thrilled about our WR corps heading into the season. Very few teams have 2 guys with elite talent like Diggs - but Sanders, Beasley and Davis are all capable of big plays & games (as well as Knox when healthy).

Davis has been a bit of an enigma to me.  It felt like he was breaking out last year, and I thought he'd take that next step this year.  I would love to see him get more involved.

The run game is tough, though. We don't have a mix of backs - they're all basically the same in terms of skillset and potential.  They're all # 2's.

All of our WR's are not physical mismatches. 

With Ja'Marr Chase you have the speed, Debo Samuel, DK Metcalf and AJ Brown are huge hulking WRs, Hill with blazing speed, Hopkins with body control, Adams is a combination route runner. 

Diggs is a precision route runner, but I agree with Simms, he isn't imposing in terms of speed or size. Sanders and Beasley are Pro's, but we don't have size or take the top off speed with any WR. 

Knox and his 4.59 speed at his size is clearly our biggest physical mismatch. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree,  Milano is solid must not in pro bowl level.  Where we really missed on is some of the free agent signing that Beane spent good money and got little back in return. Star/Addision/Klein/Morse were given good size deals and really have not offered much.  Even though i am not happy with the roster right now,  i know it's always easier to fix when you have pro bowl level QB who is only 25.  We just need to hit on some picks because guys like Singletary/Ford look like busts and then get lucky signing some free agents who contribute.  The foundation is there,  add a couple more difference makers,  maybe each on one side of the ball. 

End of the day the Bills finally GOT THE QB and that is the toughest to get

100% agree. If I were to say what is the Bills core through 2025 it would be this:

Offense:

Allen
Diggs

Davis (for now)

Knox

Dawkins

Brown

Defense:

Oliver

Groot

Edmunds

Milano

White

T. Johnson

Pretty solid core but you can see if they can get just one more true stud it would do wonders to the strength of this group. Get two or three more great guys and the sky is the limit.

Furthermore, this is why there was an undercurrent for drafting another WR in the first round last year, or at least second round. 

Always add to a strength. 

The Chiefs are finding this out. 

If Kelce loses a step, or Hill gets banged up, they have no established 3rd target on that offense. 

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Starts at 34:40, if I linked this right it should start right at that point. It goes on for about 8 minutes.

To summarize his thoughts:

1) The Bills offense hasn't really been clicking all year, the stats that say otherwise are misleading.

2) 47 pass attempts to only 9 rushing attempts from the RBs is game mismanagement in a tight defensive struggle. Since we don't run the ball at all we're too easy to game plan against. He thinks we should at least attempt to run the ball more to give defenses something else to think about. The co-host points out our 3 highest pass attempt games this year are also our 3 losses and all of them stayed within one score pretty much the entire way through.

3) Allen tried to do too much to overcome the offensive struggles all on his own. We could have won something like 15-9 if he didn't revert to old tendencies.

4) Diggs is the only true game changer on offense (other than Allen) and defenses have figured out how to stop him from taking over the game. He doesn't mention it in this video but he has advocated for the Bills signing Odell Beckham Jr to add another game changing type of talent.

Regarding Simms thoughts:

1) Agree, Allen and the offense have had moments but it still feels nothing like last year especially the redzone struggles.

2) The problem with this though is our oline is terrible and even when we try to commit to running plays are blown up in the backfield or our RB's fight for a 2 or 3 yard gain. This coaching staff knows it's simply a waste of a down to run the ball but that of course is playing right into opposing defenses handds.

3) Probably true but again with no threat to run the ball and an oline that can't run or pass block it was expected a game like this was coming, and probably much worse in the weeks to come.

4) We aren't going after OBD but it's been true for awhile that Diggs is the only game changer. Still not sure about Knox and Sanders isn't a game changer at this point of his career. I think next year finding another playmaker will be a priority but going to be awful tough with what limited cap space will be available and needing to prioritize the oline first.

The most interesting bit is that the three most pass heavy games have all resulted in losses.

No matter how good your QB is, having him sling it 40+ times a game is just not a recipe for success.

Regardless of how inept our run game is, I agree with the assertion that the offense needs to stick with the run a bit more. Whenever they go pass-wild this year, they lose.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, Big Blitz said:

This is why the emergence of Knox is a huge deal.  The extra attention paid to the WRs he's been exploiting and exploiting for some nice splash plays.    

I will sign up for Sanders might be a bit gassed.  Davis needs more snaps and maybe it's time to activate Stevenson to see about adding more speed - I'm betting that's the idea later in the season.   

And Beasley being hurt is not optimal.   

There is an easy solution.  

Stop trying to score 45 points and focus on efficiency.  The D is legit this year.  It's ok to win 24-10.    

Could activate Stevenson and let him return kicks bringing McKenzie and jet sweeps back into the game plan.  The lack of motion is allowing defenses to settle on coverage pre snap

On 11/8/2021 at 5:33 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Some questions...

Simms said.. "the Bills talent is not that great.. there is no game changers other than Diggs and Diggs is not that much of a game changer compared to other top receivers" ...

Do we agree with this? Certainly wasnt the case last year.. he was great.. and what I would call a game changer.. now is it the same this year ? No.. but what are the reasons for this? Its too simple to say that "he has been figured out"...

Simms said.. "' they dont run the football.. they dont even try"...

Yes this is right.. because when they try they lose yards... so should they keep doing something that is not working?

At least bring Antonio Williams and try something different ...

I agree on Williams.  I want to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt but they seemed to handle Yeldon the same way.  Every time he played, he ran hard, showed some moves and speed and was good as a receiver out of the backfield. Instead they keep running out guys like these schmos.

Williams doesn’t have much of a resume but when he played in the last regular season game of last season, like Yeldon, he ran hard and was very productive.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest thing I took away from the game that he brought up was the 47 pass attempts vs 9 rushes. I feel like they tried to use the short pass game as the run too much. So the 9 rushing attempts might only be that but they tried to supplement with Beasley. His ypc will show that. When you have run-pro and pass-pro problems you go with the stronger of the 2 games I guess.  OBJ would have the biggest impact because I dont know that we get better production out of any linemen we can sign off the FA list.

C'mon guys, now we need to fix the receiving core because they are not imposing enough?

Diggs led the NFL in receptions and yards last season! The 2020 Buffalo Bills offense was #2 in points, #2 in yards so the #2 overall offense. #3 in yards passing, #3 in passing TDs.

So, what's changed for this year? The opposing defenses running a cover 2 shell that suddenly the Bills can't throw against? Also, the offensive line at almost every position stink now? Both tackles, both guards were abused against the jags...the 28th ranked defense!! 

It's clear to me, give Josh Allen the time in the pocket and he will rip opponents a new one!

The Bills traded away their best OG since Richie Incognito in Wyatt Teller so someone doesn't know the difference between a solid OG and below average.

The O line is the biggest concern, not the QB, not the WRs, not the RB's. So either fix the line or call plays that mask the deficiencies in the line. The Bills had one of their worst ever lines under Chan Gailey in 2010* and Chan/Fitz adjusted. Quick slants, outs to Stevie Johnson. Spiller running out of the spread-shotgun because once he got by someone it was a race.  

Jeez Daboll, figure it out!! 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, Big Blitz said:

It's ok to win 24-10.

It's even o.k. to win 12-9

Funny how everything people said about Mahomes and the Chiefs offense a couple weeks ago now applies to Allen and our offense. Defenses adjust! The big play based offenses are struggling. Offenses need to adjust too.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Logic said:

The most interesting bit is that the three most pass heavy games have all resulted in losses.

No matter how good your QB is, having him sling it 40+ times a game is just not a recipe for success.

Regardless of how inept our run game is, I agree with the assertion that the offense needs to stick with the run a bit more. Whenever they go pass-wild this year, they lose.

Agree.  And BTW most running backs need some touches to get a rhythm.  Look at henry, shady or even Thurman.   1 yard 2 yards 1 yard 15 yards 5 yards 30 yards.  

You need a chance to get into a run blocking and running rhythm and daboll is too impatient. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, Niagara Dude said:

I agree,  Milano is solid must not in pro bowl level.  Where we really missed on is some of the free agent signing that Beane spent good money and got little back in return. Star/Addision/Klein/Morse were given good size deals and really have not offered much.  Even though i am not happy with the roster right now,  i know it's always easier to fix when you have pro bowl level QB who is only 25.  We just need to hit on some picks because guys like Singletary/Ford look like busts and then get lucky signing some free agents who contribute.  The foundation is there,  add a couple more difference makers,  maybe each on one side of the ball. 

End of the day the Bills finally GOT THE QB and that is the toughest to get

I think we're kidding ourselves.  NE is going to take the East back.  They are more complete and Jones improves week by week.  If they beat TN next week you'll see my concern.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Stevenson or Mckenzie out of the backfield several times a game. Not to run the rock but make LBs stay slightly more honest, right now swings and dumpoffs to moss or Singletary are not dangerous because a single LB can run them down from behind. But with Mckenzie or stevenson a defense can get smoked on a blitz with a simple quick dump off. I know its a package that would be pretty obvious to the defense on what we want to do but it's still makes the defense have to make a decision, risk a blitz and possibly get burned or drop back and a little less pressure on josh. But we need to do something cuz its obvious no defenses fear moss or Singletary in the passing game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.