Chris Simms on Bills loss

HappyDays

I like Simms but he is simply not up to speed with all the facts.

He did not mention the O-line ONCE in that diatribe...the problem is not the lack of "game changing" WR's, he failed to mention that Knox is injured and it wouldn't matter a jot if we had prime Thurman as one of our RB's as you can not have a respectable run game behind that O-line. And Josh's mistakes were incorrectly identified as a root cause, rather than a symptom of our offensive struggles.

Simms is usually a better analyst than this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Simms said.. "' they dont run the football.. they dont even try"...

Yes this is right.. because when they try they lose yards... so should they keep doing something that is not working?

So I agree running the ball more is not a solution. To an outside observer they see 47 pass attempts to 9 RB runs in a game that ended 9-6 and it seems ridiculous on the face of it. Usually you see that kind of disparity when a team is getting blown out all game. It's just hard to run a successful offense when we are that one dimensional.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein said:

Since when is 3 game changers needed on offense to win?

That is an extremely rare luxury.

Yeah, as I’ve mentioned, our receivers stack up quite favorably in side by side comparisons to other WR corps. I can’t easily name many who are more talented. If someone can do so, feel free. 

• Like (+1) 3

It’s easy to dismiss Diggs as “not much of a game changer than these other receivers” if you’re a prisoner of the moment. He hasn’t been doing what he did last year because the targets haven’t been there. Josh hasn’t been specifically keying on him and throwing it there even when he’s covered. As a result Diggs has been too quiet, to the point McDermott suggested they “have to take a long, hard look at that.” Diggs is a playmaker and should be the first read almost every play. Get him the ball. 

Also, Josh’s three highest pass attempt games have all been Ls, but the spread offense is the same approach that mighty Patriots machine took when they were making a mockery of the league and embarrassing teams during that magical 18-1 season. I don’t remember them running that much and even when they were up 4+ TDs Brady was still in the game throwing bombs to the endzone. I don’t blame the number of pass attempts, I blame the execution. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

ODJ is not what the Bills need.  Not unless he kicks ass as Guard

This + 1000! Or tackle.

Both OGs and OTs were abused against the Jags as the only guy who played somewhat decent was Morse the center. 

I look at things differently though. I see it as game planning, play calling problem. 

Can't run the ball with the RBs, don't have time to throw the ball...yet, keep asking the QB to throw it? The QB ends up blaming himself and its the OC that hung him out to dry in my view. 

Find play calls that gets the ball out of the QB's hands in under 2 seconds. Run some misdirection run plays to wear the defense out. Jeez, Innovate!!

And yes, Stephon Diggs is a receiving "superstar" with a few others right behind him, Beas, Sanders are both pretty damn good at what they do too. Find ways to get Diggs the ball 10 plus times a game. 

29 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

He did not mention the O-line ONCE in that diatribe...the problem is not the lack of "game changing" WR's, he failed to mention that Knox is injured

Yeah he didn't give the offensive line enough attention. He briefly mentioned that it didn't play particularly well in this game but most of us have identified it as the #1 problem against the Jaguars.

I listen to Simms break down every game every week and the things he talks about in this breakdown he has been talking about all season. He has been saying since the first Dolphins game that the Bills offense is not clicking, that we're riding Josh Allen too hard, that we lack game changing skill players. So I think he saw this game as the culmination of everything he's been talking about and decided to focus on that. All of the offense's flaws this year came to a head yesterday.

He doesn't just mean game changing WRs, he means game changing talent including RB and TE. I don't know if I would quite put Knox at that level yet but he was getting there before the injury. This statistic is telling:

It is likely that when Knox comes back our offense won't have any complete duds like we did against the Jaguars.

But I think we can all agree something about this offense has been off all year, even when Knox was playing. It has not been performing at the same level as last year despite returning almost the same exact roster. I don't know if Simms is right that adding Beckham would get us back there. I do think it's worth exploring.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Some questions...

Simms said.. "the Bills talent is not that great.. there is no game changers other than Diggs and Diggs is not that much of a game changer compared to other top receivers" ...

Do we agree with this? Certainly wasnt the case last year.. he was great.. and what I would call a game changer.. now is it the same this year ? No.. but what are the reasons for this? Its too simple to say that "he has been figured out"...

Simms said.. "' they dont run the football.. they dont even try"...

Yes this is right.. because when they try they lose yards... so should they keep doing something that is not working?

At least bring Antonio Williams and try something different ...

Yeah, I agree completely.  Diggs is not a game breaker, nobody fears him.  He can get open and make catches, but he doesn’t strike fear in you like a Hill, etc. He’s not physically scary.  Last year he got a load of catches, but his average was pathetic as a “game changer”.  

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to OBJ, I hate him, but he’s somebody the Defense has to respect.  You can’t double everyone, so pick your poison w OBJ, Diggs, Sanders, Beas, and hopefully Knox getting back soon.  If you can’t run, ya damn well better figure out how to pass.

Just one little problem. The OL has regressed so badly that we can't run 4 we sets anymore. I too wouldn't be opposed to OBJ considering how little we use Davis lately. Beane won't do it.

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

If you can’t protect JA it won’t matter who you’re throwing to!

Exactly....right now this team has a catastrophic OL issue. I don't think anyone on our depth or PS could jump in and have an impact. As Chris Simms accurately said the Bills have completely given up on the running game. The Bills are 0-3 when Josh has 40 or more attempts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen has improved way more than I ever thought he would. He is now one of the better QB’s in the league. He’s elite, but elite at what he does. 

Allens next step has got to be learning how to change his style to the game he’s playing. If Allen wants to have some longevity and be the player we think he can be, he’ll have to learn to move the defense better with his eyes. And he has to get the ball out quicker. He holds on to the ball longer than almost every QB in the league. 

Lots of problems with the offense right now. I have some issue with Beane and Daboll, but Allen belongs in that conversation too. 

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

How can anybody watch that game and say 17 was not the problem boggles my mind.

He refuses to hit the quick underneath and have 2nd or 3rd n short and has to look intermediate or deep n it's been 2nd or 3rd n long usually.  

How can anybody watch that game say that he didn't take the quick underneath stuff? He threw 26 attempts (55%) within 5 yards of the LOS and 35 attempts (74%) within 10 yards.

pass chart.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Mango said:

Allen has improved way more than I ever thought he would. He is now one of the better QB’s in the league. He’s elite, but elite at what he does. 

Allens next step has got to be learning how to change his style to the game he’s playing. If Allen wants to have some longevity and be the player we think he can be, he’ll have to learn to move the defense better with his eyes. And he has to get the ball out quicker. He holds on to the ball longer than almost every QB in the league. 

Lots of problems with the offense right now. I have some issue with Beane and Daboll, but Allen belongs in that conversation too. 

Lots of truth here. I heard the announcers say yesterday Allen is at the top of the league in passes batted at the LOS and it’s because the lineman are just following his eyes. He’s staring down receivers and doesn’t seem like he’s looking them off as often as he did last year. All reports out of camp were that Allen was red hot, unstoppable. Hopefully we’re just witnessing the calm before the storm before he comes back and starts tearing **** up. It’s hard to sustain greatness and I’d rather he’s hot at the end of the year than the 1st half. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

He refuses to hit the quick underneath and have 2nd or 3rd n short and has to look intermediate or deep n it's been 2nd or 3rd n long usually.  

Blaming Josh Allen, after our 17 year drought, is unthinkable to me. You have to be 8 years old or literally blind to think he's a problem with this team.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

These stats imply otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

4F34BF2F-5B4E-4501-89B3-8E6F1335D252.jpeg

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, I agree completely.  Diggs is not a game breaker, nobody fears him.  He can get open and make catches, but he doesn’t strike fear in you like a Hill, etc. He’s not physically scary.  Last year he got a load of catches, but his average was pathetic as a “game changer”.  

This is a hard truth that people around here don’t want to face.  The player they could have drafted with that pick, on the other hand…

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.