I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Their lack of offensive weapons is a real weakness. Even if Mac Jones had less limitations they would have trouble moving the ball through the air consistently. They weren't able to do it even in Brady's last year. They are hiding that flaw with a good running game and very good defense. As Bills fans we know as well as anyone that you can't hide a middling passing offense forever. And they have basically no upside there. For teams like the Bills and Chiefs the passing offense hasn't been elite this year but you know any week it could all come together and explode. The Pats are stuck with what they have. I would compare them to the 2017 Bills. With good coaching and game planning we drew better teams into a dogfight they didn't expect; this formula managed to sneak us into the playoffs but ultimately we were never a real contender.

Harris is an incredible RB way better than anything we have and Bourne is a fantastic WR. They also have 2 Tight ends that are as good as Knox is.

13 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Harris is an incredible RB way better than anything we have and Bourne is a fantastic WR. They also have 2 Tight ends that are as good as Knox is.

I don't know why there are so many people on this board that act like homers for other teams. No one is scared of the Patriots weapons. I'm not even going to debate that. Their defense is legitimately very good and their offensive line plus great coaching have made their offense good enough to get by with.

I'm definitely not worried about Mac Jones right now (this season). He's playing very well, but he's a rookie. The Pats as a whole though, yeah, there is a little bit of nervousness about them (mostly based on Belichick and bad memories of their past dominance over us).

But, there is no question that the Bills are the more talented team and not just a team with talent, but a tight-knit, well-coached team, all pulling in the same direction. Can the Pats beat the Bills? Sure, it's the NFL---a week-to-week league. But if we played the Pats 10 times, I think Buffalo wins 7 or 8 out of 10 at this point.

I don't think Bills fans can use last year as any example that the tides have finally turned completely over though, as it was the first year without Brady, an old,  beat-up QB, and lots of injuries and COVID opt outs for the Pats. What happened last year has nothing to do with this year.

But I also don't think Pats fans can use schedule or who each team has beaten as any measure of being superior to the Bills. Neither team has been tested much yet and the majority of both teams' wins came against easy opponents (either because the teams were bad, rookie QBs,  or reeling, missing key players when they played them). Too many factors to claim either the Bills or Pats have an edge in schedule. The AFC East just had an easy schedule overall, based on the other divisions we had to play.

I do expect the Pats games to be tough though. They aren't going to roll over by any means. It's basically one game at a time at this point. But as a Bills fan, I really look to the next 3 weeks as giving us a clearer picture, and if the Bills take care of business, they should be sitting pretty.

If we beat the Colts this weekend (which could be a tough game), then take care of business against Siemien and the Saints on Thanksgiving, we will enter the MNF game against the Pats at 8-3. The Pats have to play Tennessee next week. I think they will lose to the Titans. Which would put them at 7-5 entering MNF. We should be favored to win at home in Primetime. Our boys get up for PrimeTime games, it's at home with the fans, and on 10 days rest. So, I think we should take that one. Which would set the records at 9-3 Bills, 7-6 Pats. That would basically be a 3 game lead for the division (with the Bills having the tie-breaker at that point) and the Pats would only have 4 games left to make that up. So, even if the Pats won out (including the rematch with Buffalo) to be 11-6, that means the Bills would need to lose 4 of their last 5 games...or 3 of their last 5 if the Jets was one of the losses. So, that means we would need to lose to the Jets, NE, and either TB/Car/Atl. Or lose to NE, TB, Carolina, and Atlanta (all 4 of them). (We would still have the division record tie-breaker if both teams end up with 11 wins and split their two games---unless the Bills lose to the Jets on the last regular season game.)

So, if the Bills just take care of business the next 3 weeks, the Pats shouldn't be a problem. But let's go get the Colts first!

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The longest pass charted in the Cowboys game is 30 yds, just FYI.  There's nothing wrong with that, just a fact.

That’s also wrong, the last TD pass right after the pick 6 was 50 yards in the air it went for a total 75. Why I don’t like these “charts” when you watch they don’t pass they eye test. For example some talking head up hear said Jones was 0-2 for any pass over 10 yards.. that was wrong. (As you know he had a couple nice throws of 17 yards) but I bet he meant over 20 yards.

50 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

I’m guessing this is just a sad, stale attempt at trolling, but I’ll take the bait. Harris is averaging almost a yard less per carry than Singletary. Bourne has never had more than 50 receptions or 670 yards in a season. Knox will turn out to be a MUCH better TE than Henry and Smith. The talent gap between Knox and the NE TEs is huge. 

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That’s also wrong, the last TD pass right after the pick 6 was 50 yards in the air it went for a total 75. Why I don’t like these “charts” when you watch they don’t pass they eye test. For example some talking head up hear said Jones was 0-2 for any pass over 10 yards.. that was wrong. (As you know he had a couple nice throws of 17 yards) but I bet he meant over 20 yards.

I'll let you argue with the official NFL record keepers 🙄.  Write them a strongly-worded letter.

I usually mute commentary and only unmute to hear what penalty has been called, since I usually can't figure that out by watching :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I’m guessing this is just a sad, stale attempt at trolling, but I’ll take the bait. Harris is averaging almost a yard less per carry than Singletary. Bourne has never had more than 50 receptions or 670 yards in a season. Knox will turn out to be a MUCH better TE than Henry and Smith. The talent gap between Knox and the NE TEs is huge. 

A case where stats don’t show everything. Harris and Stevenson are like Bulls running they usually drag one or two people with them.  Anyone has eyes take them over singletary right now. While Knox MAY end up being a better TE than Henry, he is not right now.  As for Bourne he has 562 yards right now with 15.2 yards a reception.. I dare say he will eclipse that number easily. 

All that said Bills have the more experienced and right now Better QB, definitely a better WR core.  The Pats have a better O line and RB, and D is a crap shoot both are damn good period! In other words should be a great games!

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll let you argue with the official NFL record keepers 🙄.  Write them a strongly-worded letter.

I usually mute commentary and only unmute to hear what penalty has been called, since I usually can't figure that out by watching :devil:

Like I said I watch the games that throw was sweet on the money and deep.. and an amazing throw after throwing a pick 6 literally the play before.  (Especially for a rookie QB) Romo even said it was 50 in the air lol.. Romo can’t be wrong. 

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

A case where stats don’t show everything. Harris and Stevenson are like Bulls running they usually drag one or two people with them.  

Harris has the 32nd best yards per carry (Singletary is 12th) this season. Perhaps he should try to avoid tacklers instead of dragging them? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Harris has the 32nd best yards per carry (Singletary is 12th) this season. Perhaps he should try to avoid tacklers instead of dragging them? 

Are you seriously comparing a RB who has 80 carries to one that has 143?  One has over 609 yards the other is below 400?  Maybe look at the real stats instead of cherry picking ones makes you seem smart.. hell Stevenson has 67 carries with 305 yards and he hasn’t even played the entire season!!  So again the Pats RB are better than the Bills RB. 

32 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Edited by PatsFanNH

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Are you seriously comparing a RB who has 80 carries to one that has 143?  One has over 609 yards the other is below 400?  Maybe look at the real stats instead of cherry picking ones makes you seem smart.. hell Stevenson has 67 carries with 305 yards and he hasn’t even played the entire season!!  So again the Pats RB are better than the Bills RB. 

How dare I use such an obscure stat such as yards per carry!  

Are you really trying to claim that YPC isn’t a “real stat”? 

*Stevenson is averaging 4.6 ypc vs Singletary’s 5.0, so he is not as far behind as Harris. 

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

How dare I use such an obscure stat such as yards per carry!  

Are you really trying to claim that YPC isn’t a “real stat”? 

It isn’t when the people your comparing in rushing attempts are 12  and 35! It’s a dumb stat for people like you think your RB good when he isn’t. If he was “good” your team would run more instead of  averaging less than 9 carries a game. That’s a pathetic amount of attempts.  While the other is over 14 a game including games he missed. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

All that said Bills have the more experienced and right now Better QB, definitely a better WR core.  The Pats have a better O line and RB, and D is a crap shoot both are damn good period! In other words should be a great games!

Like I said I watch the games that throw was sweet on the money and deep.. and an amazing throw after throwing a pick 6 literally the play before.  (Especially for a rookie QB) Romo even said it was 50 in the air lol.. Romo can’t be wrong. 

I literally just rewatched it.. it wasn’t 50 yards.  He throws from the 17 yard line, it’s caught at the Cowboys 46. That’s 37 yards in the air. 30 yards, statistically. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It isn’t when the people your comparing in rushing attempts are 12  and 35! It’s a dumb stat for people like you think your RB good when he isn’t. If he was “good” your team would run more instead of  averaging less than 9 carries a game. That’s a pathetic amount of attempts.  While the other is over 14 a game including games he missed. 

Stats that don’t fit your narrative are dumb?  

I guess I’m just not as smart as the guy claiming the number of rushing attempts is the best way to rank RBs regardless of how many yards they get per rush. 

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I literally just rewatched it.. it wasn’t 50 yards.  He throws from the 17 yard line, it’s caught at the Cowboys 46. That’s 37 yards in the air. 30 yards, statistically. 

I’ll believe you it looked deeper than that but was an amazing pass for a rookie coming right off a pick 6. I was shocked he went right after Diggs again.

10 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Stats that don’t fit your narrative are dumb?  

I guess I’m just not as smart as the guy claiming the number of rushing attempts is the best way to rank RBs regardless of how many yards they get per rush. 

Rushing attempts means something buddy. Just like total number of yards. YPC a cute useless stat when your talking about someone who runs it less than their own QB each game.  It also fails take in any sort of situations.. like say 3rd and 1 and he had to bulldoze threw a line of 10 to get there.. it counts as a 2 yard carry but it was bigger than say someone getting a 8 yard gain on 3rd and 15. YPC is a terrible stat. 

I just watched the highlight of that play.  The LoS was the Pats 25.  The ball was caught right around the Cowboys 45.  So the chart is accurate 30 yards.  However, he did drop back about 10 yards so it would be about 40 air yards.  The charts go from the LoS though.  Not from where the QB is when he throws it.

36 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would say the Pats o line is better.  Hard to gauge RBs when the line cant open a hole for them.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I would say the Pats o line is better.  Hard to gauge RBs when the line cant open a hole for them.

I agree OLine matters for RB.  It’s also hard for an Oline to get good at run blocking when you don’t call many run plays. For an example against the Jags they ran 9 times and the game was always close.. it seems silly! Also dangerous be that one dimensional on O. I know you have a great QB and WR but sooner or later that lack of running will bite you in the butt.  

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Totally disagree with your comment on NE TE's.  Both of those guys are studs and Knox is long on potential.  

I agree OLine matters for RB.  It’s also hard for an Oline to get good at run blocking when you don’t call many run plays. For an example against the Jags they ran 9 times and the game was always close.. it seems silly! Also dangerous be that one dimensional on O. I know you have a great QB and WR but sooner or later that lack of running will bite you in the butt.  

It bit us last year.  I dont want to be as running as your team but most think we should run a bit more than we do.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

It bit us last year.  I dont want to be as running as your team but most think we should run a bit more than we do.

I agree! But for a rookie the Pats O is perfect for.What the Bills need is a run game to keep teams honest.  You don’t want elite pass rushers just reading back and attacking. (Judon will feast in the backfield for example if he didn’t have stay honest for the run. IMO of course)

51 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I agree! But for a rookie the Pats O is perfect for.What the Bills need is a run game to keep teams honest.  You don’t want elite pass rushers just reading back and attacking. (Judon will feast in the backfield for example if he didn’t have stay honest for the run. IMO of course)

How do you think ol' Mac is gonna do when he has to play from down a few scores?

The Pats have a good O-line & run game, and a great D.  That's awesome while they're leading games.

1 hour ago, Success said:

How do you think ol' Mac is gonna do when he has to play from down a few scores?

The Pats have a good O-line & run game, and a great D.  That's awesome while they're leading games.

Well that’s the point. They built the team to allow him to grow. It’s the only comparison I have for this team and the 2001 team. A great D, a strong run game, and a smart QB who doesn’t make those critical mistakes.

The one time this year they were down by more than a TD he led the O down and got them to within 8 with like 10 minutes to go, and the D just allowed the Saints March for 8 minutes and a score.. so the One time he did well and the D let him down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.