Disappointed in Tommy Sweeney

John from Riverside

I really thought that if he got the opportunity he would end up being a good player for us on a safety valve for Josh Allen I also thought that he would be a better blocker what are you showing to be I knew that Dawson Knox was better and had evolved into a better player but I thought Sweeney was an unfounded gem

Disappointed there

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Josh had no time to pass the ball. I’m disappointed in the entire offensive line. Maybe if they could have blocked some bodies Sweeney would have had a few more targets

Edit: And also, he was a 7th round draft pick for a reason 

Edited by Brennan Huff
Meh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really thought that if he got the opportunity he would end up being a good player for us on a safety valve for Josh Allen I also thought that he would be a better blocker what are you showing to be I knew that Dawson Knox was better and had evolved into a better player but I thought Sweeney was an unfounded gem

Disappointed there

What did you ever see from Sweeney that made you think he’d ever be anything but a below replacement-level player? 

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

What did you ever see from Sweeney that made you think he’d ever be anything but a below replacement-level player? 

To me he showed the nackto get open and he had good hands

But an even bigger part of the problem is that I thought he was a better blocker than what he was

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo always roots for the underdog 

Unfortunately, he's slow , not a great blocker and not a threat after the catch 

He seems like a nice guy but a borderline TE3 in the NFL

Agree. He doesn't add much to the Bills offense. Huge downgrade from Knox.

I mean he is a former 7th round pick. There was no reason to expect him to be more than what he is.... which is a marginal NFL payer. They are definitely missing Knox because he is part of their counter to the 2 deep shell. But there are bigger problems than who is playing tight end too

One way to help a struggling OL is with TE play.  

Im not disappointed in Sweeney because he’s just not good.  I’m more disappointed we didn’t make a move for Ertz.  We couldn’t foresee Knox getting hurt, but we could foresee the OL continue to have struggles and potential injuries.  

Would've given us the option of legit 12 personnel and, without a doubt, we win that Jax game if Allen has competent TE play in Ertz.  That’s already one game lost that I absolutely feel we would’ve won with him.  

20 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well....since you asked someone else...I'll answer

As a rookie in 2019, he played in 6 games while both Kroft and Knox were hurt, and showed flashes in a couple of his early games.  In the final game vs. the Jets, he was basically much of the Bills passing offense 5 receptions for 76 yds.  He looked good.

This off-season, the Bills chose to keep Sweeney on the roster above Jake Hollister, who has actually played in the league 5 years and when given a chance on offense, looked competent, at least at the "replacement level"

So since the Bills chose to keep Sweeney above Hollister, the natural conclusion is that they saw Sweeney as a better player.

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

One way to help a struggling OL is with TE play.  

Im not disappointed in Sweeney because he’s just not good.  I’m more disappointed we didn’t make a move for Ertz.  We couldn’t foresee Knox getting hurt, but we could foresee the OL continue to have struggles and potential injuries.  

Would've given us the option of legit 12 personnel and, without a doubt, we win that Jax game if Allen has competent TE play in Ertz.  That’s already one game lost that I absolutely feel we would’ve won with him.  

My understanding of how Ertz is regarded around the league, is as a big heavy tough additional WR.  He's not the "complete package" as a blocking TE, thus not "legit 12 personnel"

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

What happened to Reggie Gilliam as a TE and FB?

Good question.  He got double-digit snaps weeks 2 through 5.  Since then, 🦗.  Active but 0 snaps yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Disappointed there

The guy has 23 career targets!  Has caught 9 of 10 this year.  Knox dropped 10 of his 1st 50 targets and he couldn't block a toilet with a roll of toilet paper.

Sheesh, give the boy a chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Disappointed there

A 7th rounder who is still in the league in three years is a surprise, can't call them a disappointment in any way.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.