The Edmunds Report - Week 5, Bills v. Chefs, 10/10/21

Freddie's Dead

13 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

Great breakdown again Freddie.

the only one I disagree with was the 9th drive TD to Kelce. We had 2 Bills covering a 4 receiver diamond. PM got that ball out so fast with the basketball pass that there was no way anyone was getting to it.

I would call it a great play call and zero adjustment by our D to get more bodies out there to at least give PM pause about shuffling the ball to Kelce.

They still scored.  I know they gonna get theys, but 49 is at the point of attack and needed to make a play.  As far as 0 adjustment on D, that's also 49's responsibility.  Dave Mason time 😛

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

Great breakdown again Freddie.

the only one I disagree with was the 9th drive TD to Kelce. We had 2 Bills covering a 4 receiver diamond. PM got that ball out so fast with the basketball pass that there was no way anyone was getting to it.

I would call it a great play call and zero adjustment by our D to get more bodies out there to at least give PM pause about shuffling the ball to Kelce.

Yep...well, 3 guys covering the 4 receivers. The only way to stop it would've been if someone on the defense recognized it and shifted the backfield to give the Bills a numbers advantage on that side. I feel like they did the right thing by standing up the blockers so that Kelce would be forced inside to Klein's gap.

But they were 1 yard out, so there was really no stopping it without a pre-snap adjustment.

If you can fault Edmunds for anything on that, I guess it's not making the adjustment. But I'm not sure if the Chiefs have put that particular play on tape. They do have an array of shovel pass plays at their disposal.

• Like (+1) 1

I am one of the Edmunds haterz. However, i never read this report, eye test for me only.  This is an incredible amount of effort and research put into this! I will keep an open mind from now on and look forward to reading this thread in the future. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good write up. Matches what I saw. Effective in coverage (more so in zone than when he was in man) - they have been playing man coverage more than I have seen this season than in past. Curious if others feel that way too.

Mahomes rarely challenged the middle and its reasonable to assume that was because of Edmunds.  Run defense instincts still seem very poor. Can't shed blockers well.  Could be a problem against run heavy teams like Cleveland, Tenn, or Dallas. But as others have pointed out the run defense has not been gashed since the KC regular season game last year.

For the record I'm not a Hater nor do I suspect most of the posters on here that offer reasonable criticism.  

Hope these past two games are the norm moving forward 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I was just thinking that "Predator" would be a good nickname for Edmunds.

FamousSplendidFlyinglemur-size_restricte

Freddie, they had pics of him on here a year  ago when they were looking at COVID helmets.  They put Edmunds on that thing with his hair and predator pose.  I agree though as he’s always in wait.  With you’re breakdowns you’re making it really hard for the haters to keep going back to days gone by of Butkus and Lewis.  The 2021 NFL wants an Edmunds prototype.  Look how he’s doing now that we have Star back so he can work to his strengths.

As always, nice write up bud.  Keep em coming.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We're going to quibble over where the hold occurred.  They both went to the ground at 15 yards upfield, but the hold happened before that.

Honest question: what's the logic of giving the penalized team 1st & 5? That feels like a reward. There may be something obvious I'm missing, but with the new set of downs, shouldn't they have further to go to make a 1st down. I get that they got the first down before the penalty, but why the "5"? I'd get 1st & 10 or 1st & 15 (at spot of foul, it's first down so 1st & 10 at that point and ref pushes back 5), but 1st & 5 makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Honest question: what's the logic of giving the penalized team 1st & 5? That feels like a reward. There may be something obvious I'm missing, but with the new set of downs, shouldn't they have further to go to make a 1st down. I get that they got the first down before the penalty, but why the "5"? I'd get 1st & 10 or 1st & 15 (at spot of foul, it's first down so 1st & 10 at that point and ref pushes back 5), but 1st & 5 makes no sense to me.

It is just the way it works.  It gets treated exactly the same way as every holding call.  

If it occurred at the LOS - it is 10 yards from the spot - so 1st and 20.

If the hold occurs 5 yards down field - it goes back 10 yards to 1st and 15.

So in this case it was 5 yards past the first down marker.  You go back 10 yards and now it is short of the first down by 5 yards. So it is 1st and 5.  It may seem like an advantage because it was first down, but imagine if it had 3rd down or 4th down. 

In that case rather than a first down - it would return to 3rd (or 4th) and 5 because with the penalty it is short of the first down.

The Bills could of declined the penalty and given them the 1st down and made it 1st and 10, but 10 yards farther forward.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Edmunds has vastly improved and that is awesome.  But imagine a rookie like Nick Bolton as MLB with Milano and Edmunds outside?  

We do need a plan for Henry and Fornutte type backs.  We can box in henry to some extent with a loaded front, but cant do that against Tampa.  Will be interesting to see the plans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree, and actually I was a bit dismayed by McDermott going after it.  I would like him to advance to Jr Hoodie-like grasp of the rulebook.

I thought Coach was fired up at the refs for a different play?  Refs missing the blatant false start....then showed Diggs on camera questioning it as well.

Unless you're referring to something else

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

They still scored.  I know they gonna get theys, but 49 is at the point of attack and needed to make a play.  As far as 0 adjustment on D, that's also 49's responsibility.  Dave Mason time 😛

Only you know and I know what that means…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The refs didn't screw up the down and distance on the hold. Holding is measured by where the foul happened and the hold occurred 15 yards down field by their WR..I think Robinson(number 11) if I am not mistaken.

Therefore 15-10 = 5

Doesn't happen that often but I have seen it a bunch of times over the years in these situations, almost always when a WR is holding down field.

Also regarding Henry...the Bills have done a very nice job against him the last 2 games...he has rushed 39 times for only 135 yards in those 2 games, an average of under 3.5 YPC

Do you remember how far the runner/ball got on that play?  If it didn't go past the spot of holding, they should change the rule to deduct from the spot of the ball in this situation.

25 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Do you remember how far the runner/ball got on that play?  If it didn't go past the spot of holding, they should change the rule to deduct from the spot of the ball in this situation.

As far as I can tell - unless someone has it queued up - it was:

1st and 10 at the Bills 28.  Hill ran the Ball and was pushed out of bounds at the Bills 13.  The holding was occurring between the 12 and 10 yard lines as the WR was holding the DB right in front of Hill.

They moved the Ball back 10 yards from the point where Hill went out in this case because it was not as far as the hold.  The 10 yard penalty put the ball on the 23 and you replay the down.

1st and 5 from the 23.

I think that is the sequence and I think it was done exactly correct.

The only 2 questions with it is where exactly does the WR holding start - you could argue maybe at the 15 or 14, but they ruled it was starting past the 13 - no a huge deal.  There was also a potential hold I believe near the LOS preventing a DL player from getting out wide that was not called.

The placement and the down and distance seemed fine as far as my understanding goes based upon what was called.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Very curious to see how he plays this Monday.  I suspect Titans will mostly abandon the passing game except for toss-ups to their big WRs and instead will lean into their strength and test the will of the Bills’ defense to chase-and-tackle for four quarters.  Edmunds will have to play a physical downhill game which has not exactly been his strength… looking forward to seeing whether his evolution is real.

After reading these reports and then watching the Cover One defensive breakdown of the KC game, I am becoming an even bigger fan of 49. 

The amount of territory he covers from the LOS to 15 yards deep, sideline to sideline, is unreal.

He’s like a dog who drinks a bowl of water before his walk. “I have marked ALL the land as mine.” 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Very curious to see how he plays this Monday.  I suspect Titans will mostly abandon the passing game except for toss-ups to their big WRs and instead will lean into their strength and test the will of the Bills’ defense to chase-and-tackle for four quarters.  Edmunds will have to play a physical downhill game which has not exactly been his strength… looking forward to seeing whether his evolution is real.

I thought they had a good defensive gameplan against the Titans last year but Andre Roberts tipped interception opened a floodgate of mistakes offensively.   You are right though,  they don't give up on Henry easily.   They have defied the odds by having success making comebacks running the football.   I think they will always try to keep pounding it until they get down 3 scores or more.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought they had a good defensive gameplan against the Titans last year but Andre Roberts tipped interception opened a floodgate of mistakes offensively.   You are right though,  they don't give up on Henry easily.   They have defied the odds by having success making comebacks running the football.   I think they will always try to keep pounding it until they get down 3 scores or more.

Especially when they can't stop the other team's offense.  They're going to eat clock and try to win the game late.  Don't think they have the horses to succeed in that plan on either side of the ball - would require the Bills having a real off-day.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.