The Edmunds Report - Week 5, Bills v. Chefs, 10/10/21

Freddie's Dead

Thanks for the breakdown.  He looked pretty good out there from the stands.  Like you said, vs the run, not so good, but his positioning and size makes him a formidable road block for the QB.  Sitting in the end zone, I could see the passing lanes.   In this game, we wasn’t manipulated by Mahomes’ eyes and was sticking to his assignment.  Well done. Very good game be the pass from my viewpoint.  

edit: and thanks for putting in the work for this @Freddie's Dead 👍🏻

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

It's pretty awesome to see things starting to click mentally for Tremaine this year. Perfect example was when the Chiefs tried to get that play on the outside off of their LT. Edmunds read it perfectly, took a couple of steps to his right, saw the correct angle, and kicked in that closing burst to make the TFL. He's been seeing things on the field a lot better this year, diagnosing and going in for the tackle. This week against Tennessee will be a true test for him. Last year, though playing with an injured shoulder, I remember him being out of position a lot in that game. Hopefully his great play continues against a more run heavy offense. 

That TFL got us out of our chairs.   He's been inconsistent and often hesitant on his choices/routes to the ball in his first 3 seasons.   The actual TFL numbers aren't that important........the lack of them last season in particular was just an indication of the inefficiencies in his game.   His performance in the last couple weeks has been exceptional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Eye test was good the last couple of games.

agreed, no ones wins every play but he has definitely had fewer WTF plays the last 2 games where he is blocked 10 yards downfield or chooses the blocked gap instead of where the hole is. 

I will sign my Predator apology form now. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the breakdown.  He looked pretty good out there from the stands.  Like you said, vs the run, not so good, but his positioning and size makes him a formidable road block for the QB.  Sitting in the end zone, I could see the passing lanes.   In this game, we wasn’t manipulated by Mahomes’ eyes and was sticking to his assignment.  Well done. Very good game be the pass from my viewpoint.  

edit: and thanks for putting in the work for this @Freddie's Dead 👍🏻

agree on thanks for putting in the work. this is an awesome review and i look forward to it every week!

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I can accept the conclusion that Edmunds is very good in coverage and not great against the run.  But that does concern me with regard to the Titans offense. 

As good as Edmunds has been the last few weeks I would agree that this game is a true litmus test to see how he fares against the best RB in the NFL.

If Henry goes off the Titans will not only stay in this game but have a great chance of winning.

44 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I can accept the conclusion that Edmunds is very good in coverage and not great against the run.  But that does concern me with regard to the Titans offense. 

Why - we have played Tennessee the last 2 years and we’ve stopped the run.

We also have stopped other run heavy teams like Baltimore at a good clip.

The issue is when we gameplan to stop the pass and a team runs against the weak front.  Then we struggle - see KC last year.

If we gameplan to stop Henry like previous years - I would expect they will slow him down again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

People that rag on this kid clearly are thinking of traditional MLB play.  In today's passing game, Edmunds may be the best at his position.

It's so true and I have a hard time evaluating him.  One thing I have done is think about the prime responsibility that the coaches want from him.

It really seems it's a pass first run second decision he is making often which is a reverse of the norm.  I do think he is hiding his intentions pre snap

better than in the past.

In the long view IF Edmunds gives up a couple of yards more on a handful of run plays that yardage is nothing compared to the yardage which

can be made on a handful of pass plays IF Edmunds doesn't do his job adequately.  It's very hard to see plays that COULD of went his

direction from the opposing QBs options that Edmunds stymied. 

That is why I trust what our coaching staff sees in him way above my limited knowledge.  The only thing left is how much higher can Edmunds

lift his ceiling?  Right now I am starting to feel that he is still learning a lot in this scheme and can get much better.

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, Milano is more that kinda guy in this defense anyway as the SLB they ask him to play closer to the line. Edmunds gets more of the intermediate zone or outside zone assignments. On the rare occasion they do ask him to run blitz or man the RB, he does just fine. When they recognize run he'sgap sound. I think he'll always struggle with leverage against stout OLs because of his height. But he's learned to manage those blocks better while keeping his eyes on the RB.

I know most people don’t want to hear that, but I think he plays the run with an eye on leverage and trying to stop a small to medium run from becoming a long run.  

He doesn’t really get blocked downfield like some players - many times he engages with a blocker and uses his hands to keep them off his body and then uses his eyes to retreat and try to maintain leverage and allow pursuit to get there.  He will fall back 5-6+ yards while maintaining leverage to come off and either make a tackle as they go buy or allow the pursuit to get there.

Some LBs attack the OL blocker and play off and sometimes they get nice stops, but sometimes the OL blocker wins and then that LB has lost leverage and you get the big play- we see those go for 40 yards and a TD - like Singletary or even 20+ yards like Allen.

Edmunds almost always slow plays it - backing off and trying to maintain his position as he retreats.  It looks bad, but I think from the team perspective of making plays - they accept that retreat to keep the bigger play from happening. Those are the plays typically identified as Haters plays, but I think that is just how he is playing those plays.  Force the other team to keep having to make plays.

There are also other plays that you see if you watch the Cover 1 film room - where Edmunds is covering in the flat, but his presence caused Hill to alligator arms a pass with Poyer in coverage on Hill.  Poyer gets credit, but it was Edmunds recognizing and squaring up on Hill that caused him to take his eyes off and let the pass fall incomplete.

Cover 1 also showed examples of just how good his spacing was and how even on a pass designed to beat the exact coverage the Bills were running - his ability to get deep and push Hill a step or two deeper disrupted the timing just enough to force an incompletion.

I understand there are aspects to his game that are downright frustrating, but the entire gameplan against the Chiefs falls apart without a MLB like Edmunds that can cover all over the field.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

Eye test was good the last couple of games.

No offense, but when players and coaches around the league have voted Edmunds into the Pro Bowl the previous two seasons, it has been good for quite some time.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The refs didn't screw up the down and distance on the hold. Holding is measured by where the foul happened and the hold occurred 15 yards down field by their WR..I think Robinson(number 11) if I am not mistaken.

Therefore 15-10 = 5

Doesn't happen that often but I have seen it a bunch of times over the years in these situations, almost always when a WR is holding down field.

Agree, and actually I was a bit dismayed by McDermott going after it.  I would like him to advance to Jr Hoodie-like grasp of the rulebook.

Great breakdown again Freddie.

the only one I disagree with was the 9th drive TD to Kelce. We had 2 Bills covering a 4 receiver diamond. PM got that ball out so fast with the basketball pass that there was no way anyone was getting to it.

I would call it a great play call and zero adjustment by our D to get more bodies out there to at least give PM pause about shuffling the ball to Kelce.

Edited by JDubya76
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.