Cowboys release Jaylon Smith

YoloinOhio

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

There’s a reason he was released and no one would trade for him. No he doesn’t upgrade the roster. 

Yes he does.  He is better than Dodson Better than Smith Better than Matakevich and Might even be an upgrade to Klien.  That is upgrading the Roster.

And Yes no one was trading for that contract. 

Edited by MAJBobby

33 minutes ago, dneveu said:

When your defense is ranked 32nd in the league through 4 weeks?  You have to kinda look at everything.

just pointing out how when a player was released everyone would say he's signing with patriots...now it's Tampa and KC

12 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

Edmunds is below average to average and Milano is injury prone.  Im all for taking a flyer at the right price for Smith.

Surprised it took 3 pages for this idiotic statement.

Just now, Dopey said:

Surprised it took 3 pages for this idiotic statement.

Edit: jmo

the Cowboys have a lot of good LBs.  This guy was given a lot of money, that's why no one wanted to trade for him.  Bring him in here, let him compete.  We need backup LBs.  We really only have Klien that could fill a starter role.  If he stinks here, we cut him.  

Ok, so now that the dust has settled, it seems to mostly be about him not playing as well as the guys around him and not fitting into the DC's defense the way he wanted.  Some questions about his effort or commitment too have been thrown out, but nothing really confirmed about that.

Here is my take...One of my absolute favorite things about our team and staff is their ability to get the most out of players.  Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery, a better structure, and a coaching staff that is invested in the kids development.  And IMHO, we are among the best in the league, if not the best, at providing that type of environment.  

So for me, I would kick the tires here and see about bringing this kid in and seeing if he can develop.  However, that is easier said than done, I mean it was really challenging to find a way to get to the 53 man roster prior to week 1 as it was.  This is not an easy team to make, so to bring him in someone needs to go, and that person is likely a good ST contributor looking at the roster of where they could make room.  

But still, I think we would be one of the best places for him to land to see if he can get back to reaching his potential.  But I also won't lose any sleep over this at all and both don't care if we sign him, and also don't think we will.  Just saying, I wouldn't be upset if we did because I think our staff our culture is just that good.  

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I know a ton of Cowboys fans are pumped about this. He signed his big extension and then basically stopped trying. Was out of shape and bad.

And that’s what the tape shows and pretty much everyone who closely follows the Cowboys has been saying. Don’t understand why there are some are clamoring for a bad player.

3 hours ago, Ta111 said:

And that’s what the tape shows and pretty much everyone who closely follows the Cowboys has been saying. Don’t understand why there are some are clamoring for a bad player.

The way I see it the question is really whether or not he's better as a backup linebacker than what we currently have on the roster. Do we like him better than Dodson or Andre Smith? Idk, does t seem like a move they would make, they tend to like the guys in the room. Smith will be very affordable right now though and will get signed somewhere.

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The way I see it the question is really whether or not he's better as a backup linebacker than what we currently have on the roster. Do we like him better than Dodson or Andre Smith? Idk, does t seem like a move they would make, they tend to like the guys in the room. Smith will be very affordable right now though and will get signed somewhere.

Those guys have special teams roles.  Does Jaylon want to play teams?

Evidently Dallas was afraid they would be on the hook for a guaranteed 9.5 mil next year if he got injured and felt their needs and his play didn't warrant that risk.

People thinking he's washed up at 27 or that he sucks are probably going to be wrong in my estimation. I think a change of location will be good for him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.