Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

Was at the game tonight. Sabres had moments on both ends of the spectrum. Looked good, and ran around in their own zone at times. 

The thing that really stood out to me was Krebs looked like the NHL Level is still slightly beyond him. He had his fair share of errors. 

Tolarski was good, but let in 2 easy goals. We need a solid #1 goalie. 

3 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Was at the game tonight. Sabres had moments on both ends of the spectrum. Looked good, and ran around in their own zone at times. 

The thing that really stood out to me was Krebs looked like the NHL Level is still slightly beyond him. He had his fair share of errors. 

Tolarski was good, but let in 2 easy goals. We need a solid #1 goalie. 

No doubt on the goalie, interested to see what the Northeastern kid does for Canada in the Olympics

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Did somebody run over your dog or something?

No I'm just tired about how this time its different.

They have been rebuilding for 11 years.

They will most likely be a bottom 3-5 team next year after VO and Miller and others are traded for futures. 

all these young rookies are going to struggle at times, development isn't linear, we've seen it with mitts, Couzens, Dahlin, Joker etc.

I just want to know, when is the plan to actually start winning hockey games?

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sabres blow 3rd period lead for NINTH TIME this year! Are you kidding me?

The funny thing is they played pretty well in 2nd and 3rd periods after a mediocre first period.

To be down 1 at the end of the first was a miracle. They were outplayed big time in the 1st last night. 

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Sabres blow 3rd period lead for NINTH TIME this year! Are you kidding me?

The funny thing is they played pretty well in 2nd and 3rd periods after a mediocre first period.

It sucks more to be winning then lose than to just get run over every night.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:45 PM, Nextmanup said:

This is such BS in the video...

What do you expect the poor kid to say, though? Of course he's going to say positive things.

"The city is excited"...really?  Have a look at the empty seats, Rasmus! 

"Krebsy" is playing great--just assigned to Rochester b/c he's clearly not ready for the NHL yet...

And so on...

I like Granato a lot and think he's doing as good a job as he can do, but at what point does his .389 win percentage get addressed?  Never?  

"Wait 'til next year!" exclaimed the Sabres fans.

I guess we all see/hear what we want to. I saw a thoughtful, sincere answer that gives me hope.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

So what Montreal permits no fans?  I was surprised to see that

I watched the game and was surprised too... maybe no truckers to haul food and beer to the venue and everyone said ***** it.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.bleachernation.com/blackhawks/2022/02/14/report-blackhawks-have-received-big-offers-for-brandon-hagel-but-dont-want-to-trade-him/
REPORT: Blackhawks Have Received Big Offers for Brandon Hagel, But Don’t Want to Trade Him

Hagel is tearing it up this season. He was a 6th round pick of the Sabres in 2016 under Tim Murray (he hit on a few late picks). Jason Botterill didn’t sign him and we lost his rights.

Its amazing how many mistakes this franchise has made over the last 10 years.

also: 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/jack-eichel-to-make-vegas-golden-knights-debut-wednesday-vs-colorado-avalanche/
‘Jack Eichel to make Golden Knights debut Wednesday vs. Avalanche’

🖕

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:45 PM, BillsFan4 said:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2022/02/14/jack-eichel-to-make-vegas-golden-knights-debut-wednesday-vs-colorado-avalanche/
‘Jack Eichel to make Golden Knights debut Wednesday vs. Avalanche’

🖕

And it went as expected. His head didn't fall off.

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And it went as expected. His head didn't fall off.

Yeah he didn’t really take any big hits though. The concern about the ADR surgery was how it would hold up over time and how it would react to awkward collisions and big open ice hits (etc). 

Anyway...

he looked rusty. You saw flashes of the Eichel we know but it’s obviously going to take him some time to get back into game shape. It’s also going to take him some time to get used to the pace LV plays with/at.

2 great games on TNT yesterday back to back.

did you see Reinhart’s game tying goal? What a beauty!

I don’t mind rooting for Reinhart. He left the proper way.

Eichel can go **** himself.

Edited by BillsFan4

15 hours ago, T&C said:

Watching this one with the Sens... as always, great to hear RJ. 

That was about the only thing "Great" about that game last night...

What a HORRIBLE hockey game!  

And we had a little winning "streak" going to, if you can call 2 games a streak.

You have to hand it to the 4,000 or so people who were physically in attendance....now those are DIE HARD Sabres fans.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Buffalo played a heck of a game against Colorado. They went blow for blow with the AVS all game and were in it till the end. Our young talent was really on full display today. A lot of the young guys had good games today.

It was 3-3 in the third until this play:

Dahlin was hit in the face with a stick then basically shoved to the ice by his face, and Colorado scored on an odd man break while Dahlin was laying on the ice.

The play should’ve been blown dead and Buffalo given a power play. 

Despite losing, It was a Really exciting high paced offensive hockey game. Fun to watch! Sign me up for more of this style/pace. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I thought Buffalo played a heck of a game against Colorado. They went blow for blow with the AVS all game and were in it till the end. Our young talent was really on full display today. A lot of the young guys had good games today.

It was 3-3 in the third until this play:

Dahlin was hit in the face with a stick then basically shoved to the ice by his face, and Colorado scored on an odd man break while Dahlin was laying on the ice.

The play should’ve been blown dead and Buffalo given a power play. 

Despite losing, It was a Really exciting high paced offensive hockey game. Fun to watch! Sign me up for more of this style/pace. 

Better effort than the Ottawa game. Tage Thompson had a day.

• Like (+1) 1

Ugly performance in Montreal last night.  Holy crap.

"Dad, when will the Sabres become relevant again?  It's been over a decade now!" asked the child.

"I don't know, son" said the father, as he tried to wipe a tear from his eye without his son seeing.  "We're a mess."

😂

• Sad 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:13 PM, Helpmenow said:

For sale yet Terry?

Serious question from my perspective why have the Bills gone on the right track but not the Sabres?

I wouldn’t consider myself a Sabres fan but like to see them do well.  I check scores from time to time

Thats how I saw last nights debacle 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Serious question from my perspective why have the Bills gone on the right track but not the Sabres?

I wouldn’t consider myself a Sabres fan but like to see them do well.  I check scores from time to time

Thats how I saw last nights debacle 

Beane and McDermott are good at their jobs and the Pegula's don't meddle in what they are doing. The Sabres either don't have the right management team in place  or the Pegula's are involved in the decision making process more than they should be. Or maybe a combination of both.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Beane and McDermott are good at their jobs and the Pegula's don't meddle in what they are doing. The Sabres either don't have the right management team in place  or the Pegula's are involved in the decision making process more than they should be. Or maybe a combination of both.

Murray dug a very deep hole and Botts was nowhere near equipped to handle that….he got painted into corners and made it worse.  It hasn’t really gotten worse at all this year, it’s just been the realization of the inevitable.  

Tim Murray was absolutely the worst GM in the history of professional sports.  The Sabres should have petitioned the league to jettison his entire construct and be allowed to re-enter the NHL as an expansion team.

16 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Murray dug a very deep hole and Botts was nowhere near equipped to handle that….he got painted into corners and made it worse.  It hasn’t really gotten worse at all this year, it’s just been the realization of the inevitable.  

Tim Murray was absolutely the worst GM in the history of professional sports.  The Sabres should have petitioned the league to jettison his entire construct and be allowed to re-enter the NHL as an expansion team.

Hopefully the rebuild goes somewhere this time. Its been a long time since the Sabres were even respectable.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Used to really follow the Sabres. Damn sad with Pegula. I don’t think he cares about this franchise

He loves hockey, and many have speculated that is a part of the problem.  He has made poor hiring decisions in the front office and I believe he had his hand in some horrible FA signings and we all know the result.  He let qualified people run the football ops.

Even though the NFL is a better business to be in I bet Terry would take a Cup win over a super bowl given the choice.  

• Vomit 1

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

He loves hockey, and many have speculated that is a part of the problem.  He has made poor hiring decisions in the front office and I believe he had his hand in some horrible FA signings and we all know the result.  He let qualified people run the football ops.

Even though the NFL is a better business to be in I bet Terry would take a Cup win over a super bowl given the choice.  

I doubt that

• Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

I doubt that

Terry Pegula is 90% of the problem with the Sabres, but it's not because he doesn't care about them winning.  

He thinks he knows something about hockey, despite being the lowest information sports fan you've ever known.

There is a video/audio clip floating around from a few years ago talking about the Sabres potentially acquiring Taylor Hall in the off-season (which we later did).

Terry says on a hot microphone: "If we get this guy, we aren't talking about making the playoffs, we are talking about making a run at the Cup" or words to that effect.

It is the perfect statement demonstrating just how stupid he is.  His judgment is horrible.  He has no understanding--whatsoever--of what makes a quality hockey team or how to build one.  

There is no doubt he ordered Darcy Regier to acquire Ville Leino, leading to one of the worst FA acquisitions in club history, b/c he scored the goal that put the Sabres out of the playoffs the previous season.

It goes on and on.  When ANY sports team is THIS BAD for THIS LONG there is only 1 possible place to look: OWNERSHIP.  

It literally HAS to be ownership to be this bad this long.

You would think Buffalo sports fans would be well informed on this topic given our history with Ralph Wilson and the Bills.

I continue to PRAY that he gives up on the Sabres, focuses solely on the Bills, and sells the hockey team.

That's where we are now as Sabres fans, I think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Terry Pegula is 90% of the problem with the Sabres, but it's not because he doesn't care about them winning.  

He thinks he knows something about hockey, despite being the lowest information sports fan you've ever known.

There is a video/audio clip floating around from a few years ago talking about the Sabres potentially acquiring Taylor Hall in the off-season (which we later did).

Terry says on a hot microphone: "If we get this guy, we aren't talking about making the playoffs, we are talking about making a run at the Cup" or words to that effect.

It is the perfect statement demonstrating just how stupid he is.  His judgment is horrible.  He has no understanding--whatsoever--of what makes a quality hockey team or how to build one.  

There is no doubt he ordered Darcy Regier to acquire Ville Leino, leading to one of the worst FA acquisitions in club history, b/c he scored the goal that put the Sabres out of the playoffs the previous season.

It goes on and on.  When ANY sports team is THIS BAD for THIS LONG there is only 1 possible place to look: OWNERSHIP.  

It literally HAS to be ownership to be this bad this long.

You would think Buffalo sports fans would be well informed on this topic given our history with Ralph Wilson and the Bills.

I continue to PRAY that he gives up on the Sabres, focuses solely on the Bills, and sells the hockey team.

That's where we are now as Sabres fans, I think.

Kim wants to be done with the Sabres.  Terry won't sell.  He loves hockey no matter what the poorly informed in this thread will have you believe. 

On 2/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Helpmenow said:

Need a new owner

Do the Sabres a favor and put it up and have one sports team. 

Absolutely WRONG! Buffalo is a hockey town and belongs in the NHL. Any  franchise we let leave is gone forever. 

I have watched every single second of Sabres hockey this year, and pretty much every year. If all you do is check the scores and standings it's easy to think they are a basket case.

But actually they are where the Bills were in 2018. They blew up the old core and are cultivating a new one. They are a very young team and players that need to develop. 

But I can tell you this team is already much better than the s##t show they were last year under Krueger. In many games they are playing well only to screw up in their end and give up a goal. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1