9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t want to say the sky is falling at all, so I say this hesitantly. I don’t want to hear about how great the Steelers are as an excuse. I didn’t realize the Stillers were considered contenders first of all, and secondly, we are Super Bowl contenders, you shouldn’t be getting bullied by Pittsburgh at home on opening day. Today’s game had the same complexion as the two Chiefs losses last season, that is at least slightly concerning. 

Yup.. Chiefs x2, Titans, Steelers, all just bullied us all game - and much of it is OL issues and all of a sudden Daboll’s play calling becomes bizarro world.  

Steelers have one of, if not, the best DL’s in football.. but you have to be able to counter punch and this coaching staff has not shown the ability to do that against good teams. 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

EVERYONE underestimated this Steelers defense.  I was feeling that after the Watt signing a bad feeling.  That we still don't matchup well with them my concern was running the ball but their pass defense is better.  Engram is better then Dupree.  Much better.  

It might be the best D we see all year.

My opinion both before and after the game is that Pittsburgh’s defence is the best in the league. Ergo, it’s the best we will see all year against the Bills.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well this will be a real test for McD. He usually gets his team to respond to adversity.  Can't go 0-2 in the AFC to start the season.

Well sure.  McD made many questionable decisions and Daboll called to many cute, low percentage plays.  The players did not execute.  All of it starts with McD.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’ve said it a thousand times… it’s harder on the oline when the defense knows you’re gonna pass.

Absolutely- this 5 wide stuff seems to play into what the Steelers do best. It’s good I’m not a coach because Its baffling what the bills offense was thinking they wanted todo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I haven’t seen it discussed much, but our receivers didn’t do a great job getting open today either. I’d have watch again to confirm, but I saw some issues with that. 

Yeah, that's the other half of it. Usually when you spread it out with 4 or 5 WRs you hope guys come open quickly vs single coverage or soft zones. It didn't happen.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He sucked. Plain and simple. He had an excellent 2nd half last season against the Steelers…. He was worse in the 2nd half this game. He had a bad game. 

He did suck considering the bar that has been set for him. He did not play to that contract. He’s being paid to put the team on his shoulders (right wrong or indifferent).  I agree he was not the Josh Allen he needed to be today. Hopefully he gets focused for next week. 

6 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

I can’t tell if you’re joking but it’s like the refs try to offset the clear home fan advantage with lopsided calls. Because you can’t expect the fans to help that much AND get home field advantage refereeing.

I'm mostly joking. I really don't think home field advantage is significant, the 3 very questionable PI/Holding calls against us hurt a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I'm alone on this but I didn't think Allen was bad today. He definitely underperformed in the 1st half compared to what he showed last year, but the pass rush got to him a ton. He settled in just fine at the end of the 1st half but the whole last 20 minutes of the game he had no chance. Dumbest 4th and 1 call I've ever seen. Sanders dropped a perfectly placed seam pass. Numerous offensive holding calls that brought good passes back. Allen would have had to play a nearly perfect game to win this one and I can't expect that from him every week.

The biggest culprit in this game BY FAR was the o-line. Dawkins is seriously worrying me. He has to get his conditioning back in the middle of a season. That's a tough ask. The guards were awful all game long. Someone needs to remind the Bills offensive holding is getting called this year. It is my #1 concern about the team right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Most of the calls were legit. Their defensive line flat out owned our OL. Both Dawkins and Williams were terrible today. Feliciano and Ford were not great either. The PI on Wallace was the one a that I was miffed about 

Yeah I’m not keen on blaming refs but you have to say that home field advantage i.e. biased refereeing in favor of the home team, is really not a thing in Buffalo. Does flagrant undisciplined penalties explain it, possibly. It’s not a thing though.

Just now, HappyDays said:

The biggest culprit in this game BY FAR was the o-line. Dawkins is seriously worrying me. He has to get his conditioning back in the middle of a season. That's a tough ask. The guards were awful all game long. Someone needs to remind the Bills offensive holding is getting called this year. It is my #1 concern about the team right now.

Pretty much this. Feliciano is a disappointment, for one thing. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh and the deep ball had been a consistent struggle for him. He still can’t throw an accurate deep ball. It’s a concern at this point. 

Agree.  We’re in year four here and he’s got $258 million or whatever - stop throwing the ball out of the stadium on basic college fly patterns.  Enough already Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t want to say the sky is falling at all, so I say this hesitantly. I don’t want to hear about how great the Steelers are as an excuse. I didn’t realize the Stillers were considered contenders first of all, and secondly, we are Super Bowl contenders, you shouldn’t be getting bullied by Pittsburgh at home on opening day. Today’s game had the same complexion as the two Chiefs losses last season, that is at least slightly concerning. 

You not realizing the steelers are contenders is very much on you 🤣 why should the steelers pay for most football talking heads on TV being idiots and not giving them enough attention lol they have a great roster if their oline is decent

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

So a lot of people around me in the stands thought that Sanders drop was at fault for the blocked punt.

Two things:

1. Sanders should have caught that seem pass that resulted in a pint the next down. 

2. I think a lot went wrong on that punt that resulted in a block. The previous play was totally irreverent. 

extra point: totally unrelated but very unpopular in my section. Levi Wallace HAS to turn his head around. The WR slowed up and looked for the ball. Wallace didn’t do anything particularly egregious other than play the WR and ran right into. Which is fine….if he’s try to make a play on the football. 

He actually didn’t run into him, shouldn’t have been a call…