• No
  2. 2. Will Ed Oliver have a breakout year

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Gabe Davis have a breakout year

• Yes
    • No

My answers:

Edmunds:  Yes.  Not sure its really fair to say "breakout" year for a perennial pro bowler who leads his team in tackles every year, but I think this is the year the half of the fan base finally buys in that hasn't previously.  Edmunds has areas he needs to improve on, but having a much better DL and him being healthy I think allows him to elevate his game to top 5 maybe top 3 at his position this year.  

Oliver:  Yes.  I don't think Oliver suddenly turns out a big statistical year, but I do think this year he shows his value and becomes a more consistent disruptor up the middle now that he has some beef in Star taking up space next to him. 

Davis:  No.  This is NOT a knock on Davis, I think the kid is poised for a great career.  The only reason I voted no, is simply because I am not expecting his year end stats to be much different than last year, and I actually expect less TD production too.  That is not because of his ability, that is because of a stacked arsenal of weapons, and he doesn't have the benefit as of now to have the #2 WR out for an extended amount of time.  Diggs, Sanders, and Cole are all going to get plenty of looks, and there just isn't enough balls to go around.  So while I expect him to be a great weapon for us, I am seeing a path to a statistical breakout compared to last year unless our receiving weapons miss some games.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If Davis broke out his rookie year then Edmunds did as well. 

I consider a breakout being you're considered one of the best at your position. 

I dont really follow that logic...so you are saying a "breakout" only constitutes becoming an elite player?  I would disagree...one of the best at your position, makes you Elite...and that is too narrow of a definition of a breakout.  

James Robinson broke out last year, he is not one of the very best at his position, in fact his team took a RB in the first round of this draft still.  But he VERY much broke out last year.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My answers:

Edmunds:  Yes.  Not sure its really fair to say "breakout" year for a perennial pro bowler who leads his team in tackles every year, but I think this is the year the half of the fan base finally buys in that hasn't previously.  Edmunds has areas he needs to improve on, but having a much better DL and him being healthy I think allows him to elevate his game to top 5 maybe top 3 at his position this year.  

Oliver:  Yes.  I don't think Oliver suddenly turns out a big statistical year, but I do think this year he shows his value and becomes a more consistent disruptor up the middle now that he has some beef in Star taking up space next to him. 

Davis:  No.  This is NOT a knock on Davis, I think the kid is poised for a great career.  The only reason I voted no, is simply because I am not expecting his year end stats to be much different than last year, and I actually expect less TD production too.  That is not because of his ability, that is because of a stacked arsenal of weapons, and he doesn't have the benefit as of now to have the #2 WR out for an extended amount of time.  Diggs, Sanders, and Cole are all going to get plenty of looks, and there just isn't enough balls to go around.  So while I expect him to be a great weapon for us, I am seeing a path to a statistical breakout compared to last year unless our receiving weapons miss some games.

Targets will be tough to get in this offense but I think he'll be our down field and redzone WR. He'll get like 90 targets. I think he'll have 15+ ypc. I think Sanders eats into Beasley's production. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My answers:

I dont really follow that logic...so you are saying a "breakout" only constitutes becoming an elite player?  I would disagree...one of the best at your position, makes you Elite...and that is too narrow of a definition of a breakout.  

James Robinson broke out last year, he is not one of the very best at his position, in fact his team took a RB in the first round of this draft still.  But he VERY much broke out last year.

I guess it depends on your criteria for being one of the best at your position. But yeah I agree that's probably too narrow. 

Edmunds: Being that he's not a 10 sack a season guy he will never live up to the draft position im the eyes of some fans. He will continue to do what is asked of him and play his 1/11 position instead of stuffing the stat sheet. He will make the Pro-Bowl (again) and some Bills fans will be upset by it (again).

Oliver: Much was made about him playing out of position last season. Looking forward to seeing how he's used this year. I can easily see an 8-10 sack season and improvement in other areas coming.

Davis: Easily my favorite for a true breakout. He's going to start the year as the 4th WR, it looks. I wouldn't be shocked if he sees the majority of snaps after week 8 or 9 in 2 WR sets. My guess is this is Cole's last year in Buffalo due to age, price tag and possibly nonfootball related reasons combined. As long as Davis is steadily progressing I would expect him to phase in more as Cole is phased out. I think Sanders catches a lot of balls this year too on those short underneath routes. 

A minor breakout candidate of mine: Gilliam. I can see him with 2-3 rushing TDs (saving Josh the contact on some QB sneaks) and another 3-4 in the air in a Lee Smith type statline.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No on Edmunds; Yes on the other 2.

But who knows.

This is where I am as well. If Edmunds was to break out it would've happened by now.

Oliver needs to be that interior wrecking ball we need in the trenches and perhaps that will improve Edmunds and Wallace for that matter.

If our 4th WR had a major break out season then something else could have happened to the others.  

Oliver is the guy I most want to see start to dominate.  

Edmunds will be better mostly because he will not playing injured and we should get better DT play with Star back.  

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

We would have an incredible defense, could have stars at every level, D line, linebackers and secondary is packed with 3/4 of the legit top players .  And Epenesa as well, he could have a breakout year

good call with AJ!!  Only allowed me to put 3 in the poll.   

• Like (+1) 1

I suspect Edmunds has reached his peak, but he's still young enough and he has plenty of room for improvement. I don't know if Oliver will ever live up to expections, but if he does, that would be huge. I don't expect him to make a huge leap just because of Star (Who is very ordinary). Coach Frazier said it best. Oliver will have a breakout year because he's overdue. Davis will be better, of course, but he will still struggle for snaps because there is so much talent at WR. My real hope is our young DE's. I'll vote for Epinesa to have a solid season and Rousseau to feed his critics a healthy serving of crow.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, wjag said:

So Justin Jefferson didn't have a break out year?  We can disagree.  My criteria is below.

My criteria is someone who put their name in the conversation that wasn't there already or who wasn't expected to be there.  Everyone expects Davis to be more this year.  So by my metric, unless he dramatically increases his numbers, he is anticipated to improve, so not break out. 

Agree with the first point, disagree with the second. Think you're absolutely right that rookies can break out. Of course Justin Jefferson had a breakout year, anybody who says differently is silly. He's being touted as top-10 right now.

But Davis putting himself into the conversation and turning some heads regionally and in fantasy circles is not necessarily breaking out. Putting up 600 yards and 7 TD is not breaking out, in general. It's breaking out relative to being a nobody, but it's not breaking out in terms of asserting yourself as a force in the league. By that criteria, some unknown FA off the street that has a big 3 weeks and makes national headlines is a "break out". I don't think that's what's being discussed here.

I'm throwing my support behind the Gabe Davis breaks out and flirts with 1k yardage and serious national discussion and sets himself up as a mainstay in the league type of breakout.

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Honestly, how about Tyler Bass?

I think he solidifies himself as a top-5 kicker

If he proves he can kick it out of the stadium, not just to the press box, he will get my vote!  He will be unrivaled! 

As for options, I’d like to throw Epenesa into the mix. He’s had a year to get his body and mind right, and I’m excited to see what he can do. 

Edited by Augie