Zay Jones..hmmmmmm

bigK14094

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

From what I’ve seen and heard from the local media, John Brown is looking like their #4 Wr behind Ruggs, Edwards and Renfrow.  

one of the strangest things in the nfl last year imo:  How gruden and Carr made use of (or pack thereof) Ruggs.  I think Edwards is going to be their WR leader in TDs and yards (Waller leads in everything)

oh yeah, Zay made a couple plays.  Good for him.

Edwards, if he is finally healthy, can be a very good wideout in the league.    Loved him coming out of college, but with the knee issues you never know.    With Ruggs, the guy is a dynamic player if he is used correctly.   Just not sure he fits in a West Coast Offense well.   If they were willing to do more with him like Daboll uses McKenzie, he'd be outstanding.  But they need to move him around and get him in space.   Reminds me a ton of Desean Jackson, but have a feeling he will be totally wasted with Gruden.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Was never a fan of Zay Jones. Even after drafting him I was never excited about it. Then he did absolutely nothing while was here, besides get naked and jump through windows

I wanted to like him.  Seemed like a Woods-lite for a replacement, but watkins never saw the field again and they brought in mathews who was a bad fit in that dennison offense.  

But i had very little faith in him as a player after he secured 36.5% of his targets.  That's not all drops, that's not all Tyrod either though - by far the worst on the team and probably the league.  Improved in year 2, but not enough that Buffalo didn't feel the need to completely overhaul the roster for 2019.  He ended up losing snaps to guys like mckenzie, duke williams, roberts, and foster.  Basically they felt like there was no step-down to go to those guys, and ended up getting Tommy Doyle for him.

23 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

gotta wonder how much longer Gruden has over there esp if he has another subpar season, but the overpay likely keeps him around past a nomal shelf life...

10 years at $10M per year says that he'll be there until Mark Davis can afford to pay two coaches.  It's going to be a while.  I'm always glad to see another AFC team in the crapper.  Gruden, Mayock, and Davis may be the only three humans on the planet capable of making a sports franchise in Las Vegas fail.  Time will tell if they pull it off.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, thurst44 said:

And it's a double-win, b/c if they are big contributors, that's probably not a great sign for the Raiders. I know unless something goes wrong with this team, the Raiders are not a worry to us, but I've never much cared for them nor for Gruden.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders end up being a dark horse type of team this year, their big issues last year was defense which cost them down the stretch and after coming within a few minutes of sweeping the Chiefs they simply imploded after that game. So no surprise they focused heavily on that side of the ball in the draft and FA.

Regarding Peterman it would be interesting to see what he can do if he ever got the chance to start again. He's certainly a preseason all-pro and Gruden has hung on to him despite the QB carousel behind Carr. In fact there's already speculation that they are trying to unload Mariota and his contract and will cut him soon if he can't be traded which puts Peterman the clear cut QB2 in Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Sorry - I just want to be clear - I am really not trying to belittle or put down Zay Jones with my comment.  He was a waste for us, but I genuinely believe this Bills WR room is that deep with guys I would play over Jones.

The first 6 are locks to me:

Diggs

Sanders

Beasley

Davis

McKenzie

Kumerow

Then I would seriously consider as better or equal some younger guys like:

Hodgins

Stevenson

Lenoir 

Then you have 2 veteran guys like:

Gentry

Williams

They are in Zay’s ballpark, but probably just below.  We have a very deep and talented WR room and Zay Jones to me is just a borderline NFL player that does just enough to stick around.  Again no offense to him as the NFL needs those guys also, but I seriously don’t think he beats out the top 8 or 9 on this team.

Not sure why Kumerow is a lock for you? But either way the Bills have in my opinion 5 players for sure better than Zay and another 3-4 in his ballpark. Love that this team got a pick for him and I hope his career pans out in Vegas.

36 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Doctor describing Zay Jones condition.  

DD0765C3-698D-4262-9923-3A46F25C364E.jpeg

Funny, I’ll give you that. Didn’t Zay catch like 100 balls in a single season in college? The guy can catch, but the 6 inches between his ears got in the way for a while. He had some real issues, and they weren’t all on the football field. Mental health can be a B word. 

I don’t know what happened, but I wish him well.