Cole Beasley, Tre make NFL Top 100 back to back

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

You can comment on anything you’d like. And I, too, can remind the population of users that these rankings don’t matter. It is not just bills fans. It is a cultural phenomenon of caring more about what other people think of something (likes, houses, cares, friends, etc) instead of focusing on said thing’s true value.

If you want to be up in arms about an arbitrary number that will be forgotten tomorrow, that’s your prerogative.

You understand that we can disagree with the ranking, voice said disagreement, and still not lose a wink of sleep

over it right? 

But, uh, thanks for the reminder I guess???? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Where does Jalen Trash Can Ramsey come on the list 🙄 . Just because you talk crap and active on social media doesn't make you a top 5 CB. Tre got screwed on the popularity contest. Or we should bring out the pitch forks for over paying tre 😂 

CB James Bradberry 74th, 21 spots ahead of Tre? Is this some type of joke??

Baker Mayfield 71st?? Does anyone in their right mind believe that Baker Mayfield is a better player than Tre??

This list is a disgrace.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

2nd team All Pro, and possibly best slot WR in the league doesn't crack top 100?  I would argue he's top 60.

2nd team all pro on the back of a single all pro vote. He is not a top 100 player. I like Cole a lot but he just isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Where does Jalen Trash Can Ramsey come on the list 🙄 . Just because you talk crap and active on social media doesn't make you a top 5 CB. Tre got screwed on the popularity contest. Or we should bring out the pitch forks for over paying tre 😂 

While Tre should definitely be higher Jalen Ramsey is right up there with him. He was better than Tre in 2020, Tre was better than him in 2019. 

8 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You understand that we can disagree with the ranking, voice said disagreement, and still not lose a wink of sleep

over it right? 

But, uh, thanks for the reminder I guess???? 

Im aware. I was voicing my opinion, as were all of you. I was addressed over my comment and responded.

As you stated, I voiced an opinion, others disagreed, we communicated. Who is losing sleep? 

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. But equally there are more than 95 better than Cole Beasley. 

This statement seems to be controversial but even in 2020 which was his career year Beas (who I do really like) was 21st in receptions, 23rd in yards and 33rd in catch %. He was way down the list on touchdowns and yards per catch. And that is just receivers - there are already at least 20 names ahead of him. 101-200? Yea Beas belongs in that group for me. But top 100 players in the league? Not for me.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This statement seems to be controversial but even in 2020 which was his career year Beas (who I do really like) was 21st in receptions, 23rd in yards and 33rd in catch %. He was way down the list on touchdowns and yards per catch. And that is just receivers - there are already at least 20 names ahead of him. 101-200? Yea Beas belongs in that group for me. But top 100 players in the league? Not for me.

I agree with you. 100-150. 

just for discussion purposes Shaun O’Hara on GMFB just said he expects what could be a bigger year from Beasley this year and thinks he even coulda been a bit higher up on this years list…. Interesting 

I posted this is the main top 100 thread but it's good here too...

I know some Bills fans get bent out of shape each year but it's worth mentioning again how the list is compiled:

- Players are given ballot and told to list their top 20 players. They aren't given any stats or any sort of background on who might have played well, which is why you see people who remain on the list despite probably not having a great year.

- The voting takes place at the same time as the Pro Bowl balloting, so around Thanksgiving.

- The player that they vote 1st gets 20 points, 2nd 19 points and so on. They then tally the total. A tie in points NFLN decide who goes where.

- Surprise, surprise most players don't actually fill this out. In 2013, only 482 players returned their ballots or 23.8% of the league.

If it wasn't for social media, I think NFLN would have ditched this long ago but much like Madden ratings, it get's the clicks.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I posted this is the main top 100 thread but it's good here too...

I know some Bills fans get bent out of shape each year but it's worth mentioning again how the list is compiled:

- Players are given ballot and told to list their top 20 players. They aren't given any stats or any sort of background on who might have played well, which is why you see people who remain on the list despite probably not having a great year.

- The voting takes place at the same time as the Pro Bowl balloting, so around Thanksgiving.

- The player that they vote 1st gets 20 points, 2nd 19 points and so on. They then tally the total. A tie in points NFLN decide who goes where.

- Surprise, surprise most players don't actually fill this out. In 2013, only 482 players returned their ballots or 23.8% of the league.

If it wasn't for social media, I think NFLN would have ditched this long ago but much like Madden ratings, it get's the clicks.

I honestly love hearing what other players say about other players.  That is the best party about it IMHO

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

I honestly love hearing what other players say about other players.  That is the best party about it IMHO

I think that's good but it's weird when they only get players from the team that player is on to talk. James Robinson was all Jags players talking about him, which doesn't tell me much. And even with Tre, Devin White was big uppin Tre cause they went to LSU together. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2nd team all pro on the back of a single all pro vote. He is not a top 100 player. I like Cole a lot but he just isn't. 

Not Beasley's fault only one of the voters recognized slot WR as an actual position.  He likely would have been 1st team if they gave slot the same respect they give edge rusher as a starting spot.  All Pro voting is broken, that's why there was no 2nd team tight end and almost no votes for slot.  I think one of the OL spots was an issue too.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Like the All Pro voters, you're ignoring the specific position he played.  He's easily a top 3 SLOT receiver.  Also sat week 17 against a Miami team that was giving up TDs to literal practice squad players, which would have boosted his totals.

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why are you such a Bills hater?

I know you’re kidding, but GB is the farthest from a Bills hater.

My Brit friend is just wrong here.  Sorry GB.  Bease plays the same role as Edelman in NE with Brady.  The difference is BB, aka, Chancellor Palpatine, didn’t give Brady in a decade a Randy Moss like Beane gave JA17 in Diggs.  

If you think about it, JA had 4600+ yards throwing.  2500+ came from Diggs and Bease.  I hate his outward COVID defiance crap (not his decision to not get vacc.), but he would have been getting another 500 yards as he was the reincarnation of Hogan (7/11, I’m always open).  He was open on almost every play if you watch all 22 every week.  That’s worth the investment.  Bease is a rare find.

im glad he’s toned it down as I didn’t want to lose him.  

The finality of this is who cares what others think.  We go 14-3, and win the SB, I don’t care if anyone makes the top whatever list or any power ranking or any other list.

Hated the jump suits but big Al said it best…

• Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Not Beasley's fault only one of the voters recognized slot WR as an actual position.  He likely would have been 1st team if they gave slot the same respect they give edge rusher as a starting spot.  All Pro voting is broken, that's why there was no 2nd team tight end and almost no votes for slot.  I think one of the OL spots was an issue too.

Like the All Pro voters, you're ignoring the specific position he played.  He's easily a top 3 SLOT receiver.  Also sat week 17 against a Miami team that was giving up TDs to literal practice squad players, which would have boosted his totals.

On the all pro voting I do see the argument that it should be about a team and reflecting people who play specific positions. I have to say I don't really agree with it but I see the argument that your third receiver should be someone who plays mostly from the slot. The reason I don't agree is that there are very few "pure" slot receivers in the game. Take Justin Jefferson who had an incredible rookie year. First half of the season he played mainly from the slot, second half of the season he played mainly split out. What do you categorise him as? Take Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods in LA who both play all 3 positions depending on play call and alignment. 50% of Tyreek Hill's yards in 2020 came from the slot. Is he the best slot receiver in the league? Personally I'd leave it how it is. 

In any event I don't see the argument that it matters at all in the top 100. Why should there have to be a sot receiver in there? It is the best 100 players in the league. A lot of the receivers in the list will take some reps in the slot why should it be a rule that someone who is 75% slot or whatever you make the threshold has to be considered. Indeed if they are limited to only really playing the slot how can you argue they are better than a Cooper Kupp, or a Chris Godwin, or a Tyreek Hill who can play every receiver slot? If the best 100 players in the NFL are all cornerbacks then the list should be all cornerbacks (obviously that is not the case) the point being it should be the best guys irrelevant of position. 

The top 100 list is a it of a joke every year, some players vote just on the previous year's performance, some vote on longer term considerations, some of it is a popularity poll. While Tre White is way too low I don't have any problem saying Beasley is too high. And it is kind of the point I have made multiple times this offseason on the Bills. I'd argue the Bills have three elite players - Allen, White and Diggs. They they have lots of above average and good players and if I sat down and wrote my top 200 players in the league I suspect I'd have a lot of Bills in that 101-200 range but only 3 maybe 4 in the top 100. It isn't hating on Beasley - he is a very good player and I am glad he is on our team. But the 96th best player in football? Nah, no way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You talking about all WR's? Or just slot? Some say he is the best or at least top 3 slot WR. Either way I might have put him a little better than where he was ranked. Maybe 10 spots better.

17 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You talking about all WR's? Or just slot? Some say he is the best or at least top 3 slot WR. Either way I might have put him a little better than where he was ranked. Maybe 10 spots better.

Read my post above. What do you class as a slot? The league increasingly is moving towards offences where receivers move around. Is Tyreek Hill a slot (50% of his production in 2020 was from the slot)? Is Justin Jefferson a slot (he was at about 40% of his total snaps in the slot)? Is Cooper Kupp who had 853 yards from the slot in 2019 but fewer in 2020? More than half of Tyler Lockett's yards in 2020 were from the slot - is he a slot receiver? I think all of those are better players than Cole Beasley. He was somewhere between the 20th and the 30th best receiver in the league in 2020 in his career year. I struggle to reconcile that, objectively, with a top 100 player. 

EDIT: and I repeat, I am a Cole Beasley fan. He would definitely be in my top 200 - which when you consider 53 x 32 is 1600 odd players is no mean feat - I just think there are more than 95 better than him. 

Edited by GunnerBill

I agree with everybody that Tre is too low and Beasley is too high. The constant bummer to me is the disrespect Poyer gets. There is a strong argument to be made he was the best player on our defense last year. I don't see him getting top 40 so unfortunately I would guess he misses this list all together this year. At the very least I would have been thrilled to see him swapped for Beasley at 96. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I agree with everybody that Tre is too low and Beasley is too high. The constant bummer to me is the disrespect Poyer gets. There is a strong argument to be made he was the best player on our defense last year. I don't see him getting top 40 so unfortunately I would guess he misses this list all together this year. At the very least I would have been thrilled to see him swapped for Beasley at 96. 

Yea after the 3 obvious ones Dawkins and Poyer are the two Bills I'd consider. Both before Beas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Yea after the 3 obvious ones Dawkins and Poyer are the two Bills I'd consider. Both before Beas.

Saw this last week on NFL.com. Finally somebody tosses a bit of respect on Poyers name. Deangelo Hall goes over his top ten safeties.....

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-safeties-heading-into-2021-nfl-season

Rank

Jordan Poyer

Buffalo Bills · FS

Slightly more athletic than his counterpart Micah Hyde, Poyer's stats may not jump off the screen like his play on tape. But I have to praise him for playing the safety position in Sean McDermott's complex defense. McDermott asks a lot of his safeties in a number of combo coverages. Poyer excels in coverage and as a blitzer, and he's a sure tackler at the point of attack. He's often one of the first guys around the ball, and I don't expect to see anything different in his age-30 season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Beast said:

Interesting.

If the last guy they left off with is Beasley at 96, I'd figure Edmunds and Hyde would be in the top 100.

When Tre came in at 95, I don't see that happening.

Just a 13-3 team with 4 guys in the top 100, none of them top 10. That makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Just a 13-3 team with 4 guys in the top 100, none of them top 10. That makes sense.

I don't think it is as crazy as it sounds - though Allen and Diggs should both be minimum top 20 and White is definitely too low. The Bills are so good because they have above average starters at almost every spot and stars at 3 spots. Positions where the Bills had below average starters in 2020 basically boils down to tight end, 1 tech and arguably guard opposite Feliciano although I'd argue Ike once he got in did play at about a league average level. I repeat what I said above.... there are only three Bills I'd definitely say belong top 100, a couple more who I'd have right on the brink. I think there probably are legitimately half a dozen teams who have a legit claim to more top 100 players than the Bills but there might not be more than 1 or 2 who could claim more top 200 players. The Bills have lots of those proven starters I'd class as "very good, not elite" the likes of Williams, Morse, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds, Beasley, Milano, Hughes.... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I agree that White shouldn't be 95 on this list, but realistically not sure how much higher you can put him based last year (i.e. what have you done for me lately).

One thing that is lost in the great season we had last year was that White wasn't anywhere close elite in most cases. Certainly he had some minor injuries and the lack of pass rush will make even the best secondary look mediorce at times. But a lot of eyes will be watching to White this season in hopes that he looks closer to the player we saw prior to 2020 because if not the big contract extension will look questionable.

• Dislike 1

I don't think it is as crazy as it sounds - though Allen and Diggs should both be minimum top 20 and White is definitely too low. The Bills are so good because they have above average starters at almost every spot and stars at 3 spots. Positions where the Bills had below average starters in 2020 basically boils down to tight end, 1 tech and arguably guard opposite Feliciano although I'd argue Ike once he got in did play at about a league average level. I repeat what I said above.... there are only three Bills I'd definitely say belong top 100, a couple more who I'd have right on the brink. I think there probably are legitimately half a dozen teams who have a legit claim to more top 100 players than the Bills but there might not be more than 1 or 2 who could claim more top 200 players. The Bills have lots of those proven starters I'd class as "very good, not elite" the likes of Williams, Morse, Dawkins, Poyer, Hyde, Edmunds, Beasley, Milano, Hughes.... 

Imo Poyer, Beasley, White, Diggs and Allen belong. Poyer is one of the most underrated players in the entire league.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Imo Poyer, Beasley, White, Diggs and Allen belong. Poyer is one of the most underrated players in the entire league.

I agree Poyer is one of the most underrated players in the league. I have long banged that drum. I think there is significantly more of a case for Poyer as one of the best 100 players in the league than for Beas. The best 5 players on the team are Allen, White and Diggs in some order then Dawkins and Poyer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I agree that White shouldn't be 95 on this list, but realistically not sure how much higher you can put him based last year (i.e. what have you done for me lately).

One thing that is lost in the great season we had last year was that White wasn't anywhere close elite in most cases. Certainly he had some minor injuries and the lack of pass rush will make even the best secondary look mediorce at times. But a lot of eyes will be watching to White this season in hopes that he looks closer to the player we saw prior to 2020 because if not the big contract extension will look questionable.

Doesn't apply though, JJ Watt and Christian McCaffrey were on the list and they didn't play 

On 8/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not sure where this narrative came from, but White was absolutely elite in 2020. He had literally a handful of plays all season where he got beat. All season.

By and large, he was not targeted by opposing QB's. He was great.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure where this narrative came from, but White was absolutely elite in 2020. He had literally a handful of plays all season where he got beat. All season.

By and large, he was not targeted by opposing QB's. He was great.

Tre doesn’t make a ton of splashy plays - that hurts his rep a bit.  He’s more of a Revis type shut down corner.

I didn’t think he was as good in 2020 as he was in 2019, but our entire defense also played below their ability as a whole.    

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Tre doesn’t make a ton of splashy plays - that hurts his rep a bit.  He’s more of a Revis type shut down corner.

I didn’t think he was as good in 2020 as he was in 2019, but our entire defense also played below their ability as a whole.    

Guys a ghost and that's absolutely a good thing.