Bills v. Lions 8/13/21 Game Balls

Front page on espn

Former emergency QB Jake Fromm orchestrates game-winning drive in NFL debut for Buffalo Bills

The 2020 fifth-round pick saw his first NFL action Friday in Buffalo's 16-15 win over the Detroit Lions, leading a 74-yard scoring drive that ended in a game-winning field goal by Tyler Bass.

Fromm completed 8-of-13 passes for 65 yards, including a 42-yard completion to rookie Marquez Stevenson on 4th-and-10 during that final drive. 

He's been in these moments before," Bills coach Sean McDermott said, referencing Fromm's Georgia career. "And he just doesn't seem to be fazed in these moments."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32018565/former-emergency-qb-jake-fromm-orchestrates-game-winning-drive-nfl-debut-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Singletary

Rousseau

Bass

Wallace

Ford

Andre Smith

Giles-Harris

Matakevich

I'm going to give my first ever anti-game ball to Bobby Hart. I am so sorry that Joe Burrow had to play with this guy. If Dawkins isn't ready for week 1 I might consider starting Trubisky until he's back. It's that bad.

hart wasnt even playing against starters either.   

the poor guy looked lost, some plays wld hold his own and then others he just lost his technique and was wiffing horribly.   

• Like (+1) 1

In defense of Hart, the End he was going against just kept speed rushing wide on the edge.  He got no help and one called run inside the gap that End was leaving wide open would’ve put a stop to it.  And Fromm even though he deserves credit for some good throws was very statuesque back there.  When the End didn’t rush extremely wide Hart generally stuffed him.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Singletary

Rousseau

Bass

Wallace

Ford

Andre Smith

Giles-Harris

Matakevich

I'm going to give my first ever anti-game ball to Bobby Hart. I am so sorry that Joe Burrow had to play with this guy. If Dawkins isn't ready for week 1 I might consider starting Trubisky until he's back. It's that bad.

Trubisky can play OL?!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Front page on espn

Former emergency QB Jake Fromm orchestrates game-winning drive in NFL debut for Buffalo Bills

The 2020 fifth-round pick saw his first NFL action Friday in Buffalo's 16-15 win over the Detroit Lions, leading a 74-yard scoring drive that ended in a game-winning field goal by Tyler Bass.

Fromm completed 8-of-13 passes for 65 yards, including a 42-yard completion to rookie Marquez Stevenson on 4th-and-10 during that final drive. 

He's been in these moments before," Bills coach Sean McDermott said, referencing Fromm's Georgia career. "And he just doesn't seem to be fazed in these moments."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32018565/former-emergency-qb-jake-fromm-orchestrates-game-winning-drive-nfl-debut-buffalo-bills

So just over 3 yards per completion outside that one big play?

• Like (+1) 1

To my mind game balls go to Motor, and Webb.

Motor:

In the first series, I had to wonder if Motor wasn't playing for his job. I think it was eight carries in a row to start the game? But, he looked as good as he's ever looked to me. He was more explosive, his timing was right there, and he was slipping tackles like he did in his rookie season. And wile it's hard to measure his performance against Breida (Motor looks much better), when they were playing behind, and against different level players, McD did put Motor out there for a series later in the game with the same players Breida was in with, and Motor still looked really good. 

Webb:

Webb, in my opinion, is going to be on this team for a long time. I mentioned a few weeks ago that you can't overstate Webb's value, even as a third string QB. During last season in TC, and the offseason, he carved out a niche for himself in practice and outside of practice to the point where more than a few people have suggested that if he couldn't be a competent backup, he should be hired on as a coaching assistant.

Yesterday, he showed that he can run this offense. Yes, it was late in a preseason game against scrubs (and behind such noteworthy O-linesmen like Devey, and Hart...), but he showed proclivities that followed Josh Allen's play. He escaped right, he ran draws, and RPOs, and he threw on the run. And he clearly knows this offense, and playbook.

I certainly don't think he's going to supplant Trubisky this season-- and to be fair, we learned exactly nothing about MT yesterday. But to my eyes, whether on the 53, or as is more likely, the PS, Webb looked like our #3QB, who is poised to become a solid #2 when Trubisky inevitably leaves.

• Like (+1) 1

Who is Andre Smith  and how great did he play last night. Love to see more of him in regular season. Stevenson is going to be a candidate for the final 53. His speed and special teams ability make him valuable. Webb looked far better than his Giants version. His runs on broken plays and IPOs were impressive. Rousseau looks like he could be big contributor. Finally, how about Bass. Best kicker in recent Bills history. 

21 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Jake Fromm - nice comeback for the win after doing nothing in the 2nd half

Davis Webb - showed everything I want in a 3rd QB, led the only TD drive by the Bills

Motor Singletary - Looked ready for the season, happy if we don't see him again until opening day

Greg Rousseau - Looked dominant, came up with key sack early

Andre Smith - All over the field, great INT called back by penalty

Jaquan Johnson - solid in the secondary, pushing hard for 3rd/4th CB safety

Who ya got?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Webb:

Webb, in my opinion, is going to be on this team for a long time. I mentioned a few weeks ago that you can't overstate Webb's value, even as a third string QB. During last season in TC, and the offseason, he carved out a niche for himself in practice and outside of practice to the point where more than a few people have suggested that if he couldn't be a competent backup, he should be hired on as a coaching assistant.

Yesterday, he showed that he can run this offense. Yes, it was late in a preseason game against scrubs (and behind such noteworthy O-linesmen like Devey, and Hart...), but he showed proclivities that followed Josh Allen's play. He escaped right, he ran draws, and RPOs, and he threw on the run. And he clearly knows this offense, and playbook.

I certainly don't think he's going to supplant Trubisky this season-- and to be fair, we learned exactly nothing about MT yesterday. But to my eyes, whether on the 53, or as is more likely, the PS, Webb looked like our #3QB, who is poised to become a solid #2 when Trubisky inevitably leaves.

It is clear he has more value than most 3rd string QBs; Jim Kelly and Frank Reich said same kind of things about Alex Van Pelt and he is an OC now.

Clearly coaches put in more time, even if you include offseason training, than players.

I am wondering how much offensive assistants are paid.  Based on stories some people in front offices and coaching staffs have given until you actually get to be position coach the money is not great but neither is the money for being on practice squad.

Do you think Webb still dreams of getting to play in actual NFL game before he becomes a coach?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Warcodered said:

LQyEXQL.jpg

I don’t understand all the negativity towards the kid , he wasn’t spectacular but he did ok for what he had to work with and actually made Stevenson look pretty good 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is clear he has more value than most 3rd string QBs; Jim Kelly and Frank Reich said same kind of things about Alex Van Pelt and he is an OC now.

Clearly coaches put in more time, even if you include offseason training, than players.

I am wondering how much offensive assistants are paid.  Based on stories some people in front offices and coaching staffs have given until you actually get to be position coach the money is not great but neither is the money for being on practice squad.

Do you think Webb still dreams of getting to play in actual NFL game before he becomes a coach?

That's a great question. And I would say that if he didn't, he would just be a fraud. And I don't think he is.

The thing of it is: I don't know that Webb sees himself as a starter in the league. If he does, he knows it won't be as a Bill. But the role he has carved out for himself is really quite remarkable. I can't think of another backup, let alone a QB, competing for a #3 position, that has contributed as much value to a team as Webb. 

I think he dreams of a moment where he gets to step into Josh's shoes, and continue the same sort of momentum that Josh carries. And I think that, along with his established leadership traits, makes him an ideal backup for Josh-- Assuming he has the ability to manage the Bills offense. I think his performance yesterday went a long way in establishing that.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Fromm has no footwork at all.  Flat footed.  He will be cut.  Bobby Hart should have been left in Detroit.  He could have gotten 2 of out QB's hurt last night. 

He’s a freaking 5th round rookie who still needs work and good coaching , you want to cut the kid who only has two series under his belt , 
I don’t know how they allowed Bobby Hart on the plane back to Buffalo after that performance , I do agree they’ve should have left his a$$ in Detroit 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Putin said:

He’s a freaking 5th round rookie who still needs work and good coaching , you want to cut the kid who only has two series under his belt , 
I don’t know how they allowed Bobby Hart on the plane back to Buffalo after that performance , I do agree they’ve should have left his a$$ in Detroit 

Always good to have a universal whipping boy on the team, it allows everyone else to slide under the radar.

• Like (+1) 1