We need to cut 5 players. Who are they?

WR Bug Howard

C Tyler Gauthier

DT Treyvon Hester

MLB Marquel Lee

WR (insert name here)  I want to go with Tanner Gentry (but the Josh thing) OR Brandon Powell (but with Stevenson banged up he probably

stays to final cutdown) OR Duke Williams (Beane gives him a chance to find another team and if he can't the "Duke" would be happy

to get a chance to come back for a PS spot if needed).

Way too many WRs currently on the roster (13) not to cut at least 1 and probably 2.

Need to give a good chance to look at the remaining guys.

Edit:  Duke news.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

CB - McCloud

LB - Adams

DT - Hester

OL - Gauthier 

OL - Gonzalez

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Saf- Tariq Thompson

DE- Mike Love

TE- Bug Howard

OL- Tyler Gauthier 

CB- Olijuah Griffin

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Devey

Bug

Jesus Christ, Powell

Beach Boy

Dick Gauthier

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Tyler Gauthier, C
Tariq Thompson, S

Bug Howard, TE

Marquel Lee, LB

Treyvon Hester, DT

Agree on Mike Love, think he fits the role of give him some extra time to make another teams roster

Disagree on T Thompson, thought he's looks decent

Wasn't McCloud the guy with the Int yesterday??  Think I'd hang onto him as maybe he has trade value??

I'd go;

Love

Howard

Devey

Hester

Powell  He also may be able to latch on elsewhere with some extra time

Hart is the wild card and to a lesser degree Love, Howard due to injuries in yesterdays game.  If some of these are serious may want to hang onto some of these guys for camp bodies the coming week, instead go with positions with the most depth and know they'd be gone by next week anyway.

I think a trade gets made with some of our depth guys and pick up a good backup OT.  If that happens then think Doyle somehow ends up on season ending IR, same could happen with Hamlin at S

On a side note, kind of funny how the system went a few years back with multiple cut down dates, to last could of years only one cut down date, now back the other way. 

I like it this way better as gives something to talk about  other than threads about the upcoming Ertz trade!

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree on Mike Love, think he fits the role of give him some extra time to make another teams roster

Disagree on T Thompson, thought he's looks decent

Wasn't McCloud the guy with the Int yesterday??  Think I'd hang onto him as maybe he has trade value??

I'd go;

Love

Howard

Devey

Hester

Powell  He also may be able to latch on elsewhere with some extra time

Hart is the wild card and to a lesser degree Love, Howard due to injuries in yesterdays game.  If some of these are serious may want to hang onto some of these guys for camp bodies the coming week, instead go with positions with the most depth and know they'd be gone by next week anyway.

I think a trade gets made with some of our depth guys and pick up a good backup OT.  If that happens then think Doyle somehow ends up on season ending IR, same could happen with Hamlin at S

On a side note, kind of funny how the system went a few years back with multiple cut down dates, to last could of years only one cut down date, now back the other way. 

I like it this way better as gives something to talk about  other than threads about the upcoming Ertz trade!

I get Thompson looks decent but you have to pair down the safeties at some point and he’s low man. Poyer, Hyde, Johnson, Hamlin, Thomas all will be or have a better shot at the roster. Only way I don’t see him cut this round is simply because Jaquan Johnson Is hurt and may not play and they need an extra body for the final preseason game 

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I get Thompson looks decent but you have to pair down the safeties at some point and he’s low man. Poyer, Hyde, Johnson, Hamlin, Thomas all will be or have a better shot at the roster. Only way I don’t see him cut this round is simply because Jaquan Johnson Is hurt and may not play and they need an extra body for the final preseason game 

Agree with the first three you listed, not sure if he's behind Thomas or Hamlin??  He likely is only because they drafted Hamlin, will admit Hamlin looked better yesterday.

I don't see a CB, NCB or S getting cut this round.  Bills are thin (only 3 deep) on all backfield positions.

It seems to me there are a lot of 4 deep positions these cuts come from.

Now maybe a DB shakes loose they like and bring him in but only then will they cut someone.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Time to bump this because its that time again 5 more to get to 80

Hart

Devey

Powell

Hester

and Duke to get to 80

Fair to bump this one, I guess.

OK, Sal Capaccio's roster list, current as far as I know.

Take a look.  Also helpful to look at the snap counts for the Bears game.

Guys at the top of the depth chart who got no or few snaps may be "close to lock" status, but guys at the bottom of the depth chart who got few or no snaps, and those in the 4th Q, are potential cuts.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair to bump this one, I guess.

OK, Sal Capaccio's roster list, current as far as I know.

Take a look.  Also helpful to look at the snap counts for the Bears game.

Guys at the top of the depth chart who got no or few snaps may be "close to lock" status, but guys at the bottom of the depth chart who got few or no snaps, and those in the 4th Q, are potential cuts.

Marquel Lee is off of the Covid list, as per the 13 snaps he played vs Chicago. 

Just jumped out at me because I was curious who was on that list

On 8/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, MAJBobby said:

I don’t get the need to the 5 player cut down. And then a massive cut at the end. Just have a single cut day. Why make it so convoluted 

I believe the idea is to get guys a chance to get to other teams with time to still evaluate them.

We had several guys picked up to get a look and have a shot versus weaker guys on other teams.

12 hours ago, Philo said:

I'll take a shot at it...

OL Tyler Gauthier

OL Jordan Devey

LB Marquel Lee

TE Bug Howard

WR Tanner Gentry

I think Mike Love, DE and Trevon Hester DT get cut.  Neither of them played and it's not because they're considered "locks" nor have I heard about them as injured.

Bug Howard got 11% of the snaps (8) and again not because he's considered a "lock", so that's one where I agree with you.

With the number of WR they appear to want to "bubble wrap" I'm not sure we're cutting a WR.

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Marquel Lee is off of the Covid list, as per the 13 snaps he played vs Chicago. 

Just jumped out at me because I was curious who was on that list

I still think he was on the Covid list on the date of the tweet (8/15).  Steven Gonzalez was released to make room for him so maybe an updated chart would help.

Here's an updated chart...

E82Dj6GWQAADuob.thumb.png.a2ee75178c405ee07ebead56932c3d39.png

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I am pretty sure they want Tariq on the PS though. They usually make those cuts last. The next batch will be guys the Bills do not see being here long term. 

17 hours ago, Philo said:

I'll take a shot at it...

OL Tyler Gauthier

OL Jordan Devey

LB Marquel Lee

TE Bug Howard

WR Tanner Gentry

I think this is very close to the list that will go this week. One of Olaijah Griffin and Nick McCloud possibly if they want to keep one of the linemen to help protect their starters in game 3? Maybe I am wrong but I think ideally in the Bills mind the starting lineup for the Packers would be pretty much all backups:

QB Davis Webb

RB Matt Brieda

WR1 Brandon Powell

WR2 Duke Williams

WR3 Lance Lenoir

TE Nate Becker

LT Bobby Hart

LG Jack Anderson

C Jordan Devey

RG Jamil Douglas

RT Tommy Doyle (if healthy)

DE Boogie Basham

DT Brandin Bryant

DT Treyvon Hester

DE Darryl Johnson

LB Tyrell Adams

LB Joe Giles-Harris

LB Tyrel Dodson

CB Cam Lewis

S Damar Hamlin

S Josh Thomas

CB Rachad Wildgoose

Something like that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Mike Love, DE and Trevon Hester DT get cut.  Neither of them played and it's not because they're considered "locks" nor have I heard about them as injured.

Bug Howard got 11% of the snaps (8) and again not because he's considered a "lock", so that's one where I agree with you.

With the number of WR they appear to want to "bubble wrap" I'm not sure we're cutting a WR.

Those are both players I considered for this list but chose to leave them off. The reason being I think between Phillips' injury and potentially wanting to "bubble wrap" the young DEs who have already shown plenty, they may need DLine numbers against Green Bay.

14 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

If Tommy Doyle wasn't hurt, he would be cut.  He is terrible.  Worse than Hart.

I think they will want to get Doyle back on the PS and work with him and they won't have any problem doing that unless he just decides he would rather be on a PS elsewhere. Nobody is claiming him because he has, as you state, been at least as bad as Bobby Hart. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will want to get Doyle back on the PS and work with him and they won't have any problem doing that unless he just decides he would rather be on a PS elsewhere. Nobody is claiming him because he has, as you state, been at least as bad as Bobby Hart. 

Last year's 5th round pick made the team, but was kind of a special circumstance (Fromm, the Bubble QB)

2019 5th round pick Vosean Joseph was IR'd at the end of August and waived from IR in early September.

2018 5th round picks were Wyatt Teller (traded at the end of August in 2019 after starting at guard from week 10 on in 2018) and Siran Neal (who quickly became a ST starter as a rookie and has never looked back)

2017 5th round picks were Nathan Peterman (shudder) and Matt Milano (ahhhhh!).  Milano as a rookie was a ST regular and Peterman was the backup QB ahead of Cardale Jones and TJ Yates (Yikes!  those were the days - or, Maybe Not)

So a 5th round pick under McBeane has certainly not been assured of making the team but has made the opening day roster more often than not.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year's 5th round pick made the team, but was kind of a special circumstance (Fromm, the Bubble QB)

2019 5th round pick Vosean Joseph was IR'd at the end of August and waived from IR in early September.

2018 5th round picks were Wyatt Teller (traded at the end of August in 2019 after starting at guard from week 10 on in 2018) and Siran Neal (who quickly became a ST starter as a rookie and has never looked back)

2017 5th round picks were Nathan Peterman (shudder) and Matt Milano (ahhhhh!).  Milano as a rookie was a ST regular and Peterman was the backup QB ahead of Cardale Jones and TJ Yates (Yikes!  those were the days - or, Maybe Not)

So a 5th round pick under McBeane has certainly not been assured of making the team but has made the opening day roster more often than not.

I thought Joseph was only waived last September? Didn't he spent the full year on IR? Yea I think at the moment Doyle might make it just because he and Hart are both bad but he is cheaper, younger and still has room to improve. In an ideal world though I think McDermott and Beane would go with Spencer Brown and a vet as their backup tackles and sneak Doyle through to the PS (which based on his performances I think is easily manageable). Think it will depend on whether a functional just below average vet (what they were hoping Hart could be) pops out at cutdown time. 

While we are on the subject did you check if Lamp got any snaps on Saturday? I didn't notice him out there?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Really need to get another tackle from somewhere.  Hoping a vet becomes available that wants a run for a SB on the cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I still think he was on the Covid list on the date of the tweet (8/15).  Steven Gonzalez was released to make room for him so maybe an updated chart would help.

Here's an updated chart...

E82Dj6GWQAADuob.thumb.png.a2ee75178c405ee07ebead56932c3d39.png

Thanks, helpful!

So for what it's worth, I don't believe Mike Love and Treyvon Hester played a snap on Sunday.

For guys at the bottom of the roster, that's often a sign that the team has decided they aren't the answer and don't want to risk injury.

Tyler Gauthier played 21% of the snaps at Center.  Jordan Devey played 35% of the snaps at Center.   I'm unsure who was playing center when Webb had a fumble that appeared to be caused by a botched exchange - I think it was Gauthier.  One of these guys may be a candidate to "move on".  The other is likely to stay so we have a camp body center. 

I think Gauthier may be the better center, and is also young (24) and presumably could be developed, but they liked Devey (age 33) enough to keep him on the PS all last season, bring him up for a game, and bring him back.

I tend to think that having missed most of camp on the Covid-19 list, Marquise Lee may be a Turk candidate.

Bug Howard, a late signing, only played 8 snaps.  Unless they were spectacular snaps, he might be lin line to move along, but we are pretty thin at TE so there's that.

So, my guess:

Mike Love

Treyvon Hester

Bug Howard

Jordan Devey

Marquise Lee

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought Joseph was only waived last September? Didn't he spent the full year on IR? Yea I think at the moment Doyle might make it just because he and Hart are both bad but he is cheaper, younger and still has room to improve. In an ideal world though I think McDermott and Beane would go with Spencer Brown and a vet as their backup tackles and sneak Doyle through to the PS (which based on his performances I think is easily manageable). Think it will depend on whether a functional just below average vet (what they were hoping Hart could be) pops out at cutdown time. 

While we are on the subject did you check if Lamp got any snaps on Saturday? I didn't notice him out there?

Didn't see any snaps from Lamp.

I'm not sure he's been playing at all.  I had high hopes for him, but if you can't play you can't stay.  We seem to be getting more out of Jamil Douglas

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't see any snaps from Lamp.

I'm not sure he's been playing at all.  I had high hopes for him, but if you can't play you can't stay.  We seem to be getting more out of Jamil Douglas

yea thought as much. They may even cut bait with him this week then. Best ability is availability. 

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks, helpful!

So for what it's worth, I don't believe Mike Love and Treyvon Hester played a snap on Sunday.

For guys at the bottom of the roster, that's often a sign that the team has decided they aren't the answer and don't want to risk injury.

Tyler Gauthier played 21% of the snaps at Center.  Jordan Devey played 35% of the snaps at Center.   I'm unsure who was playing center when Webb had a fumble that appeared to be caused by a botched exchange - I think it was Gauthier.  One of these guys may be a candidate to "move on".  The other is likely to stay so we have a camp body center. 

I think Gauthier may be the better center, and is also young (24) and presumably could be developed, but they liked Devey (age 33) enough to keep him on the PS all last season, bring him up for a game, and bring him back.

I tend to think that having missed most of camp on the Covid-19 list, Marquise Lee may be a Turk candidate.

Bug Howard, a late signing, only played 8 snaps.  Unless they were spectacular snaps, he might be lin line to move along, but we are pretty thin at TE so there's that.

So, my guess:

Mike Love

Treyvon Hester

Bug Howard

Jordan Devey

Marquise Lee

They were using Bates at center too and that makes every other center but Morse expendable.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

yea thought as much. They may even cut bait with him this week then. Best ability is availability. 

Lamp not being able to sustain the momentum of playing all 16 games last season is a disappointment.

Talent-wise,  he might be their best OG.........was hoping he'd lock up that LG spot for this season.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lamp not being able to sustain the momentum of playing all 16 games last season is a disappointment.

Talent-wise,  he might be their best OG.........was hoping he'd lock up that LG spot for this season.

Agree. I had a borderline 1st on him coming out and I grade very few interior linemen that high. Shame. 

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

They were using Bates at center too and that makes every other center but Morse expendable.

At final cutdowns, Yes.  But to get through the remaining practices with an expanded roster/4 QB and the final preseason game - no.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I had hopes for him to provide a healthy dose of competition at Guard as well, and also some hopes for Jamil Douglas.

But you can't compete if you can't play. 

Agree, disappointing.

20 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe the idea is to get guys a chance to get to other teams with time to still evaluate them.

We had several guys picked up to get a look and have a shot versus weaker guys on other teams.

I agree, but the players cut at these first 2 cut downs are probably your 81st thru 90th ranked players, or close to it.  Teams are not likely to cut guys that are on the bubble for making the team until the last cut.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

I agree, but the players cut at these first 2 cut downs are probably your 81st thru 90th ranked players, or close to it.  Teams are not likely to cut guys that are on the bubble for making the team until the last cut.

Agreed, but the the Bills had 3 guys they cut last week got picked up by other teams and if even 1 of those guys makes a final 53 - the NFLPA gets what it wants with early cuts.

Now we have 5 more guys that are probably better than some other teams guys.

Plus it allows a team with injuries to scrape up some needed help prior to each game.

None of these guys most likely make it, but it gives them a better chance to get on roster or a PS than if they sat with the original team until the end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed, but the the Bills had 3 guys they cut last week got picked up by other teams and if even 1 of those guys makes a final 53 - the NFLPA gets what it wants with early cuts.

Now we have 5 more guys that are probably better than some other teams guys.

Plus it allows a team with injuries to scrape up some needed help prior to each game.

None of these guys most likely make it, but it gives them a better chance to get on roster or a PS than if they sat with the original team until the end.

Curious, which of the guys we cut got picked up?

08/15  Released DT Eli Ankou, LB Mike Bell, OL Caleb Benenoch, OL Marquel Harrell and OL Syrus Tuitele.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Curious, which of the guys we cut got picked up?

08/15  Released DT Eli Ankou, LB Mike Bell, OL Caleb Benenoch, OL Marquel Harrell and OL Syrus Tuitele.

I heard both Harrell and Benenoch were picked up and Ankou was brought in for a tryout.

Yep - Benenoch to Saints, Harrell to the Panthers, and Ankou was signed by the Falcons.

3 of our 5 cuts were immediately signed by other teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Link to official website by me.

Matt Parrino

#Bills have released Duke Williams with a waived/injury designation and have placed Forrest Lamp on IR, ending his season. 

The team also announced it’s signed RB Kerrith Whyte and CB Tim Harris.

Don’t think we’ll see Singletary/Moss/Breida vs. GB.

4:03 PM · Aug 23, 2021 from Niagara Falls, NY

So those are two players (Duke, Lamp) which are taken off cut 5 list and two other players need to be cut.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Link to official website by me.

So those are two players (Duke, Lamp) which are taken off cut 5 list and two other players need to be cut.

which loosely translates into they absolutely positively know the five guys they are going to cut if they cut two and still brought two in.

….like they are not even struggling who the cuts are.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

On 8/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, ColoradoBills said:

WR Bug Howard

C Tyler Gauthier

DT Treyvon Hester

MLB Marquel Lee

WR (insert name here)  I want to go with Tanner Gentry (but the Josh thing) OR Brandon Powell (but with Stevenson banged up he probably

stays to final cutdown) OR Duke Williams (Beane gives him a chance to find another team and if he can't the "Duke" would be happy

to get a chance to come back for a PS spot if needed).

Way too many WRs currently on the roster (13) not to cut at least 1 and probably 2.

Need to give a good chance to look at the remaining guys.

Edit to adjust to the "Duke" news.