Training Camp media and practice 8/11

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I'll consider it.

appreciate your consideration.
Opinions might change as the season goes along.
and you just have to consider that Trade offer.
 But i prefer a player we need vs a player they need.

for now.

:)

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Playoff football.  I think Andy Reid who has had a lot more experience post season understood that better then the Bills.  Remember the Bills-Washington Super Bowl, that was the reason why we lost, imo.  They brutalized our receivers and we had no answer (except a penalty on Reed for losing his cool),

Yeah, he two hand slammed his helmet after a PI no call at the end of the 2nd quarter.  Levy told one of them they had been bought as the headed to the half time locker room.  The official said something about equal opportunity for the ball but Brad Edwards played right through Andre.  It's at 1:31:02 of this video.  I feel the need to enlighten the younger TBD members about the past.

Andre spikes helmet

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hopefully Trubisky looks really good in preseason. If he signs a nice contract next year we could get a good comp pick back. I'm not usually a comp pick obsessionist but at this stage of our team building we should start getting those.

I'm hoping that the Bills give Trubisky a 2-3 year contract extension during the season, just to spite all the other NFL teams.

You want Trubisky? It will cost you. :devil:

• Awesome! (+1) 2

OH, now.  This is going to cause some controversies here on TBD:

Offense.  No shocks in the starters. Click to Embiggen:

image.thumb.png.6dd6da94a1db33bcfd1616547c2c28ce.png

Kumerow ahead of Hodgins (#2 behind Diggs, vs #3 behind Manny Sands) and Duke Williams, and the latter ahead of Marquez Stevenson.

Jamil Douglas way up there on the list - right behind Jon Feliciano - and Forrest Lamp ahead of Jack Anderson.

If we keep Lamp or Douglas and Anderson turns out to be good, I can hear the explosions now.

Defense.  Only list 2 LB as starters, which is admitting to what they actually do as their base D (finally)

image.thumb.png.45c6a1e9a643a820480bff1c7639c1cc.png

Dodson ahead of Matakevich, which I did NOT see from last season but maybe he was injured and got healed.

Obada ahead of Bam Johnson

Butler ahead of Harrison Phillips (even though Butler has been out with a concussion)

Rousseau ahead of Basham.

Damar Hamlin ahead of Josh Thomas.

Of course, very fluid at this stage but still interesting as representing our first (possible) glimpse of how the coaches see things currently.

11 minutes ago, wjag said:

Thanks.

That's my major concern with Sanders is durability.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Same. It’s not looking good. Offense was really a lot better when JB was healthy last year— they need a healthy 2 out there. 

Never fear!! If Sanders can't go the great Duke Williams will step in and offense won't miss a beat.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OH, now.  This is going to cause some controversies here on TBD:

Offense.  No shocks in the starters. Click to Embiggen:

image.thumb.png.6dd6da94a1db33bcfd1616547c2c28ce.png

Kumerow ahead of Hodgins (#2 behind Diggs, vs #3 behind Manny Sands) and Duke Williams, and the latter ahead of Marquez Stevenson.

Jamil Douglas way up there on the list - right behind Jon Feliciano - and Forrest Lamp ahead of Jack Anderson.

If we keep Lamp or Douglas and Anderson turns out to be good, I can hear the explosions now.

Defense.  Only list 2 LB as starters, which is admitting to what they actually do as their base D (finally)

image.thumb.png.45c6a1e9a643a820480bff1c7639c1cc.png

Dodson ahead of Matakevich, which I did NOT see from last season but maybe he was injured and got healed.

Obada ahead of Bam Johnson

Butler ahead of Harrison Phillips (even though Butler has been out with a concussion)

Rousseau ahead of Basham.

Damar Hamlin ahead of Josh Thomas.

Of course, very fluid at this stage but still interesting as representing our first (possible) glimpse of how the coaches see things currently.

Thanks.

That's my major concern with Sanders is durability.

I don’t see Forrest Lamp listed anywhere.

7 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I wouldn't trade Trubisky for anything less than a high 3rd. Not this year with this team.

It would need to be a #1, this team is going for it this season, and to trade our QB2 for anything less would not be worth it imo, and I still don’t think I would do it.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

3 hours ago, wjag said:

13:20 mark or so...

Thanks.  I couldn't get it to play on Facebook, but I found it on Twitter:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MnxnlMzgkEGO?t=6s

in case the Facebook thing didn't work for someone else.

So it sounds as though it might be the same "foot" injury, in which case the question is will they be able to get it healed up completely before the season, or is it actually something that needs surgery in which case it would be better to shut him down right now and take care of it and hope to get him back as the season heats up.

The good (???) news for the Bills is that his salary is completely guaranteed as of right now, so he has no motivation to kind of hide things and hope to be on the opening-day roster and get his guarantees.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks.  I couldn't get it to play on Facebook, but I found it on Twitter:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MnxnlMzgkEGO?t=6s

in case the Facebook thing didn't work for someone else.

So it sounds as though it might be the same "foot" injury, in which case the question is will they be able to get it healed up completely before the season, or is it actually something that needs surgery in which case it would be better to shut him down right now and take care of it and hope to get him back as the season heats up.

The good (???) news for the Bills is that his salary is completely guaranteed as of right now, so he has no motivation to kind of hide things and hope to be on the opening-day roster and get his guarantees.

I'm being completely serious when I say I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the team. He's been banged up most of his career and has a long history of leg, ankle, and foot injuries. If he's not going to be healthy he's not worth the roster spot given what our WR room looks like.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm being completely serious when I say I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make the team. He's been banged up most of his career and has a long history of leg, ankle, and foot injuries. If he's not going to be healthy he's not worth the roster spot given what our WR room looks like.

I am not familiar with the details of any reported injuries that didn't cause him to miss time.

He played 17 regular season games on 2 teams in 2019.

He played 14 of 16 games in 2020, but the 2 games he missed were due to the covid-19 list, not to injury

So in the previous 2 years, that would be 0 games missed due to injury.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If I'm reading his contract details correctly I think he's safe considering it cost more to cut him (5.9 million) than keep him (4.6 million).

Looking ahead to the preseason game versus Detroit, it's a different feeling this year.  In the past, I think there was always some concern about starters getting a little work to get ready for the season, balanced against the concern over the possibility of injury.  This year there seems to be far less pressure to get starters ready for the season.  They already look ready.  There is also far less of a sense that we should expect poor sloppy football with reserves on the field.  Instead, Buffalo has a backup QB who has ample starting experience, and actually looked like a starter when he was doing it.  We have a receiver group in which the 4th through 7th receivers all look they could compete to start on some other teams.  There will be five defensive ends in the game (not necessarily at the same time) who seem to have a lot of promise even without the grizzled vets.  The linebackers look far deeper than most expected a few months ago.  In short, this is a team where we're not afraid of how the team will look with lots of depth players in the game.  A few years ago, I think there was a far greater expectation of groan worthy play in the preseason.

That's what I think.  We'll see if I'm right, but I think Buffalo handles Detroit.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I don’t see Forrest Lamp listed anywhere.

You got to look deep down the list ..... which is a bit of a surprise for me, didn't he start every game for the Chargers last year? I'll take that as a good thing, the Bills are deeper at online than we think?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

going into camp, I had Sanders as my “surprise cut” based mostly on concerns over injury and that he seemed to be right on the edge of jumping the shark.

But from all these camp reports, when he has been healthy in camp so far, he has looked really good— so it seems like they may stick with him despite the injury risks. Will really hurt us if he is banged up like this all year. 

53 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

going into camp, I had Sanders as my “surprise cut” based mostly on concerns over injury and that he seemed to be right on the edge of jumping the shark.

But from all these camp reports, when he has been healthy in camp so far, he has looked really good— so it seems like they may stick with him despite the injury risks. Will really hurt us if he is banged up like this all year. 

Yeah that would be more than a surprise, it would be a shock imo. When thinking who gets released, even a "surprise "release...Sanders isn't even a maybe imo. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am not familiar with the details of any reported injuries that didn't cause him to miss time.

He played 17 regular season games on 2 teams in 2019.

He played 14 of 16 games in 2020, but the 2 games he missed were due to the covid-19 list, not to injury

So in the previous 2 years, that would be 0 games missed due to injury.

That's fine, he's also had ankle surgery, a torn Achilles, and stress fractures in both of his feet multiple times. If he's having another foot problem right now that doesn't bode well at all regardless of what he's had the last two years.

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The injury concern is overblown given he has not missed a game to injury the past two years, and that he has missed a total of 14 games in 11 seasons of his career.  However, at his age, it is certainly possible, but that is what the depth is for.  When healthy, other than Diggs and Beasley, the Bills have no other WR in the same class as Sanders.  Not even close at this point, while they do have some potential.  Sanders is far better than Brown was and the Bills needed that upgrade.  If he does go down, I feel confident that a combination of Davis, Kumerow, and Hodgins can fill the void, but make no mistake, Sanders is more dynamic than any of those options.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

That's fine, he's also had ankle surgery, a torn Achilles, and stress fractures in both of his feet multiple times. If he's having another foot problem right now that doesn't bode well at all regardless of what he's had the last two years.

Buffalo Rumblings did a nice post on Sanders injury history.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/18/22335277/injury-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-emmanuel-sanders-2021-nfl-free-agency

The bottom line is that for much of his career he missed 0 games despite some pretty serious injuries (cracked rib etc)

You make it sound as though foot injuries has been a persistent issue his whole career.  He had foot problems requiring surgery his rookie season and problems with stress fractures/inflammation in the foot the following season, but none since then.  It hasn't been an issue since his 2nd season in the league and was probably due to rushing back from the foot surgeries as a rookie.

He's played through some pretty bad injuries, and has missed games with a collection of common football injuries - meniscus tear in the knee, ankle sprain eventually requiring a tightrope procedure, torn Achilles.

I'm not saying the repeated absences from training camp are good.  They're not, and they're worrying me.  But there's precedent for him missing preseason but playing the entire season, and he hasn't had foot problems the last 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He's being advertised as good as Sanders? Or even a solid #2? 

I don't think so...

Maybe not, but all I've heard is how good he's been in camp, and this is the same guy Rodgers praised, so who knows. He'll probably get alot of playing time tomorrow night, so we'll see I guess 

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The foot "injury" is a bit of concern to me too.  I'm all for having him on the Bills and it seems to me right now they are being very cautious.

I do believe if healthy during the season he still will get spelled a lot from Davis to keep him as fresh as possbile.