Colin Cowherd on Allen...

cage

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Bear in mind that 90 plus percent of these guys and gals are NOT experts in any way shape or form. 
basically they are Sh-t talkers like one sees at the local pub, 

I resemble that shirt talker comment.  Just kidding as you’re right.

I will say for quite sometime we’ve had the following as Allen supporters to some degree.

Adam Schein

Kyle Brandt

Mel Kiper

Colin Cowherd has come around

Ross Tucker 

Chris Mortensen

Im sure there are more, but just thinking nationally, not local of course.  Ross is kinda a homer, but he doesn’t have a hard time reporting critical things of us so in my book he’s included.  He was very guarded on JA in 18 when he was still on NFLR.  He came around a bit in 19 and really came on board in 20.  That’s fine with me for any National reporter.  Just give the guy a fair shot

I see Cowherd as a guy who is smart and doesn’t want to be the last on the bus.  Holding onto old takes is stupid so he’s jumping on the JA17 bus.  Good for him.

Watch how many bandwagon guys make a 180 this year and act like it was some revelation of 2020 and didn’t see anything in 18-19.  Those are the guys that are tools.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Fair points. And so mine would be, is it too much to ask somebody that’s getting paid to talk about certain players in front of the masses to do a quick Google search on a players numbers before saying he sucked? 

And half those people still say “but I wasn’t wrong about his first 2 years.” 

…. Yes you friggin were. Take 2 seconds to go back and figure out how you coulda been so off the mark about a guy. You’re freaking paid to talk about sports. Geez. 

Agree 💯.  

The biggest problem with being a mainstream sports talking head, imo, is that there are far too many games being played to keep up with what really happened in the field and not just the highlights.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

Joy, as in Joy TAYLOR, sister of Jason Taylor formerly of the Dolphins? She might have a bit of bias against the Bills in general I would think. Agree on Cowturd though. He's the one who made the bet with that screeching bum Nick Wright, and won of course, because he was coming around to Allen being legit. 

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Cowherd is just a front runner. He realizes that league and media perception shifted to recognizing Allen’s place among the best. This guy hasn’t had an original thought his entire career. This new take allows him to say he’s right, and cover the market for rabid Bills fans. He used to sing the Pats and NY team praises because he wanted the large market. That’s back when he said the Midwest and its people are worthless, and only big market teams matter. Cowturd is really good at taking the popular position. 

I haven't listened to him in years. But, when I did he was always very upfront that he plays to the big markets. Of course, they all do what it takes to get ratings, that's how they get paid. He was at least honest and would say he could care less about anything that isn't going to bring in large number of listeners. To that end, he possibly sees that even though Buffalo is small it has rabid fans and that Josh, being a very likable player, will appeal to a larger audience.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No but there are countries that pay soccer stars $148.5 million a year to play striker(Messi's last contract with Barcelona...$594 million over 4 years), and NBA stars make close to $50 a year now...

I think there's a big difference. Not about pay, but about opportunity. 

Professional and national soccer teams all over the world hunt for kids with talent starting in elementary school. And they hire them to play at youth academies. So many kids are given the opportunity to develop their skills and rise to the top.

For potential NFL qb's, the path is much much narrower. There's only 32 starting jobs in the world. And at any given time, only the top 10-15 players at the qb position have job security. Where as they are over 20 professional soccer leagues, each with 20 teams, and then multiple minor leagues below them which can win their way into the top flight (MLS excluded.) 

All of this just to say that Josh Allen took the road less traveled. His story truly is one in a million... Or is it one in a billion?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His point in that segment was that Lavonte David was #100 which was way too low (correct) and his argument against Josh was unravels a bit in games v the Pats and in the playoff loss. None of that was untrue at the point he said it. I think the "not in the top 200" thing was a bit of hyperbole and I agree ridiculous but the nuance behind his argument was not so ridiculous.

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think, in context, it was accurate to say Josh didn’t belong in the top 100 after that season.  Now after last year.. there’s just no arguing he’s one of the best at the biggest position of impact.  To me, if I were building a team, purely on performance, he would be my #2 choice as things stand right now. Now if I were building a team and I had to coach it or just generally be around it, he’s my number 1 pick.  Maholmes is the better performer thus far, but JA is close and his attitude/work ethic/general likability, it’s great to be a fan of.

Yeah, the context of his argument at the time wasn't wrong, but people probably disliked HOW he said it. I never understood why people got so bent out of shape when someone's opinion changes over time though. It happens to you, it happens to me, it happens to everyone on the planet. I understand it when people talk in absolutes, like "Allen will NEVER be good," or "there's ZERO chance the Bills EVER win a Super Bowl!" then sure, throw that in that person's face when they're wrong.

But acting like Allen was guaranteed to turn out to great is flat wrong, and does a disservice to Allen. Even with what Cowherd said, he wasn't guaranteed anything... he had to really work at it. His continued dedication to improving, the hours he put in the film room, along with the support of the organization & coaches, all helped get him here. The time he put in during the last offseason especially, the dude EARNED it. He wasn't a sure-fire-hit, he wasn't tearing it up in college, he wasn't a day-1 savant... Which imo makes it even more impressive. 

There's very few instances (almost none that I can recall), of a QB drafted on potential, size, arm strength, etc. who weren't elite in college, weren't filling up stat sheets, and were so raw, being turned into top tier QB's once they began playing at the highest level in the NFL. And to have a team notorious for crappy QB play/development like the Bills develop the guy? THAT is amazing. How many teams in the future will go this route & completely bomb? Probably a ton.

Hell, even Mahomes was seen as questionable. Many thought he was a system QB at Texas Tech, only with a great arm & athletic talent. Then in his first year as a starter, guy throws 50 TD's & is an MVP. QB's like Mahomes & Allen weren't Andrew Luck. Many people were going to be wrong in one way or another about them. After Allen's 2nd season, I still thought big games got into his head & lead to him making bizarre choices. His deep ball accuracy was among the worst in the league after 2 years, and not because people were dropping passes. He'd miss guys who had beaten their man & were wide open, or he'd rely on his mobility to keep a play alive & take huge, unnecessary sacks. 

Then the guy who couldn't beat you passing or throw for 300 yards shows up in year 3 & starts throwing for nearly 400, has nearly 70% accuracy & is nailing the deep ball to anyone he wants. You could literally see the fruits of his labor paying off before your eyes. And aside from the TN & KC games, he didn't disappoint in big games either.

TL;DR - All I'm saying with this rant is Allen deserves the praise, the money and the attention because he worked his ass off & EARNED it!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

There's very few instances (almost none that I can recall), of a QB drafted on potential, size, arm strength, etc. who weren't elite in college, weren't filling up stat sheets, and were so raw, being turned into top tier QB's once they began playing at the highest level in the NFL.

Maybe "suck for Luck"?

6 hours ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

Joy thinks he’s a racist and hates him because of the Twitter stuff when he was a child. She can’t get over it. She’s petty

34 minutes ago, LanderPoke said:

Joy thinks he’s a racist and hates him because of the Twitter stuff when he was a child. She can’t get over it. She’s petty

That's not an uncommon take among people who don't like Josh/begrudgingly give him credit.  Can anyone remind me what he posted back then?

7 hours ago, cage said:

Great perspective on why Allen's story is special...

Cowherd is a complete joke.  Last year, during mid-season he said Allen wasn't even the best QB in the AFC East. Now he's riding his ****. I had covid and did nothing, but watch ESPN/NFL Network while I was quarantined and the amount of BS he said about Allen was hilarious. I hope someday somebody goes back and makes a video of all his stupid quotes that turned into BS. 😡

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Cowherd is a complete joke.  Last year, during mid-season he said Allen wasn't even the best QB in the AFC East. Now he's riding his ****. I had covid and did nothing, but watch ESPN/NFL Network while I was quarantined and the amount of BS he said about Allen was hilarious. I hope someday somebody goes back and makes a video of all his stupid quotes that turned into BS. 😡

The 2020 season? Cowherd was in on Allen from the get go after his hot start. I do, however, remember Nick Wright claiming Allen wasn’t the best qb in the division after Tua got inserted for the fins. 

Cowherd was all in on Allen through the whole stretch run last year. I think you have your talking heads mixed up 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The 2020 season? Cowherd was in on Allen from the get go after his hot start. I do, however, remember Nick Wright claiming Allen wasn’t the best qb in the division after Tua got inserted for the fins. 

Nah, bro. I'm not denying that he wasn't "in" on Allen, but during the playoff push where we were almost neck & neck w/ Miami, he said the Bills & Allen might not be the best team/QB in the division. I remember it clear as day and I'll try to find a link later if I can. I used the wrong words. He wasn't saying Allen was bad, he was just a lot higher on Tua and Miami as a team. He said it multiple times. Just another stupid "hot take." 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I think there's a big difference. Not about pay, but about opportunity. 

Professional and national soccer teams all over the world hunt for kids with talent starting in elementary school. And they hire them to play at youth academies. So many kids are given the opportunity to develop their skills and rise to the top.

For potential NFL qb's, the path is much much narrower. There's only 32 starting jobs in the world. And at any given time, only the top 10-15 players at the qb position have job security. Where as they are over 20 professional soccer leagues, each with 20 teams, and then multiple minor leagues below them which can win their way into the top flight (MLS excluded.) 

All of this just to say that Josh Allen took the road less traveled. His story truly is one in a million... Or is it one in a billion?

There are also far fewer kids competing for those NFL QB jobs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That's not an uncommon take among people who don't like Josh/begrudgingly give him credit.  Can anyone remind me what he posted back then?

"If it ain't white, it ain't right."