Afghanistan

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The interaction of the tin foil hat and the crazy pills are there to be certain, but I’m positive there is something we are all missing here.

The industrial military complex idea while certainly not an ethical or moral stretch, there is just not enough money (at least officially on the books) imo involved for what has been a protracted policing and half hearted infrastructure propping up exercise to justify this as a means to that end. And the enemy was so low tech it justified little. 

Weve had 13 years since the usgs dubbed the trillions of natural resources in the ground. Other than a couple barreled of oil and some boxite I’m not sure what is coming out. 

The poppy fields might be something but I don’t know how that turns into inflows.  

Everyone likes to blame the military complex but that’s not where the money has spent as of the last decade or more. We’ve expended very few planes, bullets, vehicles, or missiles, etc over the past ten years in Afghanistan. I believe if you actually looked at the books you’d find that the majority of our expenditures have been restocking the shelves at home following the FIRST ten years. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone likes to blame the military complex but that’s not where the money has spent as of the last decade or more. We’ve expended very few planes, bullets, vehicles, or missiles, etc over the past ten years in Afghanistan. I believe if you actually looked at the books you’d find that the majority of our expenditures have been restocking the shelves at home following the FIRST ten years. 

Yes that’s my point, the money spent in Afghanistan just doesn’t pass the sniff test to me. Not enough money spent, not enough money coming out. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TSOL said:

I bet they take them to the US, we take in refugees. Especially in catastrophic humanitarian stuff like this. 

This is how it works.  We invade, then we get invaded.

If I told you 15 years ago that the end result of the war in Afghanistan would be that we decide to establish enclaves of islamists on US soil, you'd have slapped me in the face.  But here we are.

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes that’s my point, the money spent in Afghanistan just doesn’t pass the sniff test to me. Not enough money spent, not enough money coming out. 

Well shitloads of it went to fund bribery and corruption, so there's that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He did take ‘full responsibility’ though. That’s always the best way. Hilary was a master of it. 

What I cannot understand about the President is why does he always present himself as being mad at America? It seems like every time he steps to the microphone he’s ticked off for having to explain himself. Are ‘We The People’ bothering you Joe?

I agree with this.  He's annoyed that he isn't driving a big rig full of Hunter's crappy art to an auction filled with wealthy Ukrainian oil moguls.  Annoyed that he has to be President instead.  What a mess.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I think it has way more to do with the fact that the U.S. intelligence community became much better at their jobs after 9/11: improvements in immigration vetting processes, stronger communication between different intelligence agencies, and better collaboration with other countries. The widespread adoption of social media since the mid-2000’s has also made terrorist activities more transparent. And no, none of this should be interpreted as any endorsement of Patriot Act mischief!

The specious war theory that “we fight them over there so we don’t have to fight them here” validates all sorts of horrible aggressive acts. The notion that we can just funnel terror like that also doesn’t hold up, for example, when you take our allies into consideration who are not separated from Muslim countries by oceans (see: Syria, mid-2010’s, effects of European migration crisis). Our military presence in Muslim countries like Afghanistan is doing nothing productive for us in the long-term war on terror. It is the primary source of recruitment for radical Islamic terrorism. But even if we immediately evacuated all of our Middle East military bases, our propping up of various dictatorships and monarchies like the House of Saud still fosters extreme discontent among oppressed Muslims.

Sort of my main thesis here: American empire, in whatever manifestation, creates unwanted blowback such as radical Islamic terrorism. My solution: stop all forms of regime change, stop all coups, stop all unilateral embargos and sanctions, no banana republics either, keep emerging Chinese imperialism (they’re doing it in a unique way…with indebtedness through infrastructure projects) in check with multilateral trade deals, stop carrying out ~95% of drone strikes, close down ~75% of all U.S. military bases worldwide for starters, and immediately trim ~33% of the defense budget (which would still be double China’s). Use that money to reinvest in America. Make America the best domestic version of itself and thus the envy of the rest of the world. Spread American ideals abroad by way of example, living as awesome peaceful people and not greedy bullies. Pro-democracy and pro-capitalism revolutions are almost always best carried out by a country’s own citizens. We can inspire and encourage from afar, but their internal will must be there.

Yeah, there’s something very convenient about such a poorly executed troop withdrawal like the one we’re seeing. It showcases the human rights horror potential of the opposing regime in rapid succession. This can generate a humanitarian-themed rallying effect among the American public for returning troops. The military-industrial complex knows that war has become increasingly unpopular with the American people since the mid-2000’s, so maybe this is their new way of perpetuating the racket. Or maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight. I dunno. I feel like I’m taking CRAZY PILLS. Sociopathic oligarchs don’t think like the rest of us, so I don’t want to put it past them. We do have conclusive evidence that the government has misled us throughout the Afghanistan conflict (see: SIGAR Afghanistan Papers, 2019, Washington Post).

I never read your full posts.  Does not fit with my ADD but you mentioned we’ve done a better job of immigration vetting. Questions. Have you seen our southern border lately and no one has (at least I’ve not seen a response) told me where these planes full of Afghani refugees are going.  And how have they been vetted? 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I never read your full posts.  Does not fit with my ADD but you mentioned we’ve done a better job of immigration vetting. Questions. Have you seen our southern border lately and no one has (at least I’ve not seen a response) told me where these planes full of Afghani refugees are going.  And how have they been vetted? 

At least there not a plane full of white supremacists.  

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He did take ‘full responsibility’ though. That’s always the best way. Hilary was a master of it. 

What I cannot understand about the President is why does he always present himself as being mad at America? It seems like every time he steps to the microphone he’s ticked off for having to explain himself. Are ‘We The People’ bothering you Joe?

Biden probably didn't start out thinking he was political royalty, but a few decades of having everyone around you kiss your a$$ and tell you how great you are seems to lead to that sort of thinking.  He's never liked being questioned by the folks in steerage, he's famous for challenging people to IQ tests and donut pushup contests.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You made it in 17 words before the “but”, and the old expression about “everything that comes after but” applies here.  

You’ve been quite vocal in your confidence in Biden’s cognitive ability in spite of some obvious signs of decline.  You’ve rationalized away his penchant for nuzzling ears, sniffing hair and taking substantial liberties with his hands when women victimized by such activity have stated loudly that it was wrong.  You’ve carried his baggage on the “Joe Knows COVID” while he twitters about with a strategy best described as “We know it’s killing people but jeeesh, what can I do, I’m just a President” while personally espousing some rather dark thoughts on how you think your fellow citizens might be treated in this country that stands for freedom.  

When does it stop for you, sir? 

While it’s entirely fair to say Afghanistan is an incredibly complex situation, the facts here are clear—a man with nearly 50 years of leadership experience at the highest levels of our government, with decades of exposure to the finest military strategists, the intelligence community, historians and the like &$@#ed whatever progress was made in 7 months.  

7 months.  

Of course, there were people who recognized that before Biden became a doddering old fool, he was a knucklehead of the highest order for most of that time.  Proud, strong  Democrat voters of the past rejected him as a serious candidate multiple times, and I’d think our parents and grandparents, mostly gone now, would look at the coronation of this simpleton and wonder “What on earth were they thinking?”. 

I do agree with you and @reddogblitz that the vacation is irrelevant, just as it is for every president. Sadly, I agree at some point he’ll want to send troops back in to Afghanistan because during his 50 year tenure, he’s supported the lather, rinse, repeat cycle just like a good establishment politician is prone to do. 

You can’t read.  I have suspected that for a while.  I used to think you deliberately lied about my posts and others, but the truth now seems apparent.  You just can’t read.

So I will repeat, and expand upon earlier comments.  Biden screwed the pooch on this.  The actions taken to abandon Afghanistan without ensuring that Americans in country and Afghans that have supported us over 20 years were evacuated are reprehensible and will stain our country for years to come.  Biden has full and total responsibility for that, and will have to live with the deaths to come over the next days.  Americans should, must, hold him responsible.

But, and yes there is a but, progress in Afghanistan?  Don’t make me laugh.  The last 4 administrations have screwed this up.  Trying to negotiate with the Taliban, trying to prop up puppet governments that never had the will to fight for their own country.  We never did what America should have done; stand up for the values that made us a superpower.  Stand up for the rights of the women and girls in that country.  Stand up for good against evil.  I have said this morning and will say so again; Bush should have done what his father did in Iraq and gone in with overwhelming military force and recruited our allies to do so with us.  The Taliban should have been wiped out then and there, and because he didn’t Obama should have, and because Obama didn’t Trump should have, and because Trump didn’t Biden should have.  Instead Afghans were given the illusion that things were OK.  Women and girls were given the illusion they could be educated and have place in society.  Muslims who did not share in the irrational militant views of the Taliban were given false assurance that they would be safe.  And all that time the Taliban waited, because they knew they would win because we along with the laughable Afghan government did not want to win.

Instead waking up today our country looks feckless and weak.  Biden owns his part in it, the pathetic excuse for a withdrawl.  Previous leaders join Biden in owning their part, thinking you can use diplomacy and limited military to deal with an irrational enemy determined to destroy us.   You don’t negotiate with irrational thugs, you destroy them.  We’ll be back in Afghanistan soon; the Taliban will soon start their genocide and the terrorist groups will start forming again.  God hopes that when that day Biden will act like a Commander in Chief when it does and do the job.  And if not we need a President that will.  And a

country that backs him or her.

Edited by oldmanfan

Aside from the weird strawmanning and refusal to acknowledge the failure of his top guys in this mess, the Biden speech wasn't terrible.  "American troops cannot and should not be fighting in a war and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves."  Based

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He took “full responsibility” for leaving, nothing more than that. 

34 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Well shitloads of it went to fund bribery and corruption, so there's that.  

Yeah like that 43 million dollar gas station or whatever it was. 

the whole thing just seems impossible, the hasty withdrawal, and overnight collapse.

there is only like 4000 troops there, and no combat fatalities in 18 months. 

we didn’t even finish the gas pipeline to subvert Russian exports. 

10 hours ago, Governor said:

The media already shifted back to the pandemic. That was even quicker than I thought. It’s already the 3rd or 4th leading story in just a day.

Oh well.

We’re well aware that the right has been looking for something to pounce on since they can’t seem to attack Biden successfully.

This was never going to be it. He turned it into a strength with that speech.

We’re onto  infrastructure!

Take your L and let’s move on.

LOL!  Yeah, I guess that's why his approval ratings, before this latest debacle, were below 50%.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Years ago I took over a terrible project from another manager.  After assessing the complete disaster I was persuaded by my manager and the project's business sponsor to push through with the original plan rather than pursue some other courses of action I proposed to them would give us a better chance of success.  But they talked me out of it while making it clear that switching approaches at this point would be bad optics.  So we proceeded as planned and ultimately the project failed miserably and was cancelled.  I took "full responsibility" for the failure but when it came time to cut staff in the organization I still got fired. 

So Biden taking responsibility is not really important in my eyes because the results are what matters and the results of his decision to go ahead with this plan no matter the source of the plan is a failure of Biblical proportions.  Also, from my perspective he threw a lot of others under the bus on his way to "full responsibility".  My suspicion is he lasts maybe a couple more months as his incompetence on full display for the entire world has likely angered the Gods of the establishment/deep state.  So watch for signs of VP Harris warming up in the Bull Pen.

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Years ago I took over a terrible project from another manager.  After assessing the complete disaster I was persuaded by my manager and the project's business sponsor to push through with the original plan rather than pursue some other courses of action I proposed to them would give us a better chance of success.  But they talked me out of it while making it clear that switching approaches at this point would be bad optics.  So we proceeded as planned and ultimately the project failed miserably and was cancelled.  I took "full responsibility" for the failure but when it came time to cut staff in the organization I still got fired. 

So Biden taking responsibility is not really important in my eyes because the results are what matters and the results of his decision to go ahead with this plan no matter the source of the plan is a failure of Biblical proportions.  Also, from my perspective he threw a lot of others under the bus on his way to "full responsibility".  My suspicion is he lasts maybe a couple more months as his incompetence on full display for the entire world has likely angered the Gods of the establishment/deep state.  So watch for signs of VP Harris warming up in the Bull Pen.

No he’ll be supported in this because the majority of Americans wanted out of Afghanistan.  He’ll survive the reprehensible botching of the withdrawal with time.

Bottom line is this:  Americans want our country to be weak.  You have the liberal weaklings who have always wanted that, and the supposed conservative who like to talk tough but pee their pants when push comes to shove.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No he’ll be supported in this because the majority of Americans wanted out of Afghanistan.  He’ll survive the reprehensible botching of the withdrawal with time.

Bottom line is this:  Americans want our country to be weak.  You have the liberal weaklings who have always wanted that, and the supposed conservative who like to talk tough but pee their pants when push comes to shove.

At what point is giving up on failed "nation building" no longer weakness to you?  Apparently it's not fifty years, so what's the timeline there?  Or is it a body count?

How about we secure and lock down our borders, evict the foreigners on our soil already, and then start figuring out how we can help the world?  What's that expression, something about getting your own house in order?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Maybe.  But going forward when some US diplomat says "trust us" to a foreign leader being asked to stick their neck out and take on some risks what will they be thinking?   As the Empire's power and wealth is fundamentally based on a complex web of protection rackets, demonstrating incompetence in holding up our end of the bargain is going to have some consequences. 

3 minutes ago, LeviF said:

At what point is giving up on failed "nation building" no longer weakness to you?  Apparently it's not fifty years, so what's the timeline there?  Or is it a body count?

How about we secure and lock down our borders, evict the foreigners on our soil already, and then start figuring out how we can help the world?  What's that expression, something about getting your own house in order?

We can do both.  Why do you want our country to be so weak?

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Maybe.  But going forward when some US diplomat says "trust us" to a foreign leader being asked to stick their neck out and take on some risks what will they be thinking?   As the Empire's power and wealth is fundamentally based on a complex web of protection rackets, demonstrating incompetence in holding up our end of the bargain is going to have some consequences. 

I agree.  And just because of the debacle of the last 2 days but the last 20 years.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We can do both.  Why do you want our country to be so weak?

Except we aren't.  We're engaging in nation building, which clearly our military is not good at, and leaving the door wide open at the same time.  DHS budget is being gutted next fiscal year.  

Your strawman bull#### doesn't fly here, dude. Our country IS weak because of failed foreign policy and embarrassment on a global scale.  Becoming STRONG again means setting this ***** back on track, not doubling down on failure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Plus: Biden’s Disgrace:.

“Remember when the press spent an entire week in a lather about President Trump’s lies about the size of his inauguration crowd? How should we react to far more consequential lies, lies that result in the mass rape of little girls and the mass torture and beheadings of men? How many will point out that Biden’s vow to restore America’s international reputation is in tatters, not even seven months into his administration?”

Plus: “Top military advisers were pleading with Biden to understand that just a minimal presence — say, 3,000 troops in Afghanistan — would go a long way toward maintaining a fragile peace. Biden rejected this out of hand: ‘There would be no conditions put on the withdrawal, Mr. Biden told the men,’ the New York Times reported. . . . Referring, apparently, to the Fall of Saigon, Austin’s warning to the president that, ‘We’ve seen this movie before,’ fell on Biden’s deaf ears.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/08/bidens-disgrace/

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Except we aren't.  We're engaging in nation building, which clearly our military is not good at, and leaving the door wide open at the same time.  DHS budget is being gutted next fiscal year.  

Your strawman bull#### doesn't fly here, dude. Our country IS weak because of failed foreign policy and embarrassment on a global scale.  Becoming STRONG again means setting this ***** back on track, not doubling down on failure.

Not nation building.  Destroying our enemy. That is strength.  You want weakness.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not nation building.  Destroying our enemy. That is strength.  You want weakness.

We tried that and lost.  Now what?  What is strength in the face of defeat, exactly? 

It's an unwinnable war.  We could turn half of Afghanistan to glass and it wouldn't make one mote of difference.  The taliban played a 20 year waiting game.  They'd play it for 20 more, and 20 more after that if they had to.

9 minutes ago, LeviF said:

We tried that and lost.  Now what?  What is strength in the face of defeat, exactly? 

It's an unwinnable war.  We could turn half of Afghanistan to glass and it wouldn't make one mote of difference.  The taliban played a 20 year waiting game.  They'd play it for 20 more, and 20 more after that if they had to.

We didn’t try.  We cut and ran.  The Taliban wants to destroy us.  It wants to destroy everyone who does not buy into their attempt to covert the world.

Evil must be eradicated.

51 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The "mission" was never to destroy the Taliban.

And when the Taliban was at their lowest, they fled to Pakistan.  Did you want to invade Pakistan?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

We can do both.  

Have you not been paying attention?  Obviously we can't.  

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Is the Taliban truly OUR enemy? 

39 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I try my best not to underestimate Joe’s ability to f*** things up but his talent is boundless.

This is the one that really boggles the mind.  Bagram AF Base should have been the last out.  The captain bailed before the ship sunk.  Is Mel Brooks our Commander-in-Chief now? 

43 minutes ago, snafu said:

The "mission" was never to destroy the Taliban.

And when the Taliban was at their lowest, they fled to Pakistan.  Did you want to invade Pakistan?

If they are harboring those that want to destroy us, and using diplomatic approaches to have them get rid of them, yes.  Again, the way to get rid of evil is to get rid of evil.

31 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Have you not been paying attention?  Obviously we can't.  

Is the Taliban truly OUR enemy? 

Absolutely.  Watch, in a year or so we will have to back in again because they’ll allow terrorists a safe haven to kill us.

• Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If they are harboring those that want to destroy us, and using diplomatic approaches to have them get rid of them, yes.  Again, the way to get rid of evil is to get rid of evil.

Absolutely.  Watch, in a year or so we will have to back in again because they’ll allow terrorists a safe haven to kill us.

China wants to destroy us. 
When do we go in?

• Like (+1) 1