PFF ranks Bills offense as elite

BarleyNY

PFF ranks the Bills offense as elite, 5th overall and in the highest tier (1).  The 5 teams in that tier are the ones that played in the conference championship games and the Browns. Notably they have the rest of the offenses in the AFCE in the lowest tier (5).  That feels very promising with respect to a comfortable division win and overall record when looked at that way. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offense-rankings-tiers-2021

“Josh Allen’s breakout 2020 season propelled the Bills offense into a different realm the franchise hasn't visited for a long time. Allen’s overall PFF grade jumped from 64.1 in 2019 to 90.3 last season and put him among the very best players in the league. Stefon Diggsalso proved to be a shrewd acquisition, as he thrived with the extra opportunity he received within the Buffalo passing attack. This offense is also one of the league’s most cutting edge in terms of pass-happy balance on neutral downs, giving them an analytics boost over many other units in the league.”

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Given last season

giphy.gif

I love how they say "Rather than list teams from top to bottom and split hairs between similarly elite or poor groups, we have arranged the NFL's 32 teams into groups of comparable units, comprising five tiers" but they pretty clearly have ordered their tiers according to their perception of rank within each.

And this:

The Browns are the first team in the top tier of NFL offenses without a sure-fire stud at the quarterback position. Baker Mayfield is still a work in progress at this point, and his true ceiling remains a moveable target. He struggled badly in some games early last year, but you can certainly mitigate those performances with real issues outside his control, such as a new system with no preseason to work on things.

Mayfield earned a top-five PFF passing grade in the second half of the year, and the team has still yet to see the full impact of a healthy Odell Beckham Jr. on this offense. With the best offensive line in the league on paper and two elite running backs ready to exploit it, this offense has balance and depth — not to mention potential yet to be realized.

Oh, yeah, and 🖕 PFF and their clickbait crap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

PFF…T is an unwanted wagon jumper, they can go piss up a rope…

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

PFF ranks the Bills offense as elite, 5th overall and in the highest tier (1).  The 5 teams in that tier are the ones that played in the conference championship games and the Browns. Notably they have the rest of the offenses in the AFCE in the lowest tier (5).  That feels very promising with respect to a comfortable division win and overall record when looked at that way. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offense-rankings-tiers-2021

“Josh Allen’s breakout 2020 season propelled the Bills offense into a different realm the franchise hasn't visited for a long time. Allen’s overall PFF grade jumped from 64.1 in 2019 to 90.3 last season and put him among the very best players in the league. Stefon Diggsalso proved to be a shrewd acquisition, as he thrived with the extra opportunity he received within the Buffalo passing attack. This offense is also one of the league’s most cutting edge in terms of pass-happy balance on neutral downs, giving them an analytics boost over many other units in the league.”

Per the bold and while I appreciate the idea, I suspect a division win and great overall record will be anything but comfortable. 

This jives with the article from the Athletic today on ranking teams based on QB tiers.  We are one of the teams that face the most QB's this year that are projected in the lowest tier, especially with all 3 of our divisional opponents being ranked that way.

Offense continues to be Top 5, Defense rises to Top 10 - hope for minimal injuries and have a great shot at going to the Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If I’m going to hate PFF when they trash us, I have to be consistent to hate them when they like us.

I swear it seems like Allen’s and our team has performed so well they feel obligated to find a way to walk back all the trashing they’ve done over the last three years.

But you can tell they do it reluctantly.  "Oh, we're just listing a tier, not in any order" and then KC first, Tampa second, and the Bills after a team that they acknowledge still has something to show at QB?

But yeah, that's where I am:

PFF is

1) genuinely good objective data they market to a lot of teams (personnel groupings and playcalling tendencies by down and distance to go, all kind of objective stats on players)

2) pseudo-objective Frankenstats they market to Fantasy Football gurus - stuff like "interceptable balls" that rely upon supposedly trained observers to all quantify the same way all the time while maintaining high output

3) clickbait opinion pieces

For the latter, I'm with @machine gun kelly, it's not worth more attention when they rank us high than it is when they claim Allen is a "replacement level QB" and Duck Hodges/Gardner Minshew are better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But you can tell they do it reluctantly.  "Oh, we're just listing a tier, not in any order" and then KC first, Tampa second, and the Bills after a team that they acknowledge still has something to show at QB?

But yeah, that's where I am:

PFF is

1) genuinely good objective data they market to a lot of teams (personnel groupings and playcalling tendencies by down and distance to go, all kind of objective stats on players)

2) pseudo-objective Frankenstats they market to Fantasy Football gurus - stuff like "interceptable balls" that rely upon supposedly trained observers to all quantify the same way all the time while maintaining high output

3) clickbait opinion pieces

For the latter, I'm with @machine gun kelly, it's not worth more attention when they rank us high than it is when they claim Allen is a "replacement level QB" and Duck Hodges/Gardner Minshew are better.

Just like you to be more articulate than me.  😂😇🏋️♂️🦬🤪

Thanks Hap and as always well written my friend.

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This jives with the article from the Athletic today on ranking teams based on QB tiers.  We are one of the teams that face the most QB's this year that are projected in the lowest tier, especially with all 3 of our divisional opponents being ranked that way.

Offense continues to be Top 5, Defense rises to Top 10 - hope for minimal injuries and have a great shot at going to the Super Bowl

20-0, babyyyyyyyyy!!!!

• Like (+1) 2