Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

This line takes away any credibility your opinion on this matter might have.

Ertz is a three time Pro Bowler who averages over 800 yards per season and once set the all time single season receptions record fi or a tight end with 116. He would instantly be the best tight end the Bills have ever had.

If you don’t want him on the Bills, fine, but saying he “blows” is just silly. It’s a silly take. And that’s putting it mildly.

Tony Gonzalez also blows now.  Should we sign him or maybe Antonio Gates?  

Lol this bull#### has become a comedy skit now. I think it’s safe to say, if this was going to really happen then would’ve happened during free agency. I applaud Beane for not being a fool and caving into Philly’s demands. If Philly thinks that they can get a first or second round pick for a 30 year old TE who has injury problems plus who’s coming off a career worst last year, then they’re smoking crack. I wish we could’ve gotten Pitts but I’m fine with the TE group we have right now. If the group doesn’t pan out then go for a TE next years draft or free agency. I wish some fans on here would stop getting there hopes up on an Ertz to Buffalo trade. 

On 6/30/2021 at 11:56 AM, Blainorama5 said:

If Ertz does come and even if he's not the Ertz of old - he does have a lot more field cred than Knox from a defensive gameplanning perspective.  If you're a defense, do you just ignore Ertz?  I doubt it.

Well judging from the season he had last year I would be surprised if most defensive coordinators would still worry about him being a threat.  

On 6/30/2021 at 2:56 PM, Blainorama5 said:

If Ertz does come and even if he's not the Ertz of old - he does have a lot more field cred than Knox from a defensive gameplanning perspective.  If you're a defense, do you just ignore Ertz?  I doubt it.

I’m not sure.  From a DC position am I really worried about Ertz versus Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie?  If Ertz was on the team - I as DC - would be thrilled to have the ball going to him all day and keeping it out of the WRs hands.  

Until they prove that they will use the TE to win games on a consistent basis - my gameplan would continue to focus mostly on ways to handle, limit, or contain the WRs.  Either tight man coverage with doubling of some of the WRs or a blitzing package to go after Josh.  Ertz getting 8 or 10 yards making a catch and going down would be acceptable.  Make the Bills go down the field slowly without big chunk plays.

If I’m a DC - Knox worries me more than Ertz at this point - he is inconsistent, but when he catches the ball - especially on the outside - he has gotten some nice chunk plays and has run over people bringing huge energy to both Josh and the team.

Ertz gives you another reliable receiver (although his catch % last year was worse than Knox), but his strength is not in blocking and his Yards per Reception is not great - which all suggests he is basically a get to a spot - make a catch - and get tackled guy and that may help with a few 1st downs, but actually lessens the offense versus Beasley in that same role.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1