Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm half expecting Billy Batts is going to tell some of the rumour mongers to go home and get their effing shine boxes.

Whatever happened to that guy?  One minute he’s talking about close interpersonal relationships with guys in the jernt, next thing he drops off the face of the earth. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Whatever happened to that guy?  One minute he’s talking about close interpersonal relationships with guys in the jernt, next thing he drops off the face of the earth. 

He changed his name to Phil and hid out for a while.  Then his head got squished.

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly, just here to help this thread get to 40 pages. 

Naw, jokin aside, I like the idea of having a player like Ertz was in his prime, who wouldn't? A dominant TE is something that makes every team better. Will he be that kind of player this year? Who knows? But the facts are if he is on the field defenses will have to be accountable for him, he will be a another redzone target, and it'll be even more fun playing with the Bills in Madden. 

Will the Bills get him? Who knows. Will he be great if the Bills get him? Who knows. But we do know this, these are exciting times being a Bills Fan, and I look forward to many more.

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I’m not sure.  From a DC position am I really worried about Ertz versus Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie?  If Ertz was on the team - I as DC - would be thrilled to have the ball going to him all day and keeping it out of the WRs hands.  

Until they prove that they will use the TE to win games on a consistent basis - my gameplan would continue to focus mostly on ways to handle, limit, or contain the WRs.  Either tight man coverage with doubling of some of the WRs or a blitzing package to go after Josh.  Ertz getting 8 or 10 yards making a catch and going down would be acceptable.  Make the Bills go down the field slowly without big chunk plays.

If I’m a DC - Knox worries me more than Ertz at this point - he is inconsistent, but when he catches the ball - especially on the outside - he has gotten some nice chunk plays and has run over people bringing huge energy to both Josh and the team.

Ertz gives you another reliable receiver (although his catch % last year was worse than Knox), but his strength is not in blocking and his Yards per Reception is not great - which all suggests he is basically a get to a spot - make a catch - and get tackled guy and that may help with a few 1st downs, but actually lessens the offense versus Beasley in that same role.

All valid points, but the line I bolded could also be a function of the Eagles' system.  Josh certainly has gotten better at throwing guys open so they can get some YACs.  In a different system with a better QB than Ertz has had - might he be able to shed the "get to the spot and get tackled" label ??  Obviously no way to know for sure, but I sure would be willing to bring him on and see.  Ultimately I think we were somewhat lucky with major injuries to our WRs last year.  Will that hold up this year?  I guess I'm just a proponent of stacking the roster with as many proven productive receivers as possible for this year's run.  Loved the Sanders pickup for the same reason.  Options, options, and more options for Josh!!!

10 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well judging from the season he had last year I would be surprised if most defensive coordinators would still worry about him being a threat.  

Different team - different system - different QB.  Did everyone think Diggs would have the amazing year he had last year based on the production he had at Minnesota?  Some guys clearly respond to a change of scenery and some don't.  I'm not sure which one Ertz might be, but I'd be willing to take a chance to find out.  Hey, it's not MY money!!  🤑

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

With what I hear about Hollister, if we get Ertz, I do wonder if Knox is traded.  He could fall to 3rd on the depth chart. 

I think it will align this way similar to last year:

knox

ertz (Kroft replacement)

hollister (Smith/Gilliam replacement, plays ST)

Gilliam and Sweeney to the PS, maybe they keep one on the 53 if they keep 4 TEs, I tend to think they only keep 3

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

knox

ertz (Kroft replacement)

Gilliam and Sweeney to the PS, maybe they keep one on the 53 if they keep 4 TEs, I tend to think they only keep 3

You think Ertz would back up Knox?   I just can’t see Ertz wanting to come here if that’s the case.  

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

knox

ertz (Kroft replacement)

Yolo, PLEASE stop posting in this thread. The level of Dumbness surrounding Ertz here is mind-numbing. Unless reports are filed on these threads, I avoid them like the Pandemic -UNLESS You make a post here. 

You’re reputation precedes your posts. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

knox

ertz (Kroft replacement)

Marino on Locked on Bills had a segment the other day about the active roster.  If we dress 4 RB's (Motor, Moss, Breida and Jones for ST)....where do we get that extra spot?  He thinks we might just dress two tight ends on game day.  But, this was before the Ertz rumors started heating up again.

15 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

All valid points, but the line I bolded could also be a function of the Eagles' system.  Josh certainly has gotten better at throwing guys open so they can get some YACs.  In a different system with a better QB than Ertz has had - might he be able to shed the "get to the spot and get tackled" label ??  Obviously no way to know for sure, but I sure would be willing to bring him on and see.  Ultimately I think we were somewhat lucky with major injuries to our WRs last year.  Will that hold up this year?  I guess I'm just a proponent of stacking the roster with as many proven productive receivers as possible for this year's run.  Loved the Sanders pickup for the same reason.  Options, options, and more options for Josh!!!

I totally agree that Josh likes to throw guys open - what would be interesting is if he would actually use the TE in a way that is really an option.  Josh going back to his college days with a true NFL caliber TE and borderline NFL WR - preferred throwing to his WR at a 2.5 to 1 ratio and used the #2 And #3 WR at the same rate as the TE.

I understand that we question is Knox a legit TE, but the number of TE targets - even when those guys have been open is tiny compared to the targeting of WRs - even when covered.  Look at the Davis catch versus SF over the top of Warner - he had the TE leak out perfectly for a huge gain also - wide open - perfect design, but Josh loves the throws to WRs - especially outside the hash and numbers and he has the arm to make it.

My feelings are that having Ertz is another option, but without making major changes to the thought process and how Josh attacks a defense - I think Ertz is putting up numbers similar to Knox and Kroft over the last 2 years.  35 catches on 50 targets for 300-400 yards and 4 TDs.  I don’t believe he would be the difference maker some envision simply because of where in the progression for Josh the TE falls.

Now if Beasley is unavailable for any reason and they use Ertz in that role maybe he makes a difference, but I think on most plays - the TE is an afterthought for Josh - not Daboll necessarily as he came from NE as a TE coach - he knows gettin those guys open - Josh just does not consistently or even often look for that as his primary guys were getting open last year.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We don't know what is happening right now.  

But your replies have been terrible.  You literally used a 45 year old retired player who hasn't played since 2013 as a comparison.

Perhaps that went over your head.  The point is that Ertz primary appeal at this point in his career is his “big name”.  He was absolutely horrible last year and his name won’t help him in 2021.  Is a bounce back to above average possible?  Sure.  So is a leap forward from the younger, stronger, hungrier guys we already have.  Tony Gonzalez still has a big name but would be no help to the Bills in 2021.  Ertz wouldn’t be either IMO.  

As for “we don’t know what is happening right now”, that is true but it is clear that there isn’t some sort of bidding war for Ertz.  Why might that be?  

Beane has managed the roster and cap in a highly efficient manner and has some big contracts to core guys coming up.  Throwing draft picks and big money at a washed up tight end does not align with really anything else he’s done since he got here.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

the TE is an afterthought for Josh - not Daboll necessarily as he came from NE as a TE coach - he knows gettin those guys open - Josh just does not consistently or even often look for that as his primary guys were getting open last year.

Fair enough - but it's certainly an area he and Daboll should be working on.  I'm not saying Ertz is Kelse by any stretch, but look at what KC did to Buffalo...

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You think Ertz would back up Knox?   I just can’t see Ertz wanting to come here if that’s the case.  

I think they are different types of players. Knox is more of a YAC guy, almost used an hback in this offense. Ertz is more of an in-line TE /big WR and I think they would play together and in different formations, not really a “starter” and a “backup” 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Perhaps that went over your head.  The point is that Ertz primary appeal at this point in his career is his “big name”.  He was absolutely horrible last year and his name won’t help him in 2021.  Is a bounce back to above average possible?  Sure.  So is a leap forward from the younger, stronger, hungrier guys we already have.  Tony Gonzalez still has a big name but would be no help to the Bills in 2021.  Ertz wouldn’t be either IMO.  

As for “we don’t know what is happening right now”, that is true but it is clear that there isn’t some sort of bidding war for Ertz.  Why might that be?  

Beane has managed the roster and cap in a highly efficient manner and has some big contracts to core guys coming up.  Throwing draft picks and big money at a washed up tight end does not align with really anything else he’s done since he got here.

LOL, you're defending your statement.  Why don't you just use Mike Ditka then.

Ertz was hurt last year with terrible QB play.  Knox has had a 24 and 28 catch season so far in a pass heavy offense and All Pro QB...but Ertz is terrible?

Ertz's numbers before that were top tier.  In 2019, he had 88 receptions lol.  One year removed from that and now he's terrible.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Marino on Locked on Bills had a segment the other day about the active roster.  If we dress 4 RB's (Motor, Moss, Breida and Jones for ST)....where do we get that extra spot?  He thinks we might just dress two tight ends on game day.  But, this was before the Ertz rumors started heating up again.

They almost never have 4 RBs active on game day, do they? That said they kept 4 TEs last year and one was always inactive. I think they keep 3 and 7 WRs this year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They almost never have 4 RBs active on game day, do they? That said they kept 4 TEs last year and one was always inactive. I think they keep 3 and 7 WRs this year. 

Yeah that's what the topic was.  If this year we add a 4th RB with the signing of Breida.  He gives us that speed dynamic.  

Unless we find someone that can contribute on ST likes Jones but not at the RB position.  

I wonder if there's a change Singletary is moved?  I think they like Moss.

5 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Fair enough - but it's certainly an area he and Daboll should be working on.  I'm not saying Ertz is Kelse by any stretch, but look at what KC did to Buffalo...

I agree and based upon what came out of OTAs and minicamp - the Bills are working on in-breaking routes and throws toward the middle of the field.  - those are throws Josh has been more hesitant to make (they got him in trouble as a rookie - especially against NE).  Those would include using the TE and RB as a safety valve - I would think.

Also please do not think that I hate Ertz because I think he would be the best TE the Bills have, but I think with Josh Allen as he is wired - you could give him Travis Kelce as a TE and our crappy 2018 WRs and he would still use the WRs at about a 5:1 rate compared to a HOF level TE - it is not hating on Josh as he is elite, but he is just wired to make plays and so far in his career from college on - WRs make plays.  TEs move chains and are critical inside the 5 yard line, but between the 10’s - the WRs is where the money is at.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree and based upon what came out of OTAs and minicamp - the Bills are working on in-breaking routes and throws toward the middle of the field.  - those are throws Josh has been more hesitant to make (they got him in trouble as a rookie - especially against NE).  Those would include using the TE and RB as a safety valve - I would think.

Also please do not think that I hate Ertz because I think he would be the best TE the Bills have, but I think with Josh Allen as he is wired - you could give him Travis Kelce as a TE and our crappy 2018 WRs and he would still use the WRs at about a 5:1 rate compared to a HOF level TE - it is not hating on Josh as he is elite, but he is just wired to make plays and so far in his career from college on - WRs make plays.  TEs move chains and are critical inside the 5 yard line, but between the 10’s - the WRs is where the money is at.

I agree with some of this, but Josh clearly utilized Beasley as his “move the chains” guy… No reason to think he wouldn’t use Ertz as well.  

Also, from all the observations of Ertz at this point in his career, he’s a sure-handed, leverage-reading zone killer.  Sure would be nice to have that weapon to pull out of the bag, because no team wants to go man against the route running abilities of Diggs, Beasley and Sanders while turning their backs to Allen. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2