Tony Romo helps his broadcast partner Jim Nantz potentially triple his salary

Big Turk

Nantz was flirting with leaving CBS for ESPN with his contract due to expire this summer and wanted more than Romo was making to stay...a fair deal considering he has been the voice of just about every CBS sports event from the Masters to the NCAA tourney to the NFL and does it year round while Romo only does the NFL...

Nantz was making 6.5 million while Romo was making 17.5 million...

CBS wanted to keep him and apparently agreed to his demands as he resigned a deal to stay with both sides mutually wanting to extend the partnership...

Must feel great to triple your salary with one stroke of a pen...but I am pretty sure he is going to be on the hook for all the dinners with him and Romo this year hahaha

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jim-nantz-remaining-at-cbs-amid-reported-espn-overtures-000928295.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nantz was flirting with leaving CBS for ESPN with his contract due to expire this summer and wanted more than Romo was making to stay...a fair deal considering he has been the voice of just about every CBS sports event from the Masters to the NCAA tourney to the NFL and does it year round while Romo only does the NFL...

Nantz was making 6.5 million while Romo was making 17.5 million...

CBS wanted to keep him and apparently agreed to his demands as he resigned a deal to stay with both sides mutually wanting to extend the partnership...

Must feel great to triple your salary with one stroke of a pen...but I am pretty sure he is going to be on the hook for all the dinners with him and Romo this year hahaha

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jim-nantz-remaining-at-cbs-amid-reported-espn-overtures-000928295.html

The funny thing is that Romo immediately began to suck as soon as he got that contract. I still remember the game where Dak got hurt. Dude's foot is pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction. Romo says "If you're a Cowboys fan, you hope it's just a cramp"

He did it again later but it escapes me right now. And those cool insights and play predictions seemed to vanish.

Edited by Boxcar
Fixed quote
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Process said:

Romo is so unbelievably overrated

I have to agree with this. It's required for at least 2 people in the room to mention how great Romo is for some reason. And this is before the game starts.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Process said:

Ya I’m starting to think that.

They must have told him to tone down the pre snap reads though. The first few years he was doing it like all the time and I loved it personally.

But the last few years not so much at all. You got to wonder if the league told him to tone it down.

Now if they can only tell him to tone down the Pat Mahomes love fest.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya I’m starting to think that.

They must have told him to tone down the pre snap reads though. The first few years he was doing it like all the time and I loved it personally.

But the last few years not so much at all. You got to wonder if the league told him to tone it down.

Now if they can only tell him to tone down the Pat Mahomes love fest.

Right. His ability to predict plays was cool, and people are holding on to it when they think of him. Without that, he's really just annoying and a lot of time cringe worthy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

The funny thing is that Romo immediately began to suck as soon as he got that contract. I still remember the game where Dak got hurt. Dude's foot is pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction. Romo says "If you're a Cowboys fan, you hope it's just a cramp"

He did it again later but it escapes me right now. And those cool insights and play predictions seemed to vanish.

Romo was bad last year. It does seem like he's not trying.

45 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Now if they can only tell him to tone down the Pat Mahomes Brady love fest.

I also liked his pre-snap reads.

And I fixed the last sentence.

2 hours ago, Process said:

I can't stand him anymore honestly. I was really hoping he went elsewhere last year when his contract was up. Guess I have to get used to him now that we are a big dawg in the AFC.

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

I liked him when he first started out. He was fresh, entertaining and insightful.  Now he is all annoying schtick.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I read an article a few years back after his first season prior to his first post season announcing. It said something along the lines of:

The reason he's so good right now is because he played with a lot of these QB's and knows their checks and where they go. As times goes on, he wont be able to predict plays anymore because the way of audibling from these QB's will be changed and/or gone. 

Now I like Romo and I think he's an entertaining listen and he clearly knows the game very well. But I kind of agree with the above sentiment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Ironically, the things he did so well to earn him that record contract, he no longer does. Those pre snap reads and predictions were not only entertaining, but educational.

6 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I read an article a few years back after his first season prior to his first post season announcing. It said something along the lines of:

The reason he's so good right now is because he played with a lot of these QB's and knows their checks and where they go. As times goes on, he wont be able to predict plays anymore because the way of audibling from these QB's will be changed and/or gone. 

Now I like Romo and I think he's an entertaining listen and he clearly knows the game very well. But I kind of agree with the above sentiment. 

Hmm, that's a good point.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

is it me, or has Romo's voice gotten sort of rough the past year or so?

always sounds like he has vocal issues

I haven't noticed it, but I think he has a good voice for the booth. He's not Kevin Harlan or Kenny Albert but he sounds pretty good.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is. He was brilliant his first year. He has been bang average since. Controversial view, but give me Collinsworth.

It seems so weird did they basically offer him a crap load of money and then tell to completely change how he does the job he did so well as to get that money?

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It seems so weird did they basically offer him a crap load of money and then tell to completely change how he does the job he did so well as to get that money?

Agree. They got a Ferrari and spent 3 years turning him into a sensible family hatchback.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. They got a Ferrari and spent 3 years turning him into a sensible family hatchback.

And the genius behind that decision makes even more money than Romo does.