Another week, another mass murder

4 hours ago, BillStime said:

Please don't tell me you're pro-life when you allow folks to commit gun murders every freakn day because of an unregulated ammo/gun market.

Seriously!  I allow!!  I ALLOW!!  

You never did answer my question about how you would control this issue.  All you do is B word, complain and post childish memes. Never any solutions. So here’s my idea I’ve mentioned several times. 

In my mind this is a mental health issue.  Gun owners should be required to go through background checks on a regular basis. Not just to purchase a weapon.  They should be required to take regular CE courses on gun safety.  Taking guns away will NEVER solve this.  Criminals will always find a weapon.  However requiring regular background checks will reduce the number of mentally ill people having access to weapons and ammo. 

OK....your ideas?  Aaaaaand go!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Of course you're missing the point that these industries are highly regulated.

But why not gun/ammo manufacturers?

What does the ATF regulate.  I give you a  hint Alcohol Tobacco and something that starts with an F.

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

You never did answer my question about how you would control this issue.  All you do is B word, complain and post childish memes. Never any solutions. So here’s my idea I’ve mentioned several times. 

In my mind this is a mental health issue.  Gun owners should be required to go through background checks on a regular basis. Not just to purchase a weapon.  They should be required to take regular CE courses on gun safety.  Taking guns away will NEVER solve this.  Criminals will always find a weapon.  However requiring regular background checks will reduce the number of mentally ill people having access to weapons and ammo. 

The ideas that you mention above would and have gone nowhere with the GOP

9 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Of course you're missing the point that these industries are highly regulated.

But why not gun/ammo manufacturers?

Ammo is VERY regulated here in CA. What else ya got? 

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Well then....forget about it. 🙄

Solutions are haaaaaarrrrd!  😩

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Jim, we agree more than we disagree. You have great ideas that should be implemented immediately. We have to do something to stop the insanity. We will never completely stop gun violence; but both parties must come together and agree to sensible gun legislation.

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Jim, we agree more than we disagree. You have great ideas that should be implemented immediately. We have to do something to stop the insanity. We will never completely stop gun violence; but both parties must come together and agree to sensible gun legislation.

Thank you. Notice none of my “great ideas” called for taking away guns.  It’s all about monitoring the mental health and backgrounds of those who own guns. 

There were lots of signs this shooter was a troubled person.  But these things always come out post tragedy.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Thank you. Notice none of my “great ideas” called for taking away guns.  It’s all about monitoring the mental health and backgrounds of those who own guns. 

There were lots of signs this shooter was a troubled person.  But these things always come out post tragedy.  

part of this issue in the states is there are already soooooo many guns out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I read this particular scumbag was previously actually convicted of assault. That combined with the family references of paranoia... the guy shouldn’t have been able to purchase firearms of any kind much less an assault rifle. 

I have a problem with that too.  Background checks should include interviews with friends and family and review of social media posts.  It’s the people people not the weapons! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

take this for what it is, its the blaze but seems to contain what he was talking about.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I don't disagree with this.  Do this stuff (kind of like Iceland) and reimplement the federal assault weapons ban and I'm good. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Have you ever seen someone change clips?  It’s pretty amazing how fast. But if taking away the scary guns will help you sleep at night have at it.  But if it doesn’t, then what?  

So you take away the scary guns you assume these shootings will subside?  The mental healthy of the shooters plays no part in this?  I’m pretty sure you take away the scary guns these mentally ill people will still kill.  Demons don’t care the caliber or the level of scary. 

I love hollow points. If im going to protect myself from someone breaking in to my house I want the best ammo to take them out.  Yes bullets kill people but how many bullets have killed that are either in someone’s closet or in a loaded weapon that’s not racked?  I think even you know the answer to that one. 

Regarding your nuclear device comment. You went down with your ship on that one. 

The truth is the cops are not going to be there to protect you and your family from an intruder when it happens.  They'll respond afterward to zip up the body bags and do some investigation.  They are not going to protect you.  They respond to crime, not prevent crime.

The problem with all the calls for more gun control is they don't do anything to address the fundamental problems that can stop or eliminate most of these mass shooting events.  They are not going to take guns out of the hands of criminals or those bent on doing harm to others.  All these gun control initiatives calling for more laws and restrictions do is give the government more power and control over its citizens.  Why do we want to give an already overly-intrusive government, one that spies and collects all sorts of information and reconnaissance on almost every citizen through whatever means they have available even more power?  A government that has over a short time militarized local and state police organizations.  A government that preaches from the Capitol building, the seat of power for the federal government surrounded by fences and barriers along with thousands of armed troops and armed bodyguards and agents?  A government that is somehow afraid of its own citizens but is more than willing to let you go about life in the environment outside of their fence perimeter that's safe enough for you to take your chances in every day. 

How about this, let Congress pass more restrictions and add an amendment making it illegal for government officials to have armed bodyguards and security forces.  If its safe for us then its safe for them?  Lead from the front, right?  

Why is it that states with the most restrictive gun control laws generally have the most crime?  Simply put, because they have the most criminals resulting from social and economic conditions that drive people to crime and criminal activity,  Much of it just for survival.  Generally, these states blame "out of state gun purchases" for their problems but the real cause is their inaction to solve the fundamental problems of poverty.  These are social issues that never seem to gets addressed and resolved.

These mass shooters either hold some ideological extreme or are mentally imbalanced.  What's curious about a lot of these cases is the individuals involved are "known" to the FBI and other law enforcement organizations but they never seem to do anything.  Why is that?  Maybe they should start checking into these leads with a little more enthusiasm?

Let me say I’m not a big gun guy. But...most of the ideas tossed around on this issue are just noise to make people ‘feel’ like they did something. (It’s like banning plastic straws to save marine life.) You pretty much have to go all the way or leave it alone. Ban guns entirely (which didn’t work with alcohol during prohibition) or nibble at the edges just to say you did something. Neither of the recent shooters would’ve been stopped by the typical go-to ‘common sense’ regulations. These are crazy people. They don’t have ‘common sense’! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So someone uses a product to harm another in a manner that the product is not meant and the company is responsible? You are a lawyers best friend, good hearted but unable to put any intelligent thought into it. 

What is an AR-15 designed to do? 

Answer: Kill people

How is the company not responsible when it's products actually does kill people? 

14 hours ago, BrownNgold said:

Who would be liable if a drunk driver killed somebody? The liquor manufacturer or the car company.

Neither. Those products are not designed to kill people 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me say I’m not a big gun guy. But...most of the ideas tossed around on this issue are just noise to make people ‘feel’ like they did something. (It’s like banning plastic straws to save marine life.) You pretty much have to go all the way or leave it alone. Ban guns entirely (which didn’t work with alcohol during prohibition) or nibble at the edges just to say you did something. Neither of the recent shooters would’ve been stopped by the typical go-to ‘common sense’ regulations. These are crazy people. They don’t have ‘common sense’! 

I respectfully disagree.  I believe he had pled guilty to assault.  A comprehensive background check would have shown that, and if you've been convicted or pled guilty to a violent crime I would suggest you should not have the ability to purchase a firearm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I respectfully disagree.  I believe he had pled guilty to assault.  A comprehensive background check would have shown that, and if you've been convicted or pled guilty to a violent crime I would suggest you should not have the ability to purchase a firearm.

Or if you have been involved in a domestic violence incident. 

• Agree 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I respectfully agree. Go ahead and do your background check. It won’t stop crazy people from doing crazy things. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I respectfully agree. Go ahead and do your background check. It won’t stop crazy people from doing crazy things. 

True, but let's say this idiot goes into the grocery store with a baseball bat or a knife.  I would say the people there have a much better chance of running away, or having a group bring him down, than if he had the kind of weapons he had.  

I am all for background checks and all for more mental health services.  They'll help, (and what the hell was his family doing here??),  But this comes down to simple math.  If you have a knife or a gun that can only shoot say six rounds vs. one that can shoot hundreds, then math tells you the latter can do more damage.  I have yet to see a persuasive argument as to why you should be able to buy these magazines that allow one to shoot so many rounds.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

True, but let's say this idiot goes into the grocery store with a baseball bat or a knife.  I would say the people there have a much better chance of running away, or having a group bring him down, than if he had the kind of weapons he had.  

I am all for background checks and all for more mental health services.  They'll help, (and what the hell was his family doing here??),  But this comes down to simple math.  If you have a knife or a gun that can only shoot say six rounds vs. one that can shoot hundreds, then math tells you the latter can do more damage.  I have yet to see a persuasive argument as to why you should be able to buy these magazines that allow one to shoot so many rounds.

Once again, we agree. But please know it won’t stop gun violence. We have thousands of gun deaths in America every year. Your suggestions, while good ones, will only reduce (but not eliminate) the ones the media chooses to report on. The other daily death count will march right along. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

These mass shooting events are much more difficult to stop then the average mass shootings that happen on a daily basis.  Mass shooting is generally considered when someone shoots 3 or more people in one instance.  When you see the stat of there being a thousand mass shootings or whatever the number was this year you need to step back and think.  These are typically gang fights where someone shoots up a party or in a fight or something.  Throw away guns are the big problem.  I support the second amendment.  

One big issue is that the national gun registry is literally a file cabinet system somewhere in Virginia...file cabinets for 400 million guns....in this day and age.  So whenever there is a shooting a cop has to call this registry and a person has to go through the file system to find the guy and that can take weeks unless it's a high priority and they can do it fairly quickly.  This needs to change.  Next I think you need to prove someone keeps their weapon once they buy it cause too often these guys are used in a crime and end up in the water.  The gangs typically get a clean record person to buy the gun, it's used and discarded rinse and repeat.  If you buy a gun and say don't have proof you have it 6 months later no more guns for you since you can't be responsible. This should be at least a start.  

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again, we agree. But please know it won’t stop gun violence. We have thousands of gun deaths in America every year. Your suggestions, while good ones, will only reduce (but not eliminate) the ones the media chooses to report on. The other daily death count will march right along. 

You have to start somewhere.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You have to start somewhere.

We can start there when we take office. At the heart of most of our problems is the utter refusal for the parties to work across the aisle. Maybe you and I can fix it. (Of course we’ll still have to decide who walks up and who walks down the steps to Air Force One. That’ll take some negotiation.😉)

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We can start there when we take office. At the heart of most of our problems is the utter refusal for the parties to work across the aisle. Maybe you and I can fix it. (Of course we’ll still have to decide who walks up and who walks down the steps to Air Force One. That’ll take some negotiation.😉)

I'll be walking up the stairs, whether it's Air Force 1 or 2!

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

What is an AR-15 designed to do? 

Answer: Kill people

How is the company not responsible when it's products actually does kill people? 

Neither. Those products are not designed to kill people 

An AR15 is mainly used as a hunting rifle, then it is used in self defense. Your ignorance here does not make you morally right. The saddest part of your argument is that you would have to argue that of the 30 million AR guns, only a few are used properly each year, and 99.99999% are misusing their guns. As I sad lawyers love people like you who can't think logically.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

An AR15 is mainly used as a hunting rifle, then it is used in self defense. Your ignorance here does not make you morally right. The saddest part of your argument is that you would have to argue that of the 30 million AR guns, only a few are used properly each year, and 99.99999% are misusing their guns. As I sad lawyers love people like you who can't think logically.

Huh??? Then you call me ignorant? LOL

Let Americans sue companies that make unsafe and deadly products. What's wrong with freedom? 

The gun industry stacked the deck against average Americans. End the special interest favor to this industry! 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The plastic straw ban is a good one.  Picking an obvious but incorrect solution to a problem.  A better solution to the problem might be to identify how all these plastic straws are finding their way into the ocean and stop it.  I think the problem is the US "exports" a lot of garbage to overseas locations and the junk falls of the ship or gets tossed overboard to cut disposal costs when they reach the destination.  So stop doing this.  Problem solved.

But the gun thing.  All these proposals are just diversions.  It's more a social and behavioral problem than a weapons issue.  This guys was clearly unhinged but nobody wanted to get engaged in confronting him because he'd cry "discrimination" and hearing the mating call of SJW all the useful idiots would run to his assistance.   So maybe all the people so quick to charge and call everything a bias issue should shut up about that for a while and think it through.  Heaven forbid anyone gets offended!     

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The plastic straw ban is a good one.  Picking an obvious but incorrect solution to a problem.  A better solution to the problem might be to identify how all these plastic straws are finding their way into the ocean and stop it.  I think the problem is the US "exports" a lot of garbage to overseas locations and the junk falls of the ship or gets tossed overboard to cut disposal costs when they reach the destination.  So stop doing this.  Problem solved.

But the gun thing.  All these proposals are just diversions.  It's more a social and behavioral problem than a weapons issue.  This guys was clearly unhinged but nobody wanted to get engaged in confronting him because he'd cry "discrimination" and hearing the mating call of SJW all the useful idiots would run to his assistance.   So maybe all the people so quick to charge and call everything a bias issue should shut up about that for a while and think it through.  Heaven forbid anyone gets offended!     

Let our citizens have their day in court. If a company makes a product to kill people, and it does, let a court punish them. What's wrong with that? 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Huh??? Then you call me ignorant? LOL

Let Americans sue companies that make unsafe and deadly products. What's wrong with freedom? 

The gun industry stacked the deck against average Americans. End the special interest favor to this industry! 

So what are the majority of AR15 used for then? If not self defense and hunting then what are they used for by the 99.9999%? I personally know several people who have used AR15 style guns to hunt smaller animals, I will admit I do not know anyone who has used one in self defense but I know they will if needed. You insinuated I am ignorant, please tell me how 

18 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Take solace tibs,

All 10 Boulder Colorado Victims Were White.

All were white? So this should be a hate crime then right? Oh wait, they were white so it can't be a hate crime. And when the shooter being a muslim spoiled the liberal lefts dance party they just turned it into an attack on the right to bear arms. The Constitutional right. 

• Like (+1) 1