Looks like John Brown was released

1 minute ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

John Brown always hated me. For what? I don't know.

Yeah I mean every time you plant a seed he said "Kill it before it grow"...he said "Kill it before it grow..."

WTF is up with that?

Thanks to John Brown for his time and the best for his future. 

His release makes a lot of sense for the Bills from a financial and availability standpoint. While the O didn't really underperform with him off the field, we need another speed option (and not as brittle as Glass Goodwin) to take advantage of Allen's arm and keep defenses honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I like Gabe Davis a lot, but I hope they don’t count on using him as the number two next season. Our offense was fine without Brown, and I’m not overly concerned, but I see Davis as a third option. His lack of speed worries me. 

He’s what 6’2? Has great size and body control. Typically your big guys aren’t going to run in the 4.3s-4.4s, right around 4.5 is about what is acceptable for guys that size. Obviously if they run faster than that, that’s great, they’re freaks, but his speed is good enough is what I’m saying. Think the value in a player like Gabe Davis is he’s big. He can outmuscle most CBs for jump balls and he can beat them while they’re playing in press coverage. And once again, great body control. You can throw it to the opposite side of the CB and he has the wingspan, the hands and nimble feet to haul it in. Also helps in run blocking. He’s going to manhandle most CBs..

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Thanks to John Brown for his time and the best for his future. 

His release makes a lot of sense for the Bills from a financial and availability standpoint. While the O didn't really underperform with him off the field, we need another speed option (and not as brittle as Glass Goodwin) to take advantage of Allen's arm and keep defenses honest. 

I suspect they might be looking to the draft for that...unless someone like John Ross wants to sign a 1 yr deal on the cheap...

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I thought our offense looked amazing vs the niners, Denver and NE.  Tough to be 1000x’s better than our offense was in those 3 games

Haha— fair point. Maybe overstated that. But you can see that Josh’s worst

games came when JB was either out or hobbled severely such that he was a non-factor. 

I think we can all agree that the offense needs a guy that can stretch the field. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

not saying you personally, but i keep reading Feliciano or Williams.  How is that even a question on which?  It better be for williams

Should be. I do personally believe they value Feliciano more considering contract, leadership, and flexibility. I think OT could be our 1st pick.

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

games came when JB was either out or hobbled severely such that he was a non-factor. 

I think we can all agree that the offense needs a guy that can stretch the field. 

I think Josh proved he can put up points without Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

For sure. I won’t be happy if we don’t spend any resources on another vertical threat.  Our offense was amazing, but it wasn’t when we needed them most. After cutting brown, our O could really use a speed WR, a speed RB and another TE.  Not to mention RG, RT (and defense).  15 mill in cap space and a handful of picks.  Hopefully Beane can hit on our later picks like he hit on Davis and Bass (possibly Hodgins and Jackson too) last year.  

we won’t fill all of our holes.....but that’s ok.  17

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not optimistic about Williams at this point. Personally I think he should be a priority. But sounds like Beane is ready to move ahead with Ford at RT, and maybe sign a depth guy like Rick Wagner plus another draft pick. If they're letting Williams test the market 90% of the time that means the player is gone.

Not sure it's nearly as high as 90% as many players think their worth is much higher than it is.  Once they find out what the interest really is, they sign for much less and maybe back with their original team.

Admittedly don't think Williams will be one of these as likely he will be gone.

25 minutes ago, QCity said:

It's the right move with that cap number. Burners don't age gracefully, and his injury history isn't likely to improve at 31. He had a great 2019.

Unfortunately I agree. I just hope the money is for keeping Allen clean. I don't wanna take a weapon from Allen and lose a keystone on the Oline and expect Allen to replicate an mvp runner up season.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

. After cutting brown, our O could really use a speed WR, a speed RB and another TE.  Not to mention RG, RT (and defense).  15 mill in cap space and a handful of picks.  Hopefully Beane can hit on our later picks like he hit on Davis and Bass (possibly Hodgins and Jackson too) last year.  

we won’t fill all of our holes.....but that’s ok.  17

On the D they need Milano replacement, Murphy upgrade and  maybe CB2 as well...

Think they need a few more restructures as $15M wont get you far even in this market...

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s what 6’2? Has great size and body control. Typically your big guys aren’t going to run in the 4.3s-4.4s, right around 4.5 is about what is acceptable for guys that size. Obviously if they run faster than that, that’s great, they’re freaks, but his speed is good enough is what I’m saying. Think the value in a player like Gabe Davis is he’s big. He can outmuscle most CBs for jump balls and he can beat them while they’re playing in press coverage. And once again, great body control. You can throw it to the opposite side of the CB and he has the wingspan, the hands and nimble feet to haul it in. Also helps in run blocking. He’s going to manhandle most CBs..

I remember reading (can't recall where) that Daboll's system is predicated on guys who get separation. Diggs and Beasley separate with ease, and Brown is good at it too because of his speed. As I understood it, there's a movement among OCs more generally away from big-catch-radius/jump ball guys who might struggle to separate. N'Keal Harry was regarded as a catch radius freak when he came out, but he can't separate and isn't any good as a consequence. I think Davis isn't all that great at separating because a) he's not particularly fast and b) he doesn't have a ton of stop/start quickness or hip wiggle. He still looks like a solid contributor, but I'm wary about him as a number two. Bear in mind that slightly over 1/6 of his yardage production this season came on two Barkley rainbow passes versus the Dolphins in a blowout during garbage time.   

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Bear in mind that slightly over 1/6 of his yardage production this season came on two Barkley rainbow passes versus the Dolphins in a blowout during garbage time.   

On the flip side.. he had several big plays taken away by the refs..

But I get your point... he is not a No 2 yet... hopefully can continue to grow...

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I remember reading (can't recall where) that Daboll's system is predicated on guys who get separation. Diggs and Beasley separate with ease, and Brown is good at it too because of his speed. As I understood it, there's a movement among OCs more generally away from big-catch-radius/jump ball guys who might struggle to separate. N'Keal Harry was regarded as a catch radius freak when he came out, but he can't separate and isn't any good as a consequence. I think Davis isn't all that great at separating because a) he's not particularly fast and b) he doesn't have a ton of stop/start quickness or hip wiggle. He's still pretty good, but I'm wary about him as a number two. Bear in mind that slightly over 1/6 of his yardage production this season came on two Barkley rainbow passes versus the Dolphins in a blowout during garbage time.   

My friend, my friend but Davis averaged 17.1 yards a catch and had 7 TDs. So that’s 599yds off of 35 catches as a rookie. WR has a very steep learning curve, there is no doubt in my mind he can double that next year. How is he any different than Kenny Golladay, Mike Evans or some of these other big receivers? They’re not burners either. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Victory Formation said:

My friend, my friend but Davis averaged 17.1 yards a catch and had 7 TDs. So that’s 599yds off of 35 catches as a rookie. WR has a very steep learning curve, there is no doubt in my mind he can double that next year. How is he any different than Kenny Golladay, Mike Evans or some of these other big receivers? They’re not burners either. 

I don't dislike him! But bear in mind that 107 of those yards and 2 of those TDs came late in an utter blowout against a completely dispirited opponent that was on its way to giving up 56 points. That alone boosted ypc average from 14.9 to 17.1. 14.9 is still very good. But the stat line is a little deceiving.  

48 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I suspect they might be looking to the draft for that...unless someone like John Ross wants to sign a 1 yr deal on the cheap...

John Ross might be fast but in an unspectacular WR. If want a Brown replacement I look at Stills, Marvin Hall, Phillip Dorsett before I even consider Ross. Ultimately think we'd be wise to draft someone to replace Brown and Roberts. I'd love getting D'Wayne Eskridge in Round 5.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1