Looks like John Brown was released

1 minute ago, Process said:

When people reference #1 and 2 WRs they usually referring to outside guys. You know what I mean. Yes Beas > Davis as an option in the passing game. 

I'm pretty confident the Bills are going with Davis, otherwise just restructure Brown. 

I think if the Bills spend on a receiving option it'll be TE. I can see them signing a cheaper option, someone mentioned Ross and Stills. Both make sense. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just don't have many examples of big money on free agent TEs working. 

Last year was Austin Hooper. Didn't really live up to the deal. I'm all for a bargain though if there is one. 

I have heard rumors that Zach Ertz is on the table from Philly, and he was their best offensive weapon the past few years.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.png.971bbba2707934c7299580de6dd9284e.png

😥😥

Not sure how the team gets faster on offense by cutting John Brown and letting McKenzie walk in FA, but given the cap situation and all the holes it probably had to happen.

I know and I'm kind of sad. Curtis Samuel is all I can think of...

Speed on offense is something we need to address...

15 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Gabe isn't slow and he's always been at his best as a vertical threat. Still might not ultimately be the #2 guy out wide that we need but he's always projected as a fit there if he develops the right way and he developed very well over the course of his rookie season.

I thought Davis was a great rookie player. I think my concern is the fact he still needs to develop into a true number two. I’m not putting him down, I just don’t see how starting him over Brown is an even trade off. People underestimate how much an opponent must plan for a player like Brown who can always beat them deep. Davis is known as a vertical threat, but he has a lot to learn with tracking the ball, and making contested catches down field. There were several plays last season you knew Diggs or Brown would have made. This isn’t an insult to Davis, I’m just not all that comfortable with him as a number two. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

Smoke was a good player and a good Bill. 2019 was a solid year for him, and in the last 30 years the Bills WR who've got 70 plus grabs can be counted on one hand (or so). He was a little overpriced at 10 million per year for us, but I'm surprised he didn't have trade value as an 8 million per year guy to someone else.

The Bills can't be paying 10 million per year to a # 4 WR, the need to replace McKenzie and Roberts also likely played a role. Why not find a guy who can do all three roles? The answer probably lies in the draft, but I'd be surprised if the Bills didn't make some moves here in FA as insurance.

I'd be very interested in the details of this release; was a restructure attempted? Was he shopped in trade?

When on his game, John Brown is a 70 plus catch 7-10 TD guy, with a few more nuances to his game than just a true burner. He can do some aspects of a possession guy, is good in the locker room (rare for a WR), and runs solid routes. Those guys don't grow on trees.

However, he can't stay healthy. This is been his big problem year after year...and this is why he's not worth a multi-year deal or the kind of money he's looking for. Best of luck to John, unless he goes to the Pats or Phish or something...

I have high hopes for Gabe Davis, and think we'll be fine at WR. Let's not forget Isaiah Hodges as well.

Edited by RichRiderBills

Ah sucks...Enjoyed watching him play in a Bills uni. Thanks smoke for the hard work and effort, also a big factor in the constant improvement of Josh Allen. Played a major role, arguably the biggest role in the 2019 season that helped Allen start to show what he could do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Ah sucks...Enjoyed watching him play in a Bills uni. Thanks smoke for the hard work and effort, also a big factor in the constant improvement of Josh Allen. Played a major role, arguably the biggest role in the 2019 season that helped Allen start to show what he could do.

Basically, Brown got replaced by a better version of himself. Sucks but that’s the business. Seems like a legit good dude and he will have no problem finding a new team.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Basically, Brown got replaced by a better version of himself. Sucks but that’s the business. Seems like a legit good dude and he will have no problem finding a new team.

yeah, think most of us expected this, but silver lining is when he was out all those games the offense didn't seem to drop all that much, if any .

4 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I like Gabe Davis a lot, but I hope they don’t count on using him as the number two next season. Our offense was fine without Brown, and I’m not overly concerned, but I see Davis as a third option. His lack of speed worries me. 

His 40 time was .02 faster than Davante Adams.

50 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

When on his game, John Brown is a 70 plus catch 7-10 TD guy, with a few more nuances to his game than just a true burner. He can do some aspects of a possession guy, is good in the locker room (rare for a WR), and runs solid routes. Those guys don't grow on trees.

However, he can't stay healthy. This is been his big problem year after year...and this is why he's not worth a multi-year deal or the kind of money he's looking for. Best of luck to John, unless he goes to the Pats or Phish or something...

I think this last isn't painting quite a correct picture.  Brown played 16 games for the Ravens + a playoff in 2018 and 15 games + a playoff in 2019 for the Bills (healthy scratch for the final reg. season game).

However, it wasn't just the number of injuries Brown had this season (3 different injuries) but that he really struggled against physical coverage and was taken totally out of 2 playoff games and 2 regular season games where he played.  We can't pay top dollar to a WR who gets erased so easily.

• Like (+1) 1