Looks like John Brown was released

I tip my cap to Smoke for the past 2 years.  But age and salary caught up with him.  Best of luck to him.

And they won't use a lot of resources to find his replacement.  I think Davis will be the #2 WR and they'll look to add a cheaper speed WR in FA.

Would have liked to retain him, he was an important piece in the teams growth, thanks JB 👍

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If we make a relatively big splash at WR, I would guess that it's Curtis Samuel (absolutely perfect fit and former Panther) or Emmanuel Sanders (we were interested before and he's versatile enough to fill Brown's spot or fill in in the slot sometimes as well.

Can’t see them freeing up this money to spend on another receiver... this Is going towards Williams or a pass rusher 

• Agree 2

Just now, JOSH HUFF said:

Should have restructured or found a way to keep him.  I like Davis but he is not Brown, SPEED!  You cant just plug anyone on the roster and match Brown.  Jefferson was a good release, not impressed with him.  

They could have kept him.  Whether they wanted to keep him and asked him to take a pay cut which he refused, or didn't and just cut him is anyone's guess.

Just now, JOSH HUFF said:

Should have restructured or found a way to keep him.  I like Davis but he is not Brown, SPEED!  You cant just plug anyone on the roster and match Brown.  

Maybe they got some advice from their medical team on his injury situation that they didn’t like...maybe they offered a restructure and he said no...

Not shocking but disappointed Brown didn't stay for one more season at a reduced rate. Guess the Bills either like Gabe Davis a lot more or Brown didn't want to come off his pay that much to make it work. Not shocking they released Q.Jefferson either and got Butler to restructure. One of those two was leaving and the other was also leaving or taking a pay cut. With Ed and Phillips there and Star coming back there just was only so much room on the roster. Between Butler and Jefferson I would have rather taken Jefferson at a reduced rate but once again who knows what they were willing to take pay cut wise. 

14.1 million freed up in addition to the 2 million from Mitch leaves them with 16 million in additional space. I suspect Butler will add 2-3 million in that and they will likely release Lee Smith to free up another 2.25 million. Hoping that they do something to lower Hughes and Addisions cap numbers too. I know they can also do some cap magic with Diggs, White, Dawkins and Poyer's salaries too.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And Kenny Stills still needs to do something.  Bills did not see him do enough to activate him for playoffs even with starting WRs injured.

With how short of a time he was with the Bills, barring a WR being ruled out, I didn't think he'd have enough time to get up to speed.  But it would be interesting to know the team's feelings about him, or any FA WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.png.971bbba2707934c7299580de6dd9284e.png

😥😥

Not sure how the team gets faster on offense by cutting John Brown and letting McKenzie walk in FA, but given the cap situation and all the holes it probably had to happen.

The simple answer is it almost certainly will not be faster, at least not at the WR position. Brown and McKenzie are the only WRs that ever stood a chance of being replaced this offseason and they're the two fastest on the team.

It's possible we'll add speed at TE or RB but I don't think speed necessarily needs to be a priority personally. I think we're basically all set at RB and I'd prefer a versatile TE over a purely athletic one.

Still, Henry or Jonnu would be a boost to our TE position's athleticism while also being more versatile than, say, Gerald Everett.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not optimistic about Williams at this point. Personally I think he should be a priority. But sounds like Beane is ready to move ahead with Ford at RT, and maybe sign a depth guy like Rick Wagner plus another draft pick. If they're letting Williams test the market 90% of the time that means the player is gone.

I don't get the Cody Ford love from Beane.  Certainly not as it relates to pass pro.

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe they got some advice from their medical team on his injury situation that they didn’t like...maybe they offered a restructure and he said no...

Given his connection with Josh I suspect the Bills offered him a chance to restructure and either he didn't want to or he didn't want to take enough of a pay cut to where it made sense from the Bills perspective. It is unfortunate as I would have loved to have kept him but only at a cap number that made sense. 

2 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I don't get the Cody Ford love from Beane.  Certainly not as it relates to pass pro.

I like Ford to compete with Ike for the LG spot. Hoping Ford taps into his potential as he has flashed good play at times. O-line play sometimes takes guys a year or two or even three before they get going in the NFL. But they can't be considering Ford for RT. They have to make a good play to keep D.Williams here. Let Milano walk and even let Mongo walk but don't let Williams go unless it is for stupid money. 

1 hour ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Dam, figured this was coming but still saddens me to think he won’t be back. He and Cole came hear and help start the turnaround. Injuries definitely have curtailed his career! Will root for him and hope he lands somewhere beneficial to his skill set!

Unless it’s the Patriots, Jets, or fish of course.