Looks like John Brown was released

I like Gabe Davis a lot, but I hope they don’t count on using him as the number two next season. Our offense was fine without Brown, and I’m not overly concerned, but I see Davis as a third option. His lack of speed worries me. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

We’ve seen too many 1 hit rookie wonders to think they are putting all the eggs in that basket, I think they add a WR in FA. Maybe even Brown on a very cheap deal 

Like who?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Probably the right decision. Thanks for 2019 JB.

Was hoping he would be opened to a restructure or pay cut. He obviously feels he can get more in FA and he's probably right. When healthy he's proven to be a high end #2. I was expecting more from Jefferson when he was acquired. Not a big loss on that end.

43 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Can’t see them freeing up this money to spend on another receiver... this Is going towards Williams or a pass rusher 

And a WR somewhere in the first 5 rounds of the draft.  Our offense needs to get better.  Not stay the same.  

Sad to see him go.

Unfortunately something had to give due to the cap situation.

As someone else mentioned, Smoke was a big part of the original turning around of the offense.

His career seems to have gone in fits and starts in respect of injuries.

Ironically, I think he's due for another healthy year, but with the cap hit, the risk was too much, imho.

Good luck Smoke, against any team not called the Bills, the guy was a class act, full stop.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And a WR somewhere in the first 5 rounds of the draft.  Our offense needs to get better.  Not stay the same.  

Yeah didn’t have a problem with that... just don’t see them spending big on Curtis Samuel ...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am actually surprised by this. I thought for sure JB was an easy restructure. 

we are really going to need to replace him with another speedster. The offense looked 1000 times better when JB was out there and 100% healthy. 

I thought our offense looked amazing vs the niners, Denver and NE.  Tough to be 1000x’s better than our offense was in those 3 games

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I like Gabe Davis a lot, but I hope they don’t count on using him as the number two next season. Our offense was fine without Brown, and I’m not overly concerned, but I see Davis as a third option. His lack of speed worries me. 

If they feel he wasnt ready for the #2 they wouldn't have cut Smoke. The #2 doesn't necessarily have to be a burner. I value separation over speed in a WR. If they still need a speedster there will be cheaper options out there.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Jefferson actually does have a dead cap hit of 1.5 million according to Spotrac. But the savings still amount to 6.5 million given that he had an $8 million cap number.

I was going to say this.  Pretty sure Sal pulled his numbers from Overthecap, which had an error for Q's contract showing him as 0 dead cap (but the cap hit and the salary did not add up, unless there was an amortized signing bonus that would create dead cap.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Gabe isn't slow and he's always been at his best as a vertical threat. Still might not ultimately be the #2 guy out wide that we need but he's always projected as a fit there if he develops the right way and he developed very well over the course of his rookie season.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Figured this was coming. I'm hoping they are opening up cap space to sign an upper tier pass rusher. Brown can be replaced in the draft or with Kenny Stills.

Very true. We absolutely have to find, steal, sign or trade for a very good pass rusher. It must be our top priority. I will always appreciate what Smoke meant to Josh's year 2 development. 

• Agree 1

Smart move.  Davis really emerged, and you can't keep everyone. This really helps the cap.

Gonna miss Brown, though.  Such a fun player to watch when healthy. A great Bill.  I'll root for him wherever he goes...

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Karlos, Foster come to mind. 

I know it’s not a huge list or concern, just McBeane MO is make guys over-earn it

I think, frankly, in those cases the "tea leaves" spelling "trouble ahead" were there.    Williams of course was a known risk from his college days that the Bills took a shot on under Whaley.

Foster got his ass cut and sent down to the practice squad for 3 games his rookie year after being blanked for receptions in 4 games.  He got a little ass-chewing by Shady to help him straighten out.   Point being his rookie year, he was showing signs of not being "bought in" with expectations for training and practice and of having the attitude he'd "arrived".

Davis of course could go that route, but by all accounts he came in knowing the playbook and going hard every chance.  Smoke Brown was pretty clear in saying "he's helping us" with the playbook, and Davis blocks like a son of a gun every play.   His attitude seems to be "I respect the guys that are here, and I'm gonna do everything I can to take someone's job".

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think, frankly, in those cases the "tea leaves" spelling "trouble ahead" were there.    Williams of course was a known risk from his college days that the Bills took a shot on under Whaley.

Foster got his ass cut and sent down to the practice squad for 3 games his rookie year after being blanked for receptions in 4 games.  He got a little ass-chewing by Shady to help him straighten out.   Point being his rookie year, he was showing signs of not being "bought in" with expectations for training and practice and of having the attitude he'd "arrived".

Davis of course could go that route, but by all accounts he came in knowing the playbook and going hard every chance.  Smoke Brown was pretty clear in saying "he's helping us" with the playbook, and Davis blocks like a son of a gun every play.   His attitude seems to be "I respect the guys that are here, and I'm gonna do everything I can to take someone's job".

All good points, and if they do line him up across from Diggs he’ll have earned it.