Fox News becomes even less recognizable as "News"

WideNine

Fox News has doubled-down on the dumb. Ratings are down and they are getting set for a 4-year run of sensationalizing conspiracy theories with more hate and disinformation to get their viewership back up. There is a MAGA herd of hurt folks out there ripe for the pickings too.

It was already tough for real journalists to practice objective journalism on their platform where for years the actual news-worthy segments lost more and more air-time to loud -mouth opinion purveyors whose opinions were delivered as if they were actually vetted news. There are quite a few conservative journalist that I respect that have jumped ship over the years for just this reason.

I see this trend on some left-leaning sites too and it is frustrating for those that appreciate good investigative journalism. My news feeds on my phone are chuck full of opinion pieces. Too many do not differentiate those from facts or news. Kind of wish I had a better way of filtering those out I would rather get the facts and come up with my own opinions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/fox-news-fires-a-dozen-staffers-including-political-ed-chris-stirewalt/ar-BB1cTZ8P

24 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

They're going to "both sides" all the issues to try to stay afloat. 

I actually like Wallace. He is a great interviewer and when pressed by his colleagues on who he voted for he told them that it was not their business and he votes for the man not the party. To each their own, so not trying to convince folks to feel the same way.

I do think that he is one of the last few that give them a shred of credibility and he called Trump on his Covid-19 lies during a rare interview that Trump allowed. It had him all rage-Tweeting later about how the standards had fallen at Fox... you know, because someone there told him he was making stuff up.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll admit it. I used to watch some Fox News.

I'm kind of contrarian by nature, however, so it annoys me to no end when these news outlets have their guy in power.

I watched some MSNBC when Olberman was trying to get W impeached, then avoided it when it was all praise for Obama. Likewise I couldn't stand Fox when Trump was elected and I subject myself to MSNBC, mostly just Brian Williams (who has a great dry sense of humor that overpowers the typical indignation there).

Now, I'll have to wait and see. For actual "news" I watch BBC's half hour most nights. A little outsider perspective on our crazy politics is refreshing, plus they don't ignore the rest of the world the way our main news channels do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I wish CNN and MSNBC would both do more investigative journalism. MSNBC is all politics, and with Trump gone they won’t get the ratings they have been getting. Fox is just what it is, and I don’t see changing 

I was just thinking about how people won’t wake up and check CNN or Fox News to see what stupid thing Trump did while they slept all the time. 

Like or hate Trump, he drove news ratings.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm kind of contrarian by nature, however, so it annoys me to no end when these news outlets have their guy in power.

I watched some MSNBC when Olberman was trying to get W impeached, then avoided it when it was all praise for Obama. Likewise I couldn't stand Fox when Trump was elected and I subject myself to MSNBC, mostly just Brian Williams (who has a great dry sense of humor that overpowers the typical indignation there).

Now, I'll have to wait and see. For actual "news" I watch BBC's half hour most nights. A little outsider perspective on our crazy politics is refreshing, plus they don't ignore the rest of the world the way our main news channels do.

It would be really nice if you could find a news out let that didn't have a agenda or just reported the factual news from investigative reporters with out bias but i don't know if one exists .

Comedians too . Use to be you could watch a show and laugh like back when Carson was on or in the early days of Letterman it was great because they took us away from all the BS a little political stuff but not a lot but today "funny" has a hole new meaning and direction .

I have pretty much given up on both avenues for any entertainment or info I truly don't know how Colbert will survive now that Trump is gone that was his entire premise not that there wasn't enough ammo for him but really every show every monolog every skit - very tiring !

I use to watch him every once in a while before he got this gig and he use to be funny but since has shown he too puts his personal political views & politics as his main source of material and also when he chooses his guests so i just watch hunting shows or north woods law to escape the BS that surrounds todays programing .

Even Bill Maher had a couple of decent things to say every once in a while it wasn't a continuous bash session for every show and his show is mostly his political views ! TV sure isn't what it use to be - well nothing really is ...

Edited by T master

My favorite is Brian Williams at 11pm on MSNBC and Chris Wallace on Sunday Fox

Hannity suffers steep post-election decline: Fox News host collapses with 3-to-1 ratings loss to CNN

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/13/hannity-suffers-steep-post-election-decline-fox-news-host-collapses-with-3-to-1-ratings-loss-to-cnn_partner/

Edited by ALF

28 minutes ago, ALF said:

My favorite is Brian Williams at 11pm on MSNBC and Chris Wallace on Sunday Fox

Hannity suffers steep post-election decline: Fox News host collapses with 3-to-1 ratings loss to CNN

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/13/hannity-suffers-steep-post-election-decline-fox-news-host-collapses-with-3-to-1-ratings-loss-to-cnn_partner/

I'm a Brian Williams fan. If you've ever seen him on the late night talk shows (maybe it was Fallon?) he has is unexpectedly witty.

As far as Colbert goes: I kind of like the guy, but he's just not funny. His Bill O'Reilly schtick is what got him popular, but that's a long, long time ago. It's the kind of stuff now that doesn't really get laughs but goes for the knowing chuckle and applause - "we agree with you, Stephen!" Which is fine for people who enjoy watching other affirm their beliefs, but which isn't actually comedy.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

As opposed to CNN and running 4 years of conspiracy theories about Trump and Russia?  I mean did you pay attention to the last four years?

This is VERY dishonest.  They reported a special counsel investigation run by a Republican referred by Trumps DOJ.  I'm not saying they didn't run with it, but they surely didn't invent it.  If anything it was wrong of Hannity to insist it was nothing before he even knew ANY facts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, daz28 said:

This is VERY dishonest.  They reported a special counsel investigation run by a Republican referred by Trumps DOJ.  I'm not saying they didn't run with it, but they surely didn't invent it.  If anything it was wrong of Hannity to insist it was nothing before he even knew ANY facts.

I do think "conspiracy" is too grand for what Trump's campaign did. Opportunistic without a care in the world regarding campaign regulations and laws would be more fitting.

If some of the most strident doubters here would just read the bipartisan Senate Intelligence report rather than just taking the twisted cliff notes of Ted Cruz, they would be better informed.

Many on the outgoing staff of Obama were concerned that Trump's campaign just were not taking seriously their exposure and interactions with Russian contacts. This is reflected in the report as a bit of an excuse. That their inexperience made them more susceptible to doing something stupid like coordinating with Russia's attempts to influence the election.

Does not take a conspiracy, just those that think the laws do not apply to them and a hefty amount of ignorance and ego.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

BBC is the closest thing I find to actual news on TV, the outsider perspective is refreshing and a hell of a lot more balanced than anything you can get on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.  

Edited by Tenhigh

16 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

BBC is the closest thing I find to actual news on TV, the outsider perspective is refreshing and a hell of a lot more balanced than anything you can get on Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.  

BBC is sadly much more news oriented than any of the 24 hour news channels in America. 

• Agree 2

instead of complaining about a particular mainstream media news source...fox, msn, cnn...ect ect (they are all sensationalized biased garbage) 

why not share what you feel is a solid news source? 

ill start. i think (rising) on youtube is a very fair balanced place to get political news. a liberal and a consevative share the platform so you get both sides and AMAZINGLY report what they don't like IN THEIR OWN PARTY! 😱😱😱😱 

so i started. whats everyone else got?

Edited by Buffarukus

"News" died on 9/11.  

Similar to the downfall of ESPN, cable news is now just a menagerie of echo chambers of talking heads "personalities" spewing opinion.

Americans tunes into the echo chamber that validates their personal beliefs and opinions.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You knew it was gonna happen: presenting your newest Fox News insider analyst! Basically her same old job, better pay. Maybe they'll even give her the "leg chair" - that oughta be worth a little bonus.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kayleigh-mcenany-likely-to-join-fox-news-because-of-course

Good for her.

this is a good a place as any  The Lunatics are still running free!!

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6228176776001#sp=show-clips

Tucker: Democrats mobilize US military to suppress domestic opinions

Tucker Carlson Tonight' host explains what's behind Joe Biden's wave of changes to our basic institutions

11 hours ago, BillStime said:

Now I thought Fox News supported the blue?

Guess it is hard to show Trumps audience the consequences of Trump’s insurrection. 

Fake all around...

Well today they are ok to watch... Maybe tomorrow that changes again. 

So hard to figure out which news the Repubs like b.c they only like lies being told to them.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:04 PM, Unforgiven said:

Fox News becomes even less recognizable as "News"....

well, they are on the way to joining the mainstream fairy tale outlets.

this is nothing new.   even back to 2001 when I first started paying attention to them.   I stopped around 2003 with the exception of Shep Smith

they are an opinion outlet with maybe 4 total hours of news per day.  

40 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

this is nothing new.   even back to 2001 when I first started paying attention to them.   I stopped around 2003 with the exception of Shep Smith

they are an opinion outlet with maybe 4 total hours of news per day.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, WideNine said:

Fox News has doubled-down on the dumb. Ratings are down and they are getting set for a 4-year run of sensationalizing conspiracy theories with more hate and disinformation to get their viewership back up. There is a MAGA herd of hurt folks out there ripe for the pickings too.

It was already tough for real journalists to practice objective journalism on their platform where for years the actual news-worthy segments lost more and more air-time to loud -mouth opinion purveyors whose opinions were delivered as if they were actually vetted news. There are quite a few conservative journalist that I respect that have jumped ship over the years for just this reason.

I see this trend on some left-leaning sites too and it is frustrating for those that appreciate good investigative journalism. My news feeds on my phone are chuck full of opinion pieces. Too many do not differentiate those from facts or news. Kind of wish I had a better way of filtering those out I would rather get the facts and come up with my own opinions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/fox-news-fires-a-dozen-staffers-including-political-ed-chris-stirewalt/ar-BB1cTZ8P

While I agree for the most part, let’s be honest- none of the mainstream media outlets really practices journalism anymore...I see it more as op-ed 24/7...👍

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

While I agree for the most part, let’s be honest- none of the mainstream media outlets really practices journalism anymore...I see it more as op-ed 24/7...👍

On this we can agree. Sensationalism is the name of the game, but it is a dangerous game just to court viewership and ad revenue.

Have switched to just reading mostly AP News... amazing how pared down it is. So much garbage is passed along in the name of "news". Opinion pieces clutter the landscape along with a healthy does of divisive material.  I do understand that it is kind of the new norm.

I don't need to know every time folks of different color get into a squabble, how about when they do something nice for each other? Nor do I need to know every disagreement politicians have, or what shoes AOC is wearing. We have been gradually conditioned to a herd mentality of polarization and running from one artificially hyped "news" crisis to the next. As some here have recommended, it is healthy to step off the crazy train now and then and just read something meaningful or get a hobby.

With Reuters and AP News they just kind of stick to the larger boring salient issues and reporting . I realize that is not the entertainment that many people tune in for. It's not perfect, just better for my sanity.

For investigative journalism I prefer NPR and have for the last 20 years. Since they are a publicly-funded non-profit there is less of an editorial sway set by some weird billionaire ownership. They were great for my long commutes to work, although their money-drives would get on my nerves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, WideNine said:

On this we can agree. Sensationalism is the name of the game, but it is a dangerous game just to court viewership and ad revenue.

Have switched to just reading mostly AP News... amazing how pared down it is. So much garbage is passed along in the name of "news". Opinion pieces clutter the landscape along with a healthy does of divisive material.  I do understand that it is kind of the new norm.

I don't need to know every time folks of different color get into a squabble, how about when they do something nice for each other? Nor do I need to know every disagreement politicians have, or what shoes AOC is wearing. We have been gradually conditioned to a herd mentality of polarization and running from one artificially hyped "news" crisis to the next. As some here have recommended, it is healthy to step off the crazy train now and then and just read something meaningful or get a hobby.

With Reuters and AP News they just kind of stick to the larger boring salient issues and reporting . I realize that is not the entertainment that many people tune in for. It's not perfect, just better for my sanity.

For investigative journalism I prefer NPR and have for the last 20 years. Since they are a publicly-funded non-profit there is less of an editorial sway set by some weird billionaire ownership. They were great for my long commutes to work, although their money-drives would get on my nerves.

Its amazing when you actually listen to the actual congressional and senate hearings yourself, then the spin applied by respective cable ‘op-Ed’ channels. It’s unfortunate whats happened with media. Maybe it’s always been that way. 

Regarding AP... I used to believe they were unbiased, maybe they were, but then I’ve noticed some interesting omissions. 

as one example they have a story up right now about AOCs testimony of her personal trauma from the capital insurrection, and believing rioters looking for her etc, but failed to mention she wasn’t in the capital building but across the street in her office in a building that wasn’t raided. 

Not minimizing the feeling it was scary for her in general, but it seems like a material fact, doesn’t it? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 2/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, WideNine said:

i like rising on youtube setup. a democrat, a republican both telling their side and GASP! calling out their own as well without bickering or name calling. its a pretty balanced show that emphasizes the people vs the corruption instead of trying to have us at each others throats constantly. 

Edited by Buffarukus

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its amazing when you actually listen to the actual congressional and senate hearings yourself, then the spin applied by respective cable ‘op-Ed’ channels. It’s unfortunate whats happened with media. Maybe it’s always been that way. 

Regarding AP... I used to believe they were unbiased, maybe they were, but then I’ve noticed some interesting omissions. 

as one example they have a story up right now about AOCs testimony of her personal trauma from the capital insurrection, and believing rioters looking for her etc, but failed to mention she wasn’t in the capital building but across the street in her office in a building that wasn’t raided. 

Not minimizing the feeling it was scary for her in general, but it seems like a material fact, doesn’t it? 

I generally feel that many politicians are attention-seeking divas, and Alexandria is near the top of that list.

Still, most of her account checks out except for her over the top assertions regarding Cruz wanting to kill her... I think he is a spinless clown, but killer Cruz...

please.

Also, she makes the assumption that the bombs planted were planted by Trump supporters.

While plausible considering the makeup of the riot, the investigation on who actually planted those is ongoing.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/04/ask-politifact-where-was-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-/

One of many fact check sites I reviewed and they all generally align on the facts.

The Cannon building is actually part of the Capital Complex of buildings connected by walkways used by staff. Several buildings were surrounded, not just the dome.

"As the Capitol complex was stormed and people were being killed, none of us knew in the moment what areas were compromised," Ocasio-Cortez tweeted on Thursday in response to criticism from Republican Rep. Nancy Mace.

Mace, a South Carolina congresswoman, appeared to challenge Ocasio-Cortez's claims about what happened at the Cannon building. "I'm two doors down from @aoc and no insurrectionists stormed our hallway..."

Ocasio-Cortez's response to Mace noted that Mace told a newspaper in January that she had barricaded herself in her office during the attack.

Mace then responded: "*FACT CHECK* I have not once discounted your fear. We were ALL terrified that day. I'm stating the fact that insurrectionists were never in our hallway... because they weren't. I deal in facts. Unlike you, apparently."

Mace's "FACT CHECK" is misleading. Ocasio-Cortez never said that insurrectionists were in their hallway. Rather, in Ocasio-Cortez's telling of the story on Instagram, she said she had been scared that day by a man in her office she had thought was a rioter but turned out to be a Capitol Police officer.

She said the officer had not initially identified himself as a member of law enforcement, had been shouting, "Where is she?" and had looked at her "with a tremendous amount of anger and hostility."

Mace might have been confused because some journalists' initial tweets about Ocasio-Cortez's Instagram story did not correctly convey what Ocasio-Cortez had said about the police officer she had thought was a rioter. But she never said an actual rioter.

Regarding Ocasio-Cortez's accusations about the officer's behavior... kind of dumb.

I know with some degree of certainty that officers responding to a riot are very wary, amped up, and also usually pissed off.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

i like rising on youtube setup. a democrat, a republican both telling their side and GASP! calling out their own as well without bickering or name calling. its a pretty balanced show that emphasizes the people vs the corruption instead of trying to have us at each others throats constantly. 

Sounds like a revival of the CNN Crossfire show that Tucker Carlson used to co-host.

Jon Steward skewered the show as a guest and it was canceled soon after...not sure Tucker ever got over that.

The audio on this copy was crap, but plenty others out there. It is a good listen about polarization and partisan divide.

Edited by WideNine