Jump to content

Lack of pass rush non factor vs ravens?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Game planning against Lamar Jackson is a b!π©?

The pats**** game plan made Lamar Jackson look like b!a

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep. Turn a weakness into a strength. Maintain your space to limit big gaps. DE/Edge players play up field slightly to contain/prevent outside run escape. Put Tre on Hollywood all game. Put a LB

I recall last year we basically didn't come that hard with the front 4.   Just had discipline with our assignments on the edges and tried to push the middle of the pocket.  Throw in a couple delayed b

I’ve heard the term “muddle rush” used when defending guys like Lamar, and I’d agree that this should be the game plan.    Essentially, hem him into the pocket.     Focus on the run, and

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's the problem. We have zero speed from our front 4. So unless we can somehow trap him in the pocket (which might also require a spy) he's at risk of escaping. 

 

He's dangerous to the point where you have to concede he'll get his ground yards like other teams must concede that Josh will get his air yards.  A key is, when he inevitably escapes, do you hold him to a 15 yard gain or is it a 50 yard TD.

 

The game probably comes to down to red zone efficiency and whomever blinks first on a critical mistake.  I think we have a slight advantage on both of those fronts.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Jackson in the pocket, slowly collapse in on him, and if he slips through, that’s when the spy has to tackle him. Very easy said, not so easy done. Honestly, you don’t want ends that get up field to fast, the Bills don’t have those right now. Shaq had a good game last year setting the edge.  Hopefully Addison and Epinesa can do that this time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What did Darius Leonard say about Josh Allen? Keep him in the well?

 

Well that's what you do to Lamar.

 

A couple of things here.

  • You don't trust the Raven's to consistently pound the rock up the middle. They'll inevitably attempt the ZR with Lamar, or a playaction, or something.  That's when you gotta pounce
  • Bills might be the rare team to be able to contain Lamar on the outside. Both safeties fly to the football and are reliable tacklers. The Linebackers are both sideline to sideline. Hughes, the slimmed down AJ Epenessa, Quinton Jefferson, Ed Oliver and Mario Addison all offer above average speed at their positions.
  • The Ravens offense prohibits Lamar being effective against Zone defenses in the passing game, simply because they don't offer him enough reps to get comfortable doing so
  • Play contain with your DEs, and get your DTs to push up field rather than try and eat lineman, because again, I don't think the Ravens are disciplined enough to consistently hammer the middle

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

On the other hand, the Ravens sacked Josh Allen 6 times the last time we played them.

 

 

Yes but Josh eats the blitz up now.  Last year he was atrocious against the blitz last year. 

9 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Keep Jackson in the pocket, slowly collapse in on him, and if he slips through, that’s when the spy has to tackle him. Very easy said, not so easy done. Honestly, you don’t want ends that get up field to fast, the Bills don’t have those right now. Shaq had a good game last year setting the edge.  Hopefully Addison and Epinesa can do that this time. 

Edmunds played his best game against him.  Kept him hemmed in for the most part. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think a lot of those vintage lamar plays aren't scripted and the ravens offensive linemen probably have little to no idea where he is so it will be a much different scenario than the Colts offensive line stonewalling us 

Maybe they’ll get flagged for some holding calls because of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Maybe they’ll get flagged for some holding calls because of this.

I’m still shocked there was not one holding call on either offensive line on Saturday. I’m all for letting them play, but how is that possible? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

On the other hand, the Ravens sacked Josh Allen 6 times the last time we played them.

 

 

True but our oline is much improved. Gonna be tough don’t get me wrong but we are the better team here. But sometimes the better team does not win. Have to stay disciplined. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you want, but we’ll miss shaq lawson this game. First time since he left lol. 
He was fantastic in that ravens game last year. If I recall correctly there was a bunch of times Lamar went to break out the side and shaq was just standing there and it confused Jackson quite a bit. The ultimate 2 step and stand rush. The edges will be huge. Gonna be a big challenge on Hughes to hold his edge against the RT. Most of the damage is Dobbins to the left and Lamar to the right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I said last year we need to just hit him as much as possible. Assume every rpo he is running it and just hit him. Give up some plays to other guys if you need to. Just hit him all day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m still shocked there was not one holding call on either offensive line on Saturday. I’m all for letting them play, but how is that possible? 

It isn't possible lol they really took 'let them play' to the extreme which they capped off with that non reversal of the obvious fumble 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting concept.  The knock on Jackson is he doesn't read the field well and therefore he holds the ball long. Meaning they may have time to get home. 

I say rush four and drop 7 most of the game. Play zone almost exclusively.  That way the DBs and LB are always looking at the QB. Yes the Bills have the CBS to play man to man but in this case they shouldn't.  They should play bend but don't break and clog the middle of the field. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As is game planning against Josh Allen. Need to defend every inch of the field. And even then...

I’ll take Allen all day long.  Lamar may be a faster runner, but he can’t make all the throws Allen can make outside and across the field.  It makes sense to cover up the middle of the field where Lamar throws, and keep contain on the outside where most of the Ravens run as they don’t run up the middle as much.

 

It will be a good contest, but we should be able to win.  No guarantees, but our lines have to perform better than last Saturday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I recall last year we basically didn't come that hard with the front 4.   Just had discipline with our assignments on the edges and tried to push the middle of the pocket.  Throw in a couple delayed blitzes and that was the gameplan.   Give him some time to throw but don't let him run.   He seems to make his big plays on the ground when he escapes the pass rush...

 

I can see us employing similar gameplan.  Drop 6 or 7 back to make sure he doesn't run and throw in some timely blitzes.  

 

Thoughts. 

If the offense clicks like it did against the Colts, I guess the defense can play the sit-back and waiting game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Interesting concept.  The knock on Jackson is he doesn't read the field well and therefore he holds the ball long. Meaning they may have time to get home. 

I say rush four and drop 7 most of the game. Play zone almost exclusively.  That way the DBs and LB are always looking at the QB. Yes the Bills have the CBS to play man to man but in this case they shouldn't.  They should play bend but don't break and clog the middle of the field. 

 

This! . . . In my very non-football-educated opinion

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I said last year we need to just hit him as much as possible. Assume every rpo he is running it and just hit him. Give up some plays to other guys if you need to. Just hit him all day.

 

I like this as well .... get into his head, and body with some hurt!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a very simple and very real problem.  If a pass rusher beats his man, the that pass rusher has to try to tackle Jackson.  Jackson is much quicker and much faster than that pass rusher.  He usually dodges him and can dart around him and run in the direction the pass rusher came from.   Now the pass rusher is out of the picture,  Jackson is running into the gap that the rusher came from AND the beaten offensive lineman is often ahead of him to give him some protection.  ... ....  Yes, all this is simple and obvious but it is how Jackson turns a lunging pass rusher into a run into a gap in the defence. ... ... .... It might be better to  put pressure on, make Jackson take his eyes away from downfield,  make Jackson reposition and reset, and protect the gap.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...