The colts fumble that was not called

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Then let’s blame it on how—you know when your eyes are use to brightness then you walk in a semi-dark room and it appears pitch black—let’s blame it on that. Or maybe they get hypnotized in there. Who the hell knows what’s going on?

The ref was afraid to make the call that ended the game.

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

Right, I’m guessing, but I thought they were MS Surface tablets and not TVs anymore. What’s the screen rez on a Surface? My point is we are watching from home with more detail than the people making the call, as the avg TV and HDMI beats whatever is under their hood.

I don’t know, I’m an iPad guy and the resolution on it is astounding. I’m sure the MS Surface is similar. Plus NYC: I expect they’re looking at huge monitors. 

• Like (+1) 1

He was clearly off the ground but was difficult to say with 100% certainly that Poyer's hand wasn't touching his back prior to the knee coming up off the ground..  I don't think it was, but since they called him down by contact becomes difficult to overrule if can't tell with absolute certainty he wasn't touching him .

If it had been ruled a fumble, never would have been over ruled either.

That call was so obvious in every way it is unbelievable to have this happen.

More unbelievable McDermott had to rush to call a TO because they weren't even going to review it.

I don't understand what they are looking at.

The replays showed:

1) Pascal clearly was not touched while on the ground

2) Pascal clearly got up amd his knee was well off the ground before Poyer contacted him

3) Pascal clearly fumbled while still being up and wasn't even close to being down at the point

4) Tre made a clear recovery of the fumble

I mean how much more evidence do you need to overturn it?? It's almost like they let the play stand because they wanted end of game drama to ensue instead of a kneel down.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Disagree.  There's a very clear image that shows space between Pascal's leg and the ground and space between Poyer's hand and Pascal's waist.  Impossible to call in real time but crystal clear on replay, precisely the point of the replay.

I didn't believe that there was any chance whatsoever that any ref is overturning that call right there, so I only watched the initial replay and then went in the kitchen for a minute while the rest of the replay was ongoing, so I'll take your word for it.

That being said, his hand was close enough to his back that I would not have overturned that call to end the game.

19 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why is a call like this even the responsibility of 1 guy in the field looking at a tiny low Rez monitor??? MLB sends it back to a group of people that look at it from both teams cameras at all angles then tells the ump what to do.

Am I wrong about the NFL’s procedure here? 

Yeah, I thought there was a league official lending expert advice on close calls like that??

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

They should have ruled it a fumble on the field so it would be reviewed automatically without McD intervening. I thought that was basically the de facto protocol in these types of situations?

Yeah, it usually is, but I don't think anybody had the balls to throw a marker at that point in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

The initial call should have been a fumble an a recovery by the Bills. There was no whistle so WTF why would they call it down by contact? After the initial blown call the play should have been whistled dead by the officials to get a good look for sure but this incompetent crew didn't do that. Thats when McD had to do their job for them!! So thats two huge mistakes right off the bat. Then the ref takes forever to make a decision. What is the point of Riveron (or whoever)  in NYC ? does he make the final call or does the ref. You could clearly see that the receiver was not touched with his knee down and it was a fumble. The NFL is the only sports league that gets it wrong routinely after a clear replay shows what happened. Its also the only league where instead of officiating improving in the playoffs, its possibly worse!!

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If there's so.e type of grading system for officials, this crew or at least the head official needs to be knocked down a few notches.

Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist or allegedly intoxicated,  but I'm of the belief that had the game ended on that fumble a lot of revenue would have been lost from people changing the channel. Im not sure how anyone with a functional brain could watch that play and see that he didn't get up and then fumble. 

Al Riveron made the call. 
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/09/bills-hold-on-to-beat-colts-in-wild-postseason-opener/

• Thank you (+1) 1

It was clear and obvious to me and everyone else who watched it except the one guy who made the decision to let it stand, apparently.

Should have sealed the game.

BUT, you have to be prepared to to overcome bad calls. Glad the team was able to.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

After the initial blown call the play should have been whistled dead by the officials to get a good look for sure but this incompetent crew didn't do that

Yeah they did. That's why the Bills got the TO back