The colts fumble that was not called

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just a joke that this call can be clearly and obviously blown after a replay.

But the Bills put themselves in a position where 1 play could sink them..........and that didn't happen over one or a few plays........when you do that you leave yourself susceptible to a bad break or officiating mistake.

The Colts hung nearly 500 yards of offense on the Bills defense.    The Bills D wasn't playoff worthy.    Fortunately and ultimately,  neither was Philip Rivers.     He missed a wide open TD throw and other key inaccurate throws and couldn't even get the Hail Mary to the end zone from mid-field.:lol:

I agree with all of this. Also,  Rivers wasn't getting much help from his pass catchers. There were a lot of drops.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You could very well be right and I'll admit that I'm probably wrong based off that explanation (thank you for giving me an out because most conspiracies are created due to human incompetence).  My only question then is why did the head ref say that is Buffalo's third and final timeout?  Just a cross up in communication between the refs?

Also during the replay last night, one of the announcers talked about how they wait until the offense is about to snap the ball so that they don't get extra time.  And again the TO was returned to the Bills because the replay official stopped the play.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:40 PM, klos63 said:

inexcusable bad call by the refs.

It is unexcusable for Al Riveron, that was a bang bang play and the on field guys need to be given a little leeway, Riveron has slow mo and he was clearly wrong after taking 6 minutes

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Also during the replay last night, one of the announcers talked about how they wait until the offense is about to snap the ball so that they don't get extra time.  And again the TO was returned to the Bills because the replay official stopped the play.

Right but they were about to snap it and the refs said the Bills used their third and final timeout.  If they were buzzed wouldn’t they just say the previous play is under review?  Regardless, at least the refs should give a better explanation than “the play on the field stands.”  Communication needs to be better.

• Agree 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, Doc said:

Except that his knee was clearly off the ground and then he fumbled. Bills’ ball, game over.

That's way oversimplified.  The booth basically decided it was too close to call which I think is a fair call.

So it defaulted to the ruling on the field.  

We got a TON of really important calls our way in that game!  

But fans focus on this b/c it didn't go our way.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's way oversimplified.  The booth basically decided it was too close to call which I think is a fair call.

I get what you're saying.  One of Davis' sideline catches was clearly caught.  The second one wasn't clearly caught in bounds.  The call on the field was a catch and they couldn't see enough to over rule it.  If they did though, I could have accepted it because it was that close.

This fumble call was clear.  From the reaction across the board, from the game announcers, to pundits and NFL players across the country, it was clearly a bad call.  Colts fans on their message board even called it a bad call.  I'm not critical of the call on the field.  The official had one angle and only one watch of it.  I'm super critical of the replay booth.  They see all angles, slow motion, frame by frame.  There is no excuse for them getting it wrong. 

But as I said after the game, I'm glad the call didn't go our way.  I'd rather win the game with the call as it was called on the field.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You're right it's way oversimplified because his knee was clearly off the ground. 

I thought the in game officials did a pretty good job Saturday.  They could have put any of the Gabe Davis sideline catches under the microscope and failed to see a sliver of green grass between his shoe and the side line but maintained the call on the field.  I thought the camera angles on the field showed that Poyer had not yet touched Pascal down before that knee came back up off the ground but I suppose there is a chance that a defender made contact with Pascal at some point.

This is how the replay rule was originally meant to be handled.  A means to overturn obvious wrongs that any guy on a bar stool could see the replay and know whether the call was correct or not.  The Pascal fumble took minutes to review.  As written, that call should stand.  However, the replay rule has NEVER been administered as originally intended and NFL officials have consistently adjudicated on fractions of a second and millimeters.  If that same play happens in week 3, its a fumble.

Much like during last year's officiated debacle in our wild card round, I have to ask what is up with these crews establishing new precedent in the course of the game?

43 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I thought the in game officials did a pretty good job Saturday.  They could have put any of the Gabe Davis sideline catches under the microscope and failed to see a sliver of green grass between his shoe and the side line but maintained the call on the field.  I thought the camera angles on the field showed that Poyer had not yet touched Pascal down before that knee came back up off the ground but I suppose there is a chance that a defender made contact with Pascal at some point.

This is how the replay rule was originally meant to be handled.  A means to overturn obvious wrongs that any guy on a bar stool could see the replay and know whether the call was correct or not.  The Pascal fumble took minutes to review.  As written, that call should stand.  However, the replay rule has NEVER been administered as originally intended and NFL officials have consistently adjudicated on fractions of a second and millimeters.  If that same play happens in week 3, its a fumble.

Much like during last year's officiated debacle in our wild card round, I have to ask what is up with these crews establishing new precedent in the course of the game?

It has nothing to do with "chance."  Pascal wasn't contacted before going to the ground and his knee was clearly off the ground when Poyer first contacted him.